StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally ride the vstrom only on weekends to explore local trails and fire roads but with all the recent rains in SoCal it’s been sitting for months as many trails are closed so I decided to ride it for my daily 110 mile commute to my office and I regret it. I was reminded that this bike is not made for highway speed of 85mph, the lack of a fairing and small windshield just make it a fight to stay on the bike. I still love my Wee but my big cruiser is a way better commuter. I will probably hurt some feelings with this post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Turbulence and buffeting has been a complaint with the Stroms. There's a gazillion page thread on the topic. It can be a hassle but if you try a different screen, one that others have tried and worked you can probably improve it. I able to dial mine in but it's not perfect. If you want total wind protection then you'll probably have to go with a full touring bike like a BMW RT, GT or a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I accidentally knocked one lens out of a pair of my safety glasses. I took the windscreen off of my 17 XT and put it into the safety glass frames. It was a perfect fit. Replacement windshield is a must, in my opinion, unless you are shorter than me at 6' tall.

·
Super Moderator
13,062 Posts
My DL650's LOVED running at higher speeds.. 80 to 90 mph all day. A Madstad windshield bracket cured all buffeting issues (and mirror extenders may have helped.) And the engine just loves running at higher revs!

What year DL650 do you have?

..Tom

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I normally ride the vstrom only on weekends to explore local trails and fire roads but with all the recent rains in SoCal it’s been sitting for months as many trails are closed so I decided to ride it for my daily 110 mile commute to my office and I regret it. I was reminded that this bike is not made for highway speed of 85mph, the lack of a fairing and small windshield just make it a fight to stay on the bike. I still love my Wee but my big cruiser is a way better commuter. I will probably hurt some feelings with this post.

Agreed, That's why I don't have mine any more. It is an awesome machine and I miss it for local around town and back roads, but on the interstate it was lacking in performance, especially considering my weight and that of my gear. In today's society and with the current driving habits of impatient and texting commuters there is no better safety net than massive amounts of power on tap. I hated to sell my 650 but after several instances on the interstate where I just couldn't get out of bad situations I knew I needed something with a monster motor.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Yep, if you want more comfort and wind protection get a big bike, like a gold wing. I don’t like riding endesly down straight freeways. I recently met a group of riders that invited me to ride with them. But, they like to ride 200+ miles on the interstate, have lunch and ride back on the interstate. I prefer twisty roads and off road, so the Vstrom 650 is perfect for me. We all have different riding preferences and needs.

·
Registered
14,178 Posts
Odd, My Wee does the freeway as well as my BMW RT-P did. I use the MRA Vario shield. Even 1000 mile days in crappy winds is possible.
Different experiences for different people......

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Odd, My Wee does the freeway as well as my BMW RT-P did. I use the MRA Vario shield. Even 1000 mile days in crappy winds is possible.
Different experiences for different people......
Glad to read this. I've done three SS1000's but all on bigger bikes. Looking forward to get out twice this year and do another on the Wee.

As for the original poster, having done two 300 mile days on the Wee in a row (one day was rain..that's why I stopped) on I-20 , ﹰI can say the ﹰWee is comparable to my Super Tenere In buffeting, but not in HP. My Wee does have a Puig touring windscreen with a clamp on diverter thingy and I made the little side wind diverters also. Those side dealio's are the best thing for a Wee!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I guess I'm missing something. I find the stock windscreen stock mirrors on my '17 D'elle are quite good. I have the windscreen in its highest position, and at 5'9''/175cm tall, there is little turbulence, even with a stiff crosswind. I was somewhat apprehensive of crosswinds with this bike coming from a ZX11, but it's fine. When the stocker gets too scratched or damaged in a fall, I'll check some of the windscreen threads, I suppose. I don't need lit-candle still air while riding
I have a Bell Race Star helmet that I bought while I still had the Zeex, and I noticed a big drop in head buffeting vs my Arai Signet on that bike, so maybe that is contributing.
I have almost 5000mi/8000km on D'elle now and, not braggin' or complainin', none of them on Interstates. I stay clear of them as much as possible in the car as well. Too many semis, and I retired from driving one!
I sympathize with those that have no other practical way to work other than The Big Road, but Like the Chevy ads say, find new roads.

·
Registered
14,178 Posts
Kilo days are easy, get on and ride until you get home. Incentive is everything.
Heck the wife and I used to 4-5 hundred mile days with the sidecar rig towing a tent trailer.
It's what you get used to and are comfortable with. Start early, end late. I don't stop for pictures and see sighting and no meals in restaurants. gas stops are just that, gas and go, i don't get off the bike.
I don't exceed the speed limit often either.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I guess I'm missing something. I find the stock windscreen stock mirrors on my '17 D'elle are quite good. I have the windscreen in its highest position, and at 5'9''/175cm tall, there is little turbulence,
I wouldn't say you're missing something. Heck, at 6' tall, I can squat/lean about 3 inches (5'9" level") and have little turbulence with my windscreen at highest position too. Unfortunately, that's the extent of its upward adjustment and I can't and won't ride all hunkered down or leaned over like I'm on a sport bike. Love the bike; but, hate the factory windscreen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2015 DL650 XT came with the adjustable windscreen spoiler at the top. I have never, repeat, never had any buffeting issues at all. I am 5' 11" and wear a Shoe Hornet with visor always on. The helmet visor is always in the pocket of quiet air, and so is the rest of me. Regardless of speed, although I rarely go over 80mph.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Trolling is irritating but won't hurt my feelings. Your post is like stating that hitting yourself in the head with a hammer hurts so you don't recommend doing that. Okay. Point taken.

NC

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In my 50 years I have been accused of a lot of things, but trolling isn’t one of them. I actually had to google the definition of trolling. Appreciate the feedback NC

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Even on my V2 I sometimes want more power, is there ever enough?

When I first bought my Vee, compared to my Honda Shadow 750 it felt like a rocket, but a few years later and it could have been faster.

I would say though, if you are going to ride a lot of highway, the V2 makes more sense.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts