·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The New River gorge bridge is about 300 miles from Cleveland.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Definitely dude. Still liking that 1k seat?
Lets put it this way...
For the price, it can't be beat (Thanks again!). Huge improvement over the 650 seat. If I had more money, I might allow myself to be a little more dissatisfied. Since I don't, it's great!
How's that for a complicated answer to a simple question? :mrgreen:
Seriously though, the only thing wrong right now is not enough time is being spent on the aforementioned rear end support. Ohio weather sucks, but you knew that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nova Scotia

I've been thinking about a one week trip for next summer also. I've plotted out Nova Scotia with the Garmin software and it can definitely be done (with the help of the Bar Harbor Ferry).

Also recommended (if you can get the time off):

www.alaska2006.net

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I've been thinking about a one week trip for next summer also. I've plotted out Nova Scotia with the Garmin software and it can definitely be done (with the help of the Bar Harbor Ferry).
I did Nova Scotia with a friend in 2004 in 7 days and had a great time. We did not use the ferry (to save money), and neither of us felt like we were rushed or missed anything scenic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Best time for NS

I did Nova Scotia with a friend in 2004 in 7 days and had a great time. We did not use the ferry (to save money), and neither of us felt like we were rushed or missed anything scenic.
Hey MeefZah - what month did you go, and how was the weather?

Sorry... don't mean to thread-jack.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
We went in late August, as I recall; and it was good. Very little rain, comfortable temperatures.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
The New River gorge bridge is about 300 miles from Cleveland.
MZ, any thoughts on a direction yet? 300 miles is an easy day's ride. Even back roads on a direct route would not be bad.

The cabin is still and will always be open to anyone that wants to go. I go many times in the summer. With a little notice, a nice weekend could be had very easily.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I'm out, orders changed, will be in Iraq, I leave end of Janurary, should be back in the spring for some summer riding.
Handy, I'll take you up on one of those summer rides.
____
Kyle

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
MZ, any thoughts on a direction yet? 300 miles is an easy day's ride. Even back roads on a direct route would not be bad.

The cabin is still and will always be open to anyone that wants to go. I go many times in the summer. With a little notice, a nice weekend could be had very easily.
I'm leaning towards heading south, New River gorge for starters. After that, not sure, but that's sounding pretty good to me. That bridge is unreal, and IIRC the roads all around there were pretty spectacular.

Ken, we'll have to sit down sometime this winter with some maps and some beers and try to get some ideas. What do you think about that?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds like your getting some good ideas for riding areas on the East Coast. Have to say I really liked my trip to the Adirondacks last year. Just four days, two up two back with lots of time to spare but I got to see some areas in PA I've never explored.
My suggestion is don't overthink the where and when. Make general destinations or goals so you have time to explore! Nothing worse than feeling preasured to leave an area your enjoying.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I'm leaning towards heading south, New River gorge for starters. After that, not sure, but that's sounding pretty good to me. That bridge is unreal, and IIRC the roads all around there were pretty spectacular.

Ken, we'll have to sit down sometime this winter with some maps and some beers and try to get some ideas. What do you think about that?
Sounds great to me! What about mid January? I should slow down at work and Christmas will be over.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Me too. I'm still off Wednesdays and Thursdays, so if we can do it one of those days, that'd be excellent. Tuesday nights are good too.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Me too. I'm still off Wednesdays and Thursdays, so if we can do it one of those days, that'd be excellent. Tuesday nights are good too.
After first of the year, any night should be good. I don't have much in the way of maps, but if we e-mail the tourist councel for the states we are interested in, alot of times they will send free maps and discount coupons for motels and food.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Oh? You know who to email? Maybe send away to WV?

Ken, also, do you have any interest in attempting that Great Lakes 1000 this year?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Got it!!

MZ, I got info back from WV. They sent several brochures named, SOUTHERN WEST VIRGINIA MOTORCYCLE TOURS. They have a total of 5 different tours that are premaped out. All the tours are between 111 miles and 195 miles. Also a few contacts on motorcycle friendly camp grounds and motels. We may still want to pick up a state map or two for reference. They also sent info about white water rafting and the 2007 Official Visitor Guide. Looks like some cool info!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Oh man that's perfect! We'll set aside a date soon to hook up and check it out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
whats up fellas, i'm new here. just bought a 03 DL1000.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19075
i see u r plannin a trip...and route is up in air, somewhat. there ia a really cool dual sport rally goin on in tellico plains tn. in may...1 week after your planned trip.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35019
i attended this last year and had an absolute blast. every type of riding u may want to do...easy asphalt to single track. u can ride on your own or with with a group that has a guide. the guided rides are better cuz the guides are locals that know the area and have scouted the routes in advance. lots of dirt, gravel and water crossings.
it is mostly klr's but all dual sports are welcome. it is held at a motorcycle campground that is very clean with new showers with endless hot water! they have a few cabins, but they go quick.
some pics from may 07 event
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26178&highlight=tdtII
it may be a good destination to hit for the first couple days then head out to where ever. i will be there for sure, and am plannin on bringing DL and klr. my dad is goin this year also with his tw200.
they also have a ralley in pisgah nc. in sept...and that one is even better.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35017
here are some pics from sept 07 pisgah event.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32395

my appologies for such a long winded reply, but if ya don't mind gettin your dual sports a littly dirty...these events are a must.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, here's the thing...

Last saturday I tore my ACL playing basketball like a dumbass. I'm not even good at basketball, but my coworkers talked me into playing.

I've gotta get surgery on it, and that'll probably be soon, and then the physical therapy starts. I honestly don't know if I'll be ride-worthy by May. It's a long recovery process. I'm going to talk to the doctors on Monday, and I'll know more then.

:(

21 - 40 of 44 Posts