StromTrooper banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
If you turn off the key and not just kill the motor you should render the abs useless then it would be like standard brakes.

Try EBC HH brake pads if your ABS performance sucks.

I just slapped some on this morning and bedded the pads in on my ride to work.

HOLY CRAP the bike stops REAL FAST LIKE NOW. Braking performance before the ABS kicks in seems massively improved.

On top of that, when the ABS *does* kick in and starts cycling, the bike still slows. On the stock pads on pavement it was like no brakes at all when the ABS hit. Now the brakes have enough bite that, even with ABS cycling, the bike slows down.

So what is the consensus on the best "money's no object when safety's at stake" ABS switch set-up for the Wee these days? (Assuming it's not insanely expensive, we've all saved enough money not buying a friggin' GS that I would hope that even the top-dog set up wouldn't break the bank.)

T killing the engine could be a life saver.
Justifiable motocide.

Maybe a turn signal or fairing saver, but I doubt you'd be doing fatal speeds on a steep rock-strewn grade, ATTGATT assumed - it just seems deadly.

Conversely, forgetting to switch the ABS back when returning to a rain-soaked urban street has the greater lieklyhood of a deadly outcome.

Yeah that really does look like the best solution. I'm just not sure about doing that to a brand new bike.

Which reminds me, which of the two fuses (25A of 40A) turns off the ABS if I wanted to pull it?

Jon...
The 25A is the brains, the 40A is the muscle.
You can break just the 25A circuit to disable the ABS.

You can do all the new wiring through the fuse clips, without disturbing the factory wiring. Just make sure you have a 25A fuse somewhere in your new wiring.

Justifiable motocide.

Maybe a turn signal or fairing saver, but I doubt you'd be doing fatal speeds on a steep rock-strewn grade, ATTGATT assumed - it just seems deadly.

Conversely, forgetting to switch the ABS back when returning to a rain-soaked urban street has the greater lieklyhood of a deadly outcome.
Well ok, I'll admit I over stated it. Life saver was more of an expression than a statment of fact in this case. But it's still a good idea :)

And thanks for the info on the fuse and wiring. I had a feeling it was the 25A but wanted to make sure.

Jon...

Whenever anyone posts vstrom.info links I always get a "mysql has gone away" error message. Is that site still onine?
It's working fine. Maybe you have a setting in your computer that doesn't allow a connection to Germany.

It's working fine. Maybe you have a setting in your computer that doesn't allow a connection to Germany.
I can connect to the webserver fine, it's the backend connection between apache and mysql that is bad. (I'm a MySLQ dba :fineprint: )

Database Error: MySQL server has gone away
File: /home/vstrom1/public_html/Smf/Sources/Security.php
Line: 279

And thanks for the info on the fuse and wiring. I had a feeling it was the 25A but wanted to make sure.

Jon...
You're welcome.

I only know because Greywolf told me.

ABS does not create traction where it doesn't exist.
I agree 100%. Its difficult to know how much front brake the rider in the video was using. The back brake doesn't do much on steep slippery downhills and once you at the point where the front wheel is locking, you are in trouble, with or without ABS.

I have ridden steep wet clay downhills (on my DRZ400, without ABS) where the only option was to keep on increasing speed or drop the bike. This is particularly true with knobbies on clay as they fill quickly and need to turning well to stay clear.

stay safe

Kia Kaha
Wayne

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.