StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught up to a couple on a bike coming back from a trip to the mountains. We were running along around 60 MPH when a deer came barreling across the median full speed like a guided missile and slammed right in to them. They went down instantly. I slowed and maneuvered around their bike, a BMW K1600 as it slid to a stop at the edge of the road. Deer was gone, after taking out a heavy motorcycle with two riders and lots of luggage, unbelievable, and it all happened in a flash. I stopped and ran back to see what I could do. The girl was up and calling for help. The guy was still conscious but was beat up pretty bad. They had full gear on and it really helped, I could see the abrasions. Others stopped and we got their bike up and off the road and when rescue arrived I left. I had 120 miles to ride to get home and I was paranoid and afraid to ride but I made it home. I just had one of the best three days of riding ever and now I don't know if I want to continue riding. Where I like to ride there are lots of deer and it's probably just a matter of time before one takes me out. Had a close call with a small one recently. It's these freak and non preventable situations that could keep me from continuing to ride. I'm really bummed. There's nothing I like to do more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sometimes they just come out of nowhere. I had 2 encounters with young deer on the BRP about 2+ weeks ago, just north of Boone. My mistake. I left out for a four day ride and kept going to get to Boone to stop for the night, should've just stayed in Mt Airy. The reason I didn't leave til near lunch was my oldest was in his last ROTC Parade calling cadence, knew I couldn't miss that & not a mistake! As I came out of a curve near Jefferies, saw one dart in front and cross the road. I immediately slowed down real fast, looked to the right, yep saw 2 more. At that point I was at a very slow speed until I got away from them. Later on it happened again right in front of the entrance Doughton Park. I was a lot more attentive and even more cautious till Boone. Deer are definitely a threat especially this time of year.

·
Administrator
17,412 Posts
I understand how you feel, but something like that wouldn't be enough for "me" to personally stop riding, what time of day did this occur by chance? Lots of things can happen very quickly and be totally out of our control while riding a motorcycle, it is the risk we all take to do something we really enjoy. But yeah if the anxiety starts to really get to you, then yes maybe it is time to hang it up. God speed whatever you do bud!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
The couple were okay.

Not all collisions with deer involve injury to the rider.

Caution in deer area and use another vehicle as a "deer catcher" ....far more danger from vehicles than critters.

If you take a deer head on without swerving your bike will take a lot of the impact and punishment.

This was a 67 year old rider ....he hit the deer at 60 mph ..no warning....kept the bike upright and rode it home ....( the insurance company wrote it off )

It's just another thing to be wary of....certain in my view not enough of an issue to stop riding.
I ride often in heavy deer areas ....see some....never any really close calls tho some startlement ....where did he come from ....moments.

Back on the horse just maybe stay away from dusk and dawn for a while >:)

WIth ABS allowing you to brake extremely hard, still steer ..there is a lot more going for you....the big thing is, don't swerve....deer are incredibly agile and quick....there is a youtube of a rider going down .....the deer never touched him....it jumped over him ....he just panicked.

·
Registered
135 Posts
missed one buy about an inch last summer at 60mph, no really an inch
took a bit to catch my breath and my wifes
way more close calls by dumasses in cars then dear

·
Registered
228 Posts
Can't really advise. If someone wants to quit riding it's probably best if they do.

But..........Are deer any more prevalent, more unpredictable and more dangerous then drunk drivers? texting drivers? sleep deprived drivers? Crazy drivers? Red light runners?

I think we take a lot more risks with other highway users.

There are a lot of hazards out there and many strategies for dealing with them. Personally, I would work on developing deer strategies instead.

Work on side-of-the-road alertness, especially where deer crossing signs are posted or where you have previously seen deer carcasses on the highway.
Better to ride more towards the center of the road?
Find a vehicle to be your 'blocker' through bad areas.
Don't ride in the dark or at dusk/dawn.
Keep the speed down.
Cover the brake and clutch through suspect areas.

I still choose to ride.

............shu

·
Registered
199 Posts
You need to think of it this way or at least I do, if you have a car accident do you stop driving cars ? If you fall down some stairs do you stop taking stairs ? Accidents are exactly that, an unplanned event that happens and you may or may not have been able to avoid it. Yes it will scare you off a little but maybe you should look at it as refreshing your mindset about how vulnerable you are on a bike and that you always need to be fully aware of your surroundings be it cars or wildlife. Not saying they could have missed it at all, just saying that life in general is a risk and if you enjoy doing things then it is worth that risk. If it means you take a small break to get your head back into the enjoyment then so be it. If it means that you give it up all together then that is your decision and only you can make it.

That's why I do believe that not obnoxiously loud but louder pipes can be a benefit. We have kangaroos and wallabies everywhere over here. There are thousands of them dead on the roads especially out in the countryside. If they here you coming then they are likely to either jump out earlier or jump the other way. Countless times I have been saved from hitting one over the years purely because they have heard my previous bikes coming and have scattered. My wife on the other hand has had numerous very close calls as she has a stock quiet SV so they don't react until she is almost upon them.

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
Myself and several of our friends have had deer encounters. In 2008 a deer killed my 800ST. I wasn't hurt. more recently a younger friend had a broken leg from a der strike. Killed the bike too.
Most recently was another fellow on his CBX Honda whacked a deer and did very little damage. Some strikes are not so severe and devastating.
Questioning one's need to keep riding is a subject that taunts all of us occasionally.
i keep wondering at mile 43.5 on the Crest...How many times does the guy hit a deer in a lifetime? Law of averages and all that.
I've had so many near misses i've lost track though some are memorable. Oh, Elk are much bigger than the deer locally. Gah!

·
Administrator
17,412 Posts
Myself and several of our friends have had deer encounters. In 2008 a deer killed my 800ST. I wasn't hurt. more recently a younger friend had a broken leg from a der strike. Killed the bike too.
Most recently was another fellow on his CBX Honda whacked a deer and did very little damage. Some strikes are not so severe and devastating.
Questioning one's need to keep riding is a subject that taunts all of us occasionally.
i keep wondering at mile 43.5 on the Crest...How many times does the guy hit a deer in a lifetime? Law of averages and all that.
I've had so many near misses i've lost track though some are memorable. Oh, Elk are much bigger than the deer locally. Gah!
More like near hits.....:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
You gotta do what you think best. But then, there's this poor fellow. You're not "safe" anywhere. To each his own.

From local newspaper, several years ago:

SOUTH BEND, IND.

Tree crashes through roof, kills man watching TV in bed

A large tree limb crashed through a roof and killed a man in his bed.
Police called to the home of David Wetzel, 41, on Wednesday night found a branch 3 feet to 5 feet in diameter lying across the man’s chest.
The tree appeared to be healthy, and investigators did not immediately know what caused the limb to fall.
“It is just one of those unforeseen, tragic events,” said Jaimee Thirion, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff’s Department. “It was not storming, and the wind was hardly blowing.”
Wetzel’s wife and son were also home at the time but were not hurt. His wife told officers she was in the kitchen and her husband was watching television in bed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think that seeing those people hit the deer could make you a more aware (safer) rider. I’ve seen a rider hit a deer right in front of me two times. You never know how u will react until it happens. I ride every day in deer infested areas (rural northwest PA). I know the risks but I prepare myself mentally before every ride. I always have to try to anticipate the deer. This time of year is the worst because they are running around like crazy cuz of their hormones. I guess if you’re really scared to ride, maybe you shouldn’t? Idk... I would never tell someone to quit riding unless they drink too much or just don’t have the physical or mental abilities required. Be safe out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
There are so many things that can kill you it is not even possible to document them all, even sitting in your own house you are not safe. I believe if your check out date is listed on some calendar, that is your day of departure, and there isn't a damned thing you can do about it, but until that date is reached, you are invincible.

Enjoy the ride and hope for the best, that is my attitude. I am certain my view would change if I hit a deer though. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Roos are nasty little balls of muscle that can cruise at 40 kph ....roo o'clock is a serious caution. And they aren'y human skittish like deer.

Took this photo in Mareeba

They also look exactly like the ant and termite colonies.
You see any roos ?

they are there

Like riding in rush hour for us all, riding at dawn and dusk in deer or roo country offer a higher risk and require more diligence.....I'm far more skittish of gravel in corners frankly.

Reactions: Old Time Rider

·
Registered
437 Posts
The deer cut my commuting season short, by about a month every year. My morning commute is in the dark, and the deer this time of year are too much of a hazard. Both the ones running and the ones that are a greasy spot on the road. I can't tell you how many times I've come up on a road kill that would have taken me out. So it's either slow down to the point of a crawl, or not ride...and for me, I'll just avoid the night trips. But, to each their own.

Every morning this time of year I see either a fresh kill, or have deer on the side of the road that you just never know if they are going to jump or not. Although those are really the ones to worry about...over the years I've hit no less than half dozen deer and I can only remember one that I actually saw before it was too late.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I survived the "deer threat" while I lived in West Virginia. While the threat is still here in the Houston area, it is not as bad as other areas due to the conditions.

1: There are simply times of the day you either don't ride during, or exercise extreme caution. Around dawn and for an hour or so after, and late evening into darkness. This is the most active time for deer to move.

2: Take interstate or multilane highways during times or areas where deer are a bigger concern. More time to react and see them.

3: The deer you see crossing the road isn't the one you might hit. IT IS THE ONE OR MORE FOLLOWING! Too many don't take this into account. When I see a deer cross ahead of me, I slow WAY down while watching for others.

4: When travelling back roads in late evening and night time, really good high beam lights help you see deer and other varmints earlier.

5: Really good riding gear gives confidence.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Maybe

For a while, I saw deer actually, and literally, every time I went out. Learned to avoid riding around sunup and sundown, and saw fewer. Noted that they seemed more prevalent some places than others, and tried to avoid the popular places. Recently they've been noting CWD in the local deer population, which is reducing their numbers. See a few dead deer on the side of the road, but probably one-tenth of what it was. Riding is always going to be risky, But it is also rewarding. Everyone needs to personally decide where the comfort zone is and act accordingly.

Oh, and I did hit a deer with my Vee, around sunset, a few years back. Killed the deer (a small one) but I didn't go down. Broke the radiator, jammed the fan motor, broke the side fairings and front fender, slightly bent the luggage rack in the back. I escaped with a badly bruised leg and foot.

Replaced the radiator and fan, trimmed the side fairings and made new mounting brackets, trimmed the front fender, straightened the luggage rack (still has a couple of strands of deer hair in it, just for luck), and now it is a street-fighter Vee.

I'll probably quit riding the Vee in a few years, when I'm no longer able to handle the weight. Which is why I'm transitioning to scooters.

+1 on the comment of relative threats. There are probably two or three encounters with incompetent and careless cagers every time I go out. Deer are a relatively minor problem, by comparison.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Deer all around me see them on my hill about every day.Two by my 40 feet away mail box last week! The things were not around when I was a kid but was seen fit to bring them along with wild turkeys back and now both thick.
When I took buy out and early retirement from IBM in Nov. 1992 got a school bus driver job sometime later.18 years and saw fast its not the deer its the ones on a cell or texting the big thing that may kill you. Hit one deer about this time of year. Leaves were thick on the side of the no line back road and a ten point buck came off a hill and caught the right hood and bumper of the long nose old school bus.It got up and ran in the field in to a tree stand.The farm owner showed me the rack the next day.Cracked his skull and broke a front leg but he still made it that far. When it happened the kids all are screaming.The little gals want to get it to help it.Some of the small boys wanted to tie it over the hood and take it to school! Sure that would have made good tv if it had been done and me fired. Guess may be a law about that now as 30 years ago you saw lots of red necks here with one tied across the hood to show off. Have not seen one in years.
The odd one was a friend on his early years Wee was on a two lane state road near me. A deer made a jump and landed on him! Two cars behine him saw it all. They rode together with him out cold from the hit till the wee ran into the ditch. Killed the big doe.I came up on it in the school bus on my AM run as EMS were loading Tom up. As they let us through saw the doe half way in the road and then just tail of his Wee out of the weeds. He did not wake up till at hospital. No bones broke but really bruised up.They had him awhile just for test and check up.He said"I looked up just to think in my mind DEE!!!....and was out.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts