StromTrooper banner

I love the suzuki ABS - why do these BMW vids disagree?

4K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  waynestronach 
Has ANYONE had their bike runaway uncontrollably on gravel or be sure it took longer to stop?l
Yes, I have.

It was a steep rock-strewn stretch of what may have once been a dirt road.

The bike behaved exactly as if I had no brakes at.

Riding home in the rain last week i delibrately tried
to lock up the back brake only to find zero braking performance.
Not sure what to think yet

ABS does not create traction where it doesn't exist.

understood however traction was available as I progressively increased pressure on the rear brake trying to force the back tire to lock up the bike went from slowing rapidly to feeling like I had pulled in the clutch (which I had not) and freewheeling forward unchecked.

As mentioned I have never had abs on a bike before I am sure as I put more miles in the bike I will see what works and what does not.

Regards
The best thing to do absent an ABS on-the-fly bypass switch in a steep, gravelly descent is to kill the power and deadhead down, allowing the rear tire to dig in. Advice I failed to incorporate on Fry Mountain, resulting in some bent luggage racks, a broken windsheild, turn signal and some fairing scrapes. My semi-uncontrolled descent was very much as you described.

If I am on familiar gravel roads I'll leave the ABS on. With front knobby on gravel, ABS actuially works pretty good, at least to the extent to which my 'nads allowed me to test it.

understood however traction was available as I progressively increased pressure on the rear brake trying to force the back tire to lock up the bike went from slowing rapidly to feeling like I had pulled in the clutch (which I had not) and freewheeling forward unchecked.
This got me to thinking that a progressive ABS system, or a setting for gravel whereby the rear ABS did not interfere, might be a good idea. I wonder if the new Ducati Multistrata does this in it's myriad suspention/tuning settings.

T killing the engine could be a life saver.
Justifiable motocide.

Maybe a turn signal or fairing saver, but I doubt you'd be doing fatal speeds on a steep rock-strewn grade, ATTGATT assumed - it just seems deadly.

Conversely, forgetting to switch the ABS back when returning to a rain-soaked urban street has the greater lieklyhood of a deadly outcome.

Yeah that really does look like the best solution. I'm just not sure about doing that to a brand new bike.

Which reminds me, which of the two fuses (25A of 40A) turns off the ABS if I wanted to pull it?

Jon...
The 25A is the brains, the 40A is the muscle.
You can break just the 25A circuit to disable the ABS.

You can do all the new wiring through the fuse clips, without disturbing the factory wiring. Just make sure you have a 25A fuse somewhere in your new wiring.

And thanks for the info on the fuse and wiring. I had a feeling it was the 25A but wanted to make sure.

Jon...
You're welcome.

I only know because Greywolf told me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.