StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the new 2012 650 Vstrom, period! I think Suzuki did a great job on it. I never took my '05 off road nor intended to do so. It does go down a lot of back roads here including its share of gravel farm roads. It handles those with ease, even two-up with my sweetie on the back. (she has learned to sit still and let the driver handle the squirms).

BUT, sadly I will not be picking up a new Vstrom this year. In addition to my '05 Wee I already have a Triumph Tiger 1050 and think there is just not enough differential between them to warrant the price of the new Strom. Someday, when I grow tired of the Triumph I will probably sell it and my current '05 Strom and just get the new version.

Meanwhile, I see a lot to like about the new Strom. I like the instrumentation, especially that hand bar control switch to cycle it. Wish Triumph had done that. Also, seems they have worked on improving that windscreen that so many spent a lot of money replacing. The styling is a personal thing so judge that for yourself.

One thing that confuses me....where is the oil cooler?

I have held on to my '05 Wee as its just a great bike that is worth (to me) far more than its current used bike market value. Springing eight or nine big ones on a upgraded replacement just isn't in the works at this time. I got lucky a couple of years back and found a "left over" Tiger ABS for just a few bucks more than what a new 650 Strom is going to sell for. Love my Strom (enough to keep it) but the Tiger was a serious upgrade.

If you are looking for a Strom I would wait and get the 2012 model. However, I bet they will be hard to find for some time.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
To each their own, I guess. The styling alone is enough to keep me from getting one.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
One thing that confuses me....where is the oil cooler?

Now it's water cooled........

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The oil in the 2012 Glee-Strom is cooled like it is in the Gladius. There is an oil/coolant heat exchanger between the filter and the engine block. It warms the oil faster after engine start and keeps the temperature steadier while riding.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The oil in the 2012 Glee-Strom is cooled like it is in the Gladius. There is an oil/coolant heat exchanger between the filter and the engine block. It warms the oil faster after engine start and keeps the temperature steadier while riding.
OK, good idea! I never looked close enough at the Gladius engine. I am so use to my '05 Strom. Getting rid of the open oil cooler is not bad. It was exposed to damage out there and using the coolant to moderate oil temp is a common practice.

I will have to see the new Wee in person to judge the styling. When I told my wife they had a new model she suggested we get one. Seems the Vstom is her favorite bike to ride on the back of. She says its more comfortable and easier for her to get on to than the Tiger.

I can't find fault with my current model Wee to want to trade it off. Maybe if I rode one of the new ones I might change my mind. It seems Suzuki has made some good upgrades on it but I can see that many current owners may feel our "old models" are fine for us. Big issue with me is that my perfect condition low mileage '05 books at a pretty low price. Its certainly worth more to me than what I could get for it. Kelly Blue Book says its only worth $3700. So, trading up to a new one would cost me like $5,000 difference, certainly way more than I would want to spend for the difference between the machines.

If I were looking for a new Wee I would certainly opt for the new version however.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
To each their own, I guess. The styling alone is enough to keep me from getting one.
I'm sure you could pick up a used Gladius for cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I'm sure you could pick up a used Gladius for cheap.
Probably so. I suspect the same designer had a hand in them.

Are you kidding? The new styling makes me want to get one!
Like I said, to each their own. I don't like the styling and would never buy one. And, no, I am not kidding.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
Like I said, to each their own. I don't like the styling and would never buy one. And, no, I am not kidding.
Styling is a personal preference so there is no right or wrong. However, there is something that happens, especially as we age, that causes us to hate change. We like what we like and don't want to see it change. The older we get the stronger the effect.

You might always hate the style of the new Strom, but might find that after you have seen it for a while that is grows on you.

I never bought the Strom because of how it looks but have become rather fond of the current look. I think the new Strom looks great but I will buy one because of the improvements made.. Suzuki seems to have taken a number of things off of my wish list and incorporated them into the new Strom and that turns my crank.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The new Strom is not a consideration for me. I have already spent the dollars to do to mine what I wanted and just cannot see spending that money all over again just so I can have basically the same thing as it doesn't appear that all my farkles would move to the new bike.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the bike I have now. Besides, I am getting old and as we all know... Arm chair psych aside, I do like how the new bike looks (except the new headlight design. Not too crazy about that.)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This always happens when a great bike gets an up-date. Those of us who have had them for some years now tend to love our old ones and resist change. But then, how do you let go of a machine that has given you such great service and good times for years? Many of us have personalized our bikes and like them just the way they are. I would LOVE to have the instrumentation of the new model and the reduced weight and improved suspension but is it worth the $5k I would have to spend to get it? Well, no. Now, if someone stole my old one or it got destroyed in an accident I would certainly have no problem with the new model as a replacement.

Suzuki did the right thing and updated the bike. Look at the Kawasaki 650 KLR. They made that thing for like twenty years with only changes in color schemes. It finally got an update too. Times change.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Doesn't anybody else think that the smaller tank size is a step backwards?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doesn't anybody else think that the smaller tank size is a step backwards?
I do. Its one of the things I think they compromised on in the name of style. I like the bigger tank on my '05 but would love to have the instrumentation of the new bike.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I do. Its one of the things I think they compromised on in the name of style. I like the bigger tank on my '05 but would love to have the instrumentation of the new bike.
Sheeesh.... it has been pointed out time and time again... so you people are just not getting it... The fuel economy has increase so the 2 litres or so reduction in fuel tank size does not matter... Both models will go the same distance on a tank of fuel...:headbang:

Richard

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Probably so. I suspect the same designer had a hand in them.

+1, Same same.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Has anyone seen any information on what the 2012 alternator output is? It has not been listed in any of the reports I've seen.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Sheeesh.... it has been pointed out time and time again... so you people are just not getting it... The fuel economy has increase so the 2 litres or so reduction in fuel tank size does not matter... Both models will go the same distance on a tank of fuel...:headbang:
Ah, you're one of those who believe manufacturer's claims that fuel economy has been improved. The only fact is that the gas tank is smaller. The jury is still out as to whether economy improved. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't.

Styling is a personal preference so there is no right or wrong. However, there is something that happens, especially as we age, that causes us to hate change. We like what we like and don't want to see it change. The older we get the stronger the effect.

You might always hate the style of the new Strom, but might find that after you have seen it for a while that is grows on you.

I never bought the Strom because of how it looks but have become rather fond of the current look. I think the new Strom looks great but I will buy one because of the improvements made.. Suzuki seems to have taken a number of things off of my wish list and incorporated them into the new Strom and that turns my crank.
Very true, and you could be right about the styling. Only time will tell but right now I really, really dislike the styling. One thing certain is that I won't buy one though, regardless of styling, since I can't get it without ABS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The thing is, for long distance touring backcountry, bigger tank is better. With an increase in mileage I would also want the larger tank so I could go further on a tankful. Only seems sensible, no!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts