StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my bike in my neighbour's garage so I went to visit my Strom today. It was about 10 degrees out (50 F). Next thing I know I ended up doing a short ride of about 110 km.

I'm not too big on the fog but I'll take fog over snow any day of the week!

Weird weather.. -30 (-22F) last week, +10 (50F) today!

..Tom

·
Registered
636 Posts
Gah, there is still way too much ice on my street for me to make an attempt at a ride. I guess I'll save up my pennies and try and move down to where V-Tom and the rich people live.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I keep my bike in my neighbour's garage so I went to visit my Strom today. It was about 10 degrees out (50 F). Next thing I know I ended up doing a short ride of about 110 km.

I'm not too big on the fog but I'll take fog over snow any day of the week!

Weird weather.. -30 (-22F) last week, +10 (50F) today!

..Tom
Went out for a ride today also (Cambridge, Ontario) - had a hard time with faceshield fogging - to cold to ride with it open. I could smell road dirt burning on the exhaust while riding, and the bike is filthy. Guys in cars where giving me thumbs up at lights!

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh, It's weird down here.. they plow our streets the day of snow storms. New Year's day had the roads plowed by 1pm.

How's your igloo holding out?

..Tom

Gah, there is still way too much ice on my street for me to make an attempt at a ride. I guess I'll save up my pennies and try and move down to where V-Tom and the rich people live.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Went out yesterday & today( Victoria/Sidney BC). Not bad at all, heated vest, & riding pants mind you, but quite comfortable though.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I was going to ride today but the glacier, that has become the end of my driveway, still hasn't receded.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I was going to ride today but the glacier, that has become the end of my driveway, still hasn't receded.
I'm in the same boat, I still have a fair sized chunk of ice at the end of the driveway. They don't plow my road until all snow activity has ceased. I don't get the gold star treatment since I live in the tenements.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I still have a fair sized chunk of ice at the end of the driveway. They don't plow my road until all snow activity has ceased. I don't get the gold star treatment since I live in the tenements.
hmmmmm....and I thought you were just too lazy to shovel. ;)

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I left home it was warm enough that I thought fogging wouldn't be an issue.

I got about 200 meters before my face shield fogged. Luckily I had my "Foggy" in a pocket. I know it isn't meant to be used with a flip-up but I have it down to a regular routine: Helmut on, front of helmet flipped up, place Foggy over nose, secure Velcro on one side, then other, then adjust if needed. I got about a kilometer and the very light drops of rain became quite a bit heavier. Stopped and took my Frog Toggs from my top case and put it on. Of course that pretty much guarantees it stopped raining and it did.. for about 5 minutes.

A little later I got into the heavy fog stuff. so much so that I rode with my 4-way flashers on for a while so I wouldn't get rear-ended (I slow down when I can't see.)

All in all though it was real nice to get out on the bike!

..Tom

Went out for a ride today also (Cambridge, Ontario) - had a hard time with faceshield fogging - to cold to ride with it open. I could smell road dirt burning on the exhaust while riding, and the bike is filthy. Guys in cars where giving me thumbs up at lights!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow! My bike still works!

Reading books like "Mondo Enduro" and "On Any Wednesday" will help instill the urge to ride your bike during the long winter months. All I really wanted to do was start the bike to atleast get a small fix. The next thing I know I'm geared up and riding towards Campbellville. An hour later I roll home, park the bike, and go upstairs, and wipe the shit eating grin off my face. Can't wait until the next snow/ice free winter thaw.

Patt
ps. grip heaters are the cat's ass

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Colin,

I don't know if it relates to where you are but I vaguely recall my sister mentioning about "Chinooks" coming in the winter.. that may have been a long time ago when she lived in Brooks, Alberta. (She has lived in Grande Prarie for I think 20 years now.)

Do you get them where you are?

..Tom

Around here January thaw means just two words-freezing rain.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
We are too far from the mountains to get much effect from Chinooks here . A Chinook is caused by air getting compressed coming down over and through the mountains. If you have ever noticed how hot an air pump can get you will get an idea.
I used to live in Canmore (near Banff) and a Chinook could easily make the temperature go from -20 to +20 overnight. (-4 to 68 F) It does get pretty windy in the process though.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Colin,

I know abou compressing air making it hotter but I never realized that compression in the atmosphere can cause that dramatic effects!

I just did a wiki on it and got this:

"A chinook is a warm westerly wind that sometimes flows over Canada's Rocky Mountains in the winter. It can raise temperatures in southern Alberta by twenty or thirty degrees in an hour. A chinook is caused when air flowing off the Pacific Ocean is raised by the mountains and heated as the water vapor in the air condenses. Then it is warmed more as it flows down the other side of the mountains and is compressed. It flows out over the prairie, and may travel as far as the eastern border of Alberta if it is especially strong. The chinook is also called "snow eater", because it can melt snow so quickly.

"

I guess it is kind of like air conditioning in reverse... neat!

..Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts