StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even though it's been less than 3 years since I bought my last helmet (a Shoie RF1000), I bought a new one today, the Shoie Qwest. I absolutely love it! The RF100 was comfortable, but in my opinion, noisy. For the longest time, I blamed the windscreen. I bought a Madstad and a Givi screen and fiddled with the position for a year. I could get minimal buffeting, but it was never quiet, even with earplugs. I did fiddle with the adjustment screws on the helmet face shield, too, and even t ried one of those Quiet Riders that covers the neck opening, but it was still noisy.

I went to my local accessory shop, which was having a sale, with the intention of buying the RF1100. But when I told the salesman that I was looking for a quiet helmet and I rode a V-Strom, he steered me to the Qwest, which is designed for an upright seating position. It is also advertised a a very quiet helmet. Sold! When I rode home, I couldn't believe the difference! With earplugs in, there is no noise below 70 mph. So I did so more riding at freeway speeds to check it out. Unbelievable! I am extremely happy with this helmet. All it needs is some graphics - I bought a plain silver one.

If the Shoie fits your head shape and you are looking for a new helmet, you might want to check it out. Here is a link to it on Amazon: Amazon.com: Shoei Qwest Solid Motorcycle Helmet - Light Silver Large: Automotive

·
Registered
146 Posts
Qwest is a great helmet. I love my RF1100, but my only real complaint about it is noise levels. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Congratulations on your new helmet!

I was looking to upgrade to a Quest as well, but I need maximum airflow for 100+ degree weather. How is the ventilation on it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I was looking to upgrade to a Quest as well, but I need maximum airflow for 100+ degree weather. How is the ventilation on it?
So far, so good. I confess I only have had it one day, but the venting is at least as good as that on the RF100 it replaced. It was 85 degrees today; no problem with the Qwest. That was one other thing I learned from the salesman; the Qwest was designed so the vents work best when you are in an upright position, whereas some other helmets are designed for those on sport bikes, who are leaned forward.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quest is a great helmet.
But if you have to lean forward even a little bit to reach the bars your airflow will be greatly reduced.Once I get risers and pull backs all should be good :hurray:

·
Registered
146 Posts

I had a Qwest and thought it was a great helmet. The reason I've stuck with the RF1100 however is because it vents significantly better than the Qwest I had. The Qwest was a million times quiter though - and I'm sure those 2 things are related. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
"Summary
Smooth styling, sleek appearance, outstanding quality... The Qwest build quality is a benchmark helmet that others should aspire to. The Shoei Qwest was named the webBikeWorld 2010 Motorcycle Helmet of the Year!"
Shoei Qwest Review - webBikeworld

Unfortunately, I don't have a Shoei shape head. Note in the comments to the webbikeworld review that some people found this helmet to be very noisy, probably due to their physical attributes, or their bike's windscreen or something. Buy where you can exchange.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try an X-Eleven

Got a great deal on a close out X-Eleven Shoei (it's been repalced by the X-Twelve). It not only is the quietest helmet I've owned but also has the best ventilation. Make sure you try some Shoei helmet on for fit, they're a bit snug around the checks and are not for everyone (fit wise)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I thought my rf-1000 was quiet! It beats the heck out of the HJC I had prior. I won't be in the helmet market for a while yet, my shoei is still young

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: After a few weeks, the helmet is still very quiet and comfortable. Of course, one helmet shape doesn't fit everyone. I have a Shoei-shaped head, I guess. I do have one complaint. Unlike my Shoei RF-1000, the Qwest doesn't quite fit my glasses. It pushes on one of the temples. I am thinking of trying to modify the foam a bit, but I am hoping it breaks in enough without surgery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update: After a few weeks, the helmet is still very quiet and comfortable. Of course, one helmet shape doesn't fit everyone. I have a Shoei-shaped head, I guess. I do have one complaint. Unlike my Shoei RF-1000, the Qwest doesn't quite fit my glasses. It pushes on one of the temples. I am thinking of trying to modify the foam a bit, but I am hoping it breaks in enough without surgery.
That's probably caused by the check pads, they'll break in and loosen up a bit. If not you can purchase thinner check pads from your dealer. I wouldn't start hacking at the foam until I let it break in. They're not cheap helmets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts