StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in west tennessee (at the moment) on a 3000 + mile road trip. my vee is running progressively worse. I believe it's the air filter, plugs, or the pc5. I'm going to stop at the closest dealer to get plugs and filter cleaner/filter oil. I hate to pay them $100 for something like this.
I'm headed back to Ohio taking two lane roads. This isn't an emergency (yet), I'd just like to find someone on my way that could give me a hand. I'm not on any specific route, if you can help out call or text me. 614 570 4056. Thanks, kip

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Symptoms please. What is it doing?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Text sent to Kip. I should be on his route home. I offered tools, my assistance and a place to overnight. Haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I talked with Kip on the phone and made him the same offer. I friggin forgot the common boot blow off though, but the symptoms he described are dead on for this.

Kip...you still listening. Check the throttle boots, you should be able to look up under the tank and see.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Just got off the phone with Kip. He should be here at my house at about 8:20PM tonight. I am going to put him up here tonight and we will see if we can get his bike running properly. I am retired so we can work on the bike tomorrow too. Hope it is as simple as a blown off boot. I have tools and such. We have two motorcycle shops in town, one is a Suzuki dealer so hopefully parts won't be a problem if we need them. Will let you all know when he is off the road and here at my house. He just has to make it another 3 hours and then he is cool.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Kip just rolled in. We will start on the bike in the AM. Seems as if it is having difficulty starting and is missing while riding. Will check throttle body boots first. We are also going to clean and recharge his K&N air filter while we have the tank off. Also going to look at his plugs (he has a new set with him) as he has probably fouled them riding the bike messed up (he rode from about New Orleans today). Will go from there if it doesn't fix bike. Going to feed him pizza in a few minutes (he is calling his wife to tell her where he is right now) then it will probably be shower and bed as he is pretty tired.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Road Problems

Very Good of you DougInKY, I live in Chattanooga and would have done the same if he was heading through here. As a member of the AMA, I would have to put in a plug for the free road service for all your vehicles, if you sign up for the auto renewal membership plan. Never had to use it yet, knock on wood. But, it's a bit of a piece of mind. I like the way this forum works though. An oasis in the storm for Kip. :hurray:
All the Best,
roadduster

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Kudos to Doug!!!!!!! :hurray:

Kip on the phone to wife: "Yes Dear, I'm OK. Met this great vstrom member here in Kentucky.......he's taking me to a quaint little titty bar tonight for supper.......I'll be fine........don't worry yourself"........:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
First! He didn't tell his wife about the titty bar for supper. He is smarter than that. <grin>

Actually, we had pizza and good talk when he got in. He was pretty beat. About 10 he hit the shower then the bed in our spare bedroom. We got up at 6am today, had coffee and some home made cookies my wife fixed last night and then about 7 went out to start on the bike. Pulled it out of my motorcycle shed where it had slept the night and checked the boots. They were in place. Crap, I knew it wasn't going to be as easy as that. Next we put his new spark plugs in with no joy. He unhooked his Autotune, still no joy but the bike was running a little better. At this point he decided that it was running good enough to make it home. We buttoned things up and I told him that if he broke down on the road to call me and I would at least get him home (he might have to find someplace to put the bike until he could arrange to get it home). He pulled out of my driveway about 30 minutes ago heading for mid ohio. Promised to text me to let me know he made it. Also promised me that he would let me know what had caused his problems when he finally gets it resolved.

Kip is a nice guy. Laid back and friendly. My wife and I enjoyed his stay as much as you can when you know you have someone staying with you that is still a ways from home and having troubles. I would do this again. I think I may have made a long term friend here. Expect that I will take him up on his offer of a stay at his place sometime.

Oh, and I said yesterday that he came out of New Orleans yesterday. Turns out that I had things wrong. He was in Arkansas and Memphis yesterday when he developed problems.

I wish him well and a safe arrival home to be with his wife, his dog and his cats.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
It sounds like he may have a fuel filter that is on it's way to being plugged...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Kip sent me a text at about 3:45pm CDT. He made it home. All is well that ends well.
:hurray:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Thanks guys for the nice things you guys have said. It was something I was glad to do. My wife agreed fully.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all my fellow strommers, you guys are great!
I made it home without issues, it's still missing, but I didn't notice it at the RPM's I was running on the freeway.
A special thanks to Doug and his wife Michelle for their gracious hospitality, I'm pleased to know there are still good people out there.
My wife is pleased that I was at Doug's and not the titty bar, she says thank you for my safe return (I'm questioning her sincerity) :green_lol:

Anyone traveling through Ohio and need help, (or just want a place to crash) give me a hollar. My contact info is here (I will double check).

OK.... fuel filter, is it in the tank?

I'll keep you updated on the outcome.

THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
858 Posts

OK.... fuel filter, is it in the tank?

I'll keep you updated on the outcome.

THANKS AGAIN!
if it is anything like the wee, it is in the fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts