StromTrooper banner

I love the suzuki ABS - why do these BMW vids disagree?

4K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  waynestronach 
#1 ·
Vid1 - YouTube - ‪ABS on Dirt‬‏
Vid2 - I can't find it - it's a BMW GS running away down a hill.

BUT - this is NOT my experience with ABS on my strom. I've used it on dirt roads, wet roads, dry roads and muddy tracks. it just works. Every time.

I'm going to do some tests and video them when I get time.

Has ANYONE had their bike runaway uncontrollably on gravel or be sure it took longer to stop?

I can't believe Suzuki bought the best software, but the results seem to work.
Experiences?

Thanx
Paul

#2 ·
Has ANYONE had their bike runaway uncontrollably on gravel or be sure it took longer to stop?l
Yes, I have.

It was a steep rock-strewn stretch of what may have once been a dirt road.

The bike behaved exactly as if I had no brakes at.

#12 ·
It was a steep rock-strewn stretch of what may have once been a dirt road.

The bike behaved exactly as if I had no brakes at all.
Second that. I was only doing about 10mph, but the bike just kept on running at the same speed with no braking at all - and nearly went over a 40' drop as a result. I put the Eastern Beaver ABS cable in after that. I flick the switch off and then back on again (ABS won't reset until the bike has been restarted) and cycle the ignition while the bike is moving (clutch in of course) to re-activate it. Sliding the rear under brakes or power is how I learnt to ride dirt and I'm too old to start again.

#3 ·
Has ANYONE had their bike runaway uncontrollably on gravel or be sure it took longer to stop?
Funny you should ask. Last Saturday, a friend (who is part of the team who do the tests for the Australian 2Wheels magazine Bike of the Year) was telling me this happened to him recently on a Suzuki SVF650 Gladius on a steep gravel drive. It was as if he had no brakes. He dropped the bike - fortunately at walking pace.

#4 ·
My BMW has unswitchable ABS (it's not a GS it's an RT) so I became used to being able to trail brake when riding fast in the mountains. I was very concerned I'd drop my new (used) Wee because it had no ABS. Now that I am used to not relying on ABS I do not miss it in the dry. I would love to have it don't get me wrong but I have to remind myself to leave the rear brake out of the mixx when riding hard in the twisties . The Wee really doesn't need ABS in my view as the brakes are so linear on mine and so easily modulated right up to the limits of adhesion I believe I can stop safely without ABS on most surfaces and let's face it ABS can do only so much and physics takes over. I suspect that large loose gravel would be a bad idea with ABS turned on. There are kits to make it switchable and If I ever got an ABS model I would seriously consider making it switchabe. All BMW dual sport designes are switchable I believe.

#7 ·
My 2004 Wee doesn't have ABS and I like the positive feel it has. My 800ST BMW has really sucky ABS and feels like Chit on bumpy pavement. I know it'd be useless on gravel or dirt.
Without the ABS on the Strom making weird decisions, I won't have to worry about playing off pavement.

#8 ·
The speed from which the bike is braking in the third braking "measure" is about half that from the first attempt; methinks it's normal for any bike to stop in 1/4 the distance under those circumstances...

My only opinion is that I liked having ABS the time I went offroad; it meant I could use the front brake more and slow down faster.

I have limited experience with that type of stuff however, and I suggest we run an actual scientific study with an appropriate sample and appropriate controls.
We can then publish our results in an academic journal, or on youtube, depending on if we want our study to be peer-reviewed or sneer-reviewed.

#11 ·
I believe Harley Davidson produced the original anti lock brakes.

#13 ·
Not something unique to Suzuki. I've had a few issues on my Connie when braking hard on rough tarseal. Very freaky when carrying a bit of steam...

I'm now more aware of the issue and adjust my riding style when riding on dodgy road surfaces.

I can definitely believe that it could be a problem off-road or on gravel. (Luckily I bought a Vee eh?)

#15 ·
Riding home in the rain last week i delibrately tried
to lock up the back brake only to find zero braking performance.
Not sure what to think yet

ABS does not create traction where it doesn't exist.

#20 ·
On my GS with anti lock I was having a hard time stopping the bike on a steep gravel downhill (walking pace and increasing in speed). The ABS wouldn't let the bike stop. I just quickly shut the key off and went from there.

The ABS does work well. In 60,000 miles on my GS that the experience above was the only negative one I had and it was easily corrected.

Still glad my Vee does not have ABS though...

#23 ·
Try EBC HH brake pads if your ABS performance sucks.

I just slapped some on this morning and bedded the pads in on my ride to work.

HOLY CRAP the bike stops REAL FAST LIKE NOW. Braking performance before the ABS kicks in seems massively improved.

On top of that, when the ABS *does* kick in and starts cycling, the bike still slows. On the stock pads on pavement it was like no brakes at all when the ABS hit. Now the brakes have enough bite that, even with ABS cycling, the bike slows down.

#24 ·
So what is the consensus on the best "money's no object when safety's at stake" ABS switch set-up for the Wee these days? (Assuming it's not insanely expensive, we've all saved enough money not buying a friggin' GS that I would hope that even the top-dog set up wouldn't break the bank.)

#25 ·
#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.