StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GIVI windshield w/ a Madstad worked great for getting rid of the buffeting. But now that it's summer, more air would be nice - I was roasting today. So waddaya think, will the stock screen with the Madstad work well at 70+ mph, or will my head shake again? Anyone tried it? I bought the windshield and the Madstad at the same time, and haven't tried the stock shield on the Madstad.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Givi and Madstadd too. Blocks a lot of wind but now that its hot again, I've got my stocker back on. LOTs more air now and how much you can stand is an individual thing. My stock shield on the Madstadd is about 3/4 of the way up and about the same back. I'm 5'9" and that works for me without too much helmet shake, but it does create more noise inside the helmet. I just use earplugs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am heading to Maine (from Georgia) over the week of the 4th. I need to come up with a combination that is buffet free and provides enough air for cooling. I went for a 2 hour ride today and came home soaked.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Uncanny timing. I just tested my new MadStad with stock windshield today. It worked great for me. 100 degrees here today but I was comfortable with plenty of airflow on a 100-mile ride. And the headshake was gone, which is why I bought the bracket. Amazing difference. So glad I tried this combo before buying a different windshield.

I installed the stock shield in the middle setting of the bracket with the bracket adjusted halfway up and two-thirds back. I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam.

·
Registered
165 Posts
what kind of gear are you wearing?
I use the Euro Sport Screen, which I think is the smallest one out there next to not having one, and with some mesh gear on, the ride was fairly comfortable.

I tried the Madstad w/stock screen when I got the bike this past winter and just couldn't really find the sweet spot, so can't offer any advice there, except that if you find it doesn't work for you, the Euro Sport Screen may be an option for airflow and minimal head shake up to around 75mph. 5'8, 31" inseam.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use my stock shield in the warm weather and put the Givi on when it starts cooling down in the fall. I have my stock shield about mid point on the Madstadt bracket. Very little buffeting, but, still get a good supply of air across the helmet.

S

·
0 Posts
FWIW, in summer I often run no shield at all. Maximizes airflow, minimizes buffeting. Only downside is the bike looks a little odd with nothing on it.

In the winter, I run a cut-down stocker on a Madstad - the only thing that I've found (so far) that eliminates the buffeting for me - but it offers very little protection.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Can't get much lower than this. it is really tooooo low. :mrgreen:

[

I had to shim it to make room for the GPS mount.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
My GIVI is coming off this week. I love it in cooler temps, but was nearly over come with heat the last ride out to the point of nausea and nearly passing out. I had to pull over, lower the GIVI all the way and tilt it back pointing the air towards me.

The problem is I have a noisey helmet and depend on the GIVI to quiet things down. But all the searching for a comfortable helmet that did not cause pain had a trade off for more noise. Just when you think you have things dialed in, something else gets factored in to throw you a curve to have to make more adjustments. All part of the fun.

Jim

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and do a little experimenting this weekend with the stocker.

My jacket is an Intake Air II by Tourmaster - and does a good job letting air in. My pants, on the other hand, are hot as Hell. I just don't feel like I can afford a mesh pair - but may need to bread down and look into some. They really are too hot for the summer, but I am just not wanting to wear jeans. Like they say, skin grafts are painful and expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
I cut 3" off the stocker and love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and do a little experimenting this weekend with the stocker.

My jacket is an Intake Air II by Tourmaster - and does a good job letting air in. My pants, on the other hand, are hot as Hell. I just don't feel like I can afford a mesh pair - but may need to bread down and look into some. They really are too hot for the summer, but I am just not wanting to wear jeans. Like they say, skin grafts are painful and expensive.
I also have the Tourmaster Air Intake 2 jacket and I absolutley love it for the summer months! I originally had an all black one, but I recently found a great deal on a slightly used silver one (worn once supposedly) on Ebay and I sold my black one. The silver made it even cooler ( It also matches my K9 ABS Wee!). I pair the jacket with Tourmaster Venture Air Pants. They are also mesh and I believe them to be worth every penny when it's hot. List price is a little high at $184.99, but you can get them new on eBay for about $167. There is one on there right now (XXL 38-40 waist) for $110.00 or best offer, in black.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Guitarhack,

Just remove the screen and the mount, if that's not cool enough then it's probably just Atlanta.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also have the Tourmaster Air Intake 2 jacket and I absolutley love it for the summer months! I originally had an all black one, but I recently found a great deal on a slightly used silver one (worn once supposedly) on Ebay and I sold my black one. The silver made it even cooler ( It also matches my K9 ABS Wee!). I pair the jacket with Tourmaster Venture Air Pants. They are also mesh and I believe them to be worth every penny when it's hot. List price is a little high at $184.99, but you can get them new on eBay for about $167. There is one on there right now (XXL 38-40 waist) for $110.00 or best offer, in black.
That sounds like a great deal - but I can't find the listing:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run with my Givi screen/madstad on only during cooler weather. Hotter weather is when I use the stock screen/madstad. I fiddle around with the madstad a bit until I find the sweet spot.

I've done a 1k mile iron butt ride and some 500+ mile days with no buffetting issues to speak of using the stock screen/madstad.

Riding with a tank bag makes a difference when you are dialing in the windscreen, too.

My height= 5' 11".

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I run with my Givi screen/madstad on only during cooler weather. Hotter weather is when I use the stock screen/madstad. I fiddle around with the madstad a bit until I find the sweet spot.

I've done a 1k mile iron butt ride and some 500+ mile days with no buffetting issues to speak of using the stock screen/madstad.

Riding with a tank bag makes a difference when you are dialing in the windscreen, too.

My height= 5' 11".
That's encouraging. I'm 6'2" - Hopefully I can dial that in too

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
In hotter weather I've been taking of my Givi and running the stock windshield on the Madstad with it all the way down and all the way back. Buffeting is not an issue.

Other things that might contribute in my case are the Corbin seat plus my height at 6'2", lowered front of the bike half an inch, Napoleon long stem mirrors, mirror extenders and this year an ATV handlebar.

..Tom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
In hotter weather I've been taking of my Givi and running the stock windshield on the Madstad with it all the way down and all the way back.
I might be inclined to do that, but I lent my stock screen to my son for use on his KLR650.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I am heading to Maine (from Georgia) over the week of the 4th. I need to come up with a combination that is buffet free and provides enough air for cooling. I went for a 2 hour ride today and came home soaked.
Cut down the stocker!

Basically cut off the return lip, which probably what creates the turbulence in the first place. Then painted it black on the inside.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts