StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's ridiculously early, but....

I'd like to hear from some of you locals on this...

We pick our vacation for the entire next year around this time every year. So, tonight I picked a week in May for no other reason other than that it was available. I want to turn it into a bike adventure, which I've never really done. A multi-day trip, similar to what BTD did, but I'd sure like to have company.

I'll be off from Wednesday, May 7th through Thursday, May 15th. Like I said, it's SUPER early to be thinking about this, but I missed all the long trips this year you guys did, and I'm dying to get one in come springtime. I'm inspired by the Iron Butt Rally article I read in this month's Motorcyclist magazine.

I have no idea where I want to go, but I want to ride and maybe camp out. Maybe into Canada? Along the lakes? Maybe down into the Blue Ridge Parkway, through WV along the New River? Towards New England? I don't want to go for the whole week, but just a few days and nights.

Train, Handy, BigB, Scarlett, GRS, Firedog, BobbySand, MeefZah and all the rest of you locals I'm leaving out, who's interested? Do you guys pick vacation in advance?

Who's got good destination ideas?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
This is really funny

My wife and I were just talking about this the other day. I told here that I wanted to hit several Strom events/rallies next year. When she said, "I don't know why you don't, you have 3 weeks vacation", I damm near fell over. I got her to say OK and no stress.
MZ, I'm in if work permits. If we are opening a new store, life gets crazy! We are going to open several more next year but I don't know when.
I'll throw this out just as an idea. If you want to, we can use my cabin in PA as a base camp and from there take day trips all over the state or even into NY. Won't cost any to stay there, We won't have to carry all our gear all day, plus I have all the conviences.
Trust me, I'll be ready for about anything. This is just a thought.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that's a great idea! How far from here is that cabin?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Sounds like a great idea Handy, I've never ridden in that area before.

MZ, you might also take a look at the Natchez Trace Parkway. I did the ride three years ago and it was great. You would need four days. You can find more info. at www.nps.gov/natt I would go for that again. I have to wait to January to pick vacation.
____
Kyle

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I'd be interested in something like that. I can ask for vacation as late as a few weeks prior so if you solidify plans for a good ride, I'll come with...

I've heard the Natchez Trace is a bit boring. Don't know for sure; never ridden it.

Blue Ridge Pkwy would make a good trip, hook down through the Smokies, tag Deals Gap and the great roads around there.

Upstate NY or a New England trip would be good, too. Beautiful area.

You have enough time to ride into Canada, Nova Scotia - Cape Breton is an awesome ride, too.

You could slab it out west, explore for 5 days, and then slab it back.

New River Gorge area and really all of WV is a good ride.

Hell, lotsa choices....

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've been down to the New River to go rafting, that was freakin' awesome. So beautiful, but I was driving a 15 passenger van, so I couldn't enjoy much of the trip. We've got all winter to come up with the routing, but these are a good start. I'm intrigued by that cabin in PA too.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
MZ, I guess one question is , how hard do you want to push each day? This will determin haw many miles a day you want to cover. Push hard cover alot of miles or take time and stop and sight see.
We could get a list of camp grounds and figure out each nights stoping point. Just trying to throw out some ideas.

Check out this site.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/main.htm

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Just so we can start to get ideas out, what about setting a milage goal for each day. This gives us a range to work with. Also MZ, you said that you did not want to go the whole week, just a few days. How many? Also, what days in the range of the 7th to the 15th?
To me since this is in the early part of the riding season, what about somewhere around 400 miles per day as a target? At least for the planning stage. If on the road and we cover more, then we add a few new destinations.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
400 miles a day sounds great. How about 4 days? That sounds good to me too, but I'm open to anything really.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
400 miles a day sounds great. How about 4 days? That sounds good to me too, but I'm open to anything really.
Cool, it's a starting point. We can take a map and do the 800 mile circle and see where that takes us. Then decide which direction to go. If we see a good destination at 900 or so miles then we will have to go for it!

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I lived in WV for 2 years. There are some great roads there. Too bad this was long before I had the Strom. I lived in the Glenville area.
I like the idea of heading south. Lets see if any other ideas come in.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the south idea too. I'd love to see that New River gourge again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
BTW, someone mentioned 400 miles/day. That's a really long day if you're riding serious twisties with some country roads/dirt roads thrown in. It's mentally and physically exhausting. I do 400+ mile days all the time, but most people think I'm nuts because I'm out for 10 - 12 hours. And I rarely stop to be a tourist at anything. Quick photo stops yes, but really checking stuff out? Nope.

My rule of thumb from leading many, many rides as the local Triumph RAT Pack leader is that a 45 MPH moving average (not counting lunch or long breaks) works out about right. That's not a balls to wall sportbike pace, but I'm doing double the suggested corner speed or more in the twisties. Lots of 70-something indicated on 45/55 MPH roads polluted with 25 MPH corners.

8 hours on the bike at 45 MPH average is only 360 miles. Figure another 2 hours minimum for lunch and breaks. A 10 hour day is more than most people want to do. That's 8am - 6pm. I wouldn't plan for more than 300 a day if you want to see some stuff. I hate the interstate, but that does offer a way to munch some miles if needed.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I personaly don't really care about miles riden, just depends if we go to a specific destination or just ride for the sake of riding. If we head to a specific location, then I figure we would push a little to get there. If we are just riding to do general site seeing, miles really don't matter as long as the ride is sweet!
How far is the New River Gourge from Cleveland/Akron? I have never been there, just seen pictures.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you guys can put up with me, I'm interested. All the ideas sound good so far!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Spring trip

A buddy of mine and fellow Wee owner are planning a trip to New England in the May timeframe. He lives in SC and I Live in Missouri now. We are loking to get to gether in Western PA and then head up to NY-NH-VT-ME just all off the cuff as well. Will be a week long trip. I plan on trailering my Wee out to PA then getting on it from there...no solid plans yet but neither of us have ever been to the New England States to ride and are looking forward to the ttrip for sure!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A buddy of mine and fellow Wee owner are planning a trip to New England in the May timeframe. He lives in SC and I Live in Missouri now. We are loking to get to gether in Western PA and then head up to NY-NH-VT-ME just all off the cuff as well. Will be a week long trip. I plan on trailering my Wee out to PA then getting on it from there...no solid plans yet but neither of us have ever been to the New England States to ride and are looking forward to the ttrip for sure!!!

Really. Maybe we can connect and make it a convoy somehow?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts