StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute and ride home after dark. I am ATGATT but when I get off the highway, they are always watering the grass on the clover offramp. I like to raise my visor so it is easier to see water on the road and so there is no glare when I really need to see what is in front of me. Lately, there has been a busted sprinkler head just spraying right across the exit so I really like to pay attention. Last night, I took one in the eye. I think it was a small moth. Didn't hurt too bad. Lucky it was not a junebug. Anyway, I think it is blacklab who said he removes his shield and uses goggles over his helmet. I was wondering what other setups people have. I really like the wind hitting my face but I like the full helmet with the chin-bar. I also enjoy lifting the chinbar at stop lights which I guess is not feasible with goggles over the helmet rig.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
bugs in eye

Lots of us have had buggy dudes hit us in the eye. I like to have my visor raised because the MRA shield is so effective. I noticed the other day on a jaunt through the mountains that no bugs were getting at me but the front of the bike was covered.
Years ago I watch in utter horror as a moth flew into the headlight beam as I was coming home and went right over the bar mounted fairing and swooped right into ...my glasses. Gooey bunch of moth splock blurred my vision. I grabbed at the insectoid and gave it a flick and it kinda stuck to my gas tank and left a trail of entrails down the tank. EEEEUUUUUUW! :jawdrop:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I quite often use just my Oakley M Frames with the visor up ,(under 80Kph... cause it comes down on it's own above that!), or the speedshield built into my EXO900 helmet. Works great.

I did take a junebug in the left knee a couple days ago. Felt like I was shot in the kneecap. I can't imagine one in the face.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts

Even with the visor just lifted a notch or two, they find their way in, this one in Eastern Oregon near Abert Rim.

·
Registered
816 Posts
How about a pair of clear safety glasses? I use tinted safety glasses under my visor for day time and keep thinking I should put a clear pair in my tank bag for after dark riding.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How comfortable are those with a helmet on? Do thick temple and earpieces hurt? I always see safety glasses with thick frames and temples but never thin.

·
Registered
816 Posts
How comfortable are those with a helmet on? Do thick temple and earpieces hurt? I always see safety glasses with thick frames and temples but never thin.
Guess it depends on the glasses and fit of your helmet. Mine look just like sunglasses and I have enough room around the temples for the arms.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Back in my teenage years, a friend of mine killed a honeybee with his eyeball, while riding. I plucked the stinger out of his bodily weapon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My eyes are WAY too important for me to ride with them unprotected. The risk to them is much higher than when I am shooting (which I do a lot), and all ranges I know of require eye protection at all times.

The cheapest source of certified safety glasses I know of is the local hardware store. They always have a rack of them for purchasers of their power tools, and they are far cheaper than buying them at a sporting goods store or even on line. Many styles, and available in clear or several different tints with 100% UV protection. Be careful about purchasing true polarized lenses though, they can make it difficult to recognize water on the road under some lighting conditions, and they interact with some face shields to produce distracting ghost images and reflections.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
How about a pair of clear safety glasses? I use tinted safety glasses under my visor for day time and keep thinking I should put a clear pair in my tank bag for after dark riding.
+1 on that. I carry two pairs of wrap safety glasses, one clear and one tinted, by some company called "Harley". They really cover your eyes with a metal frame which most safety glasses don't. And at $12 a pair locally, can't go wrong. On a nice day I like to raise my visor and still enjoy the protection my helmet affords my chin.

Harley Davidson HD500 Series Safety Glasses

·
Registered
47 Posts
please post how those work out for you, I have been trying to find the perfect pair of glasses for a few months now.

·
Registered
392 Posts
bugs

Years ago I had a bug in the eye while riding and it had to be removed in the emergency room. Also got a week's bed rest, without pay and no riding for that time. Bad idea, won't do that again.

Bill H.

·
Registered
48 Posts
bumble bee in the eye

I took a large bee in the eye at around 120km/hr. Had just raised visor because of sun strike and bam.....Next thing I knew I was lying on ground, bike was on side stand. I couldn't open my eye for about 2 days. Recommend safety glasses under visor, I use polaroids as they help you see oil on road.

·
Registered
816 Posts
This forum always pulls through for me. On the site you posted, I found these

Smith & Wesson Phantom Safety Glasses with Pewter Temples and Clear Anti-Fog Lens

Smith & Wesson Phantom Safety Glasses with Black Temples and Smoke Lens

If those are not comfortable stuck in a helmet, nothing will be.
Those do look like they'd be comfy in the helmet. Was going to order some myself, but $21.25 to mail 2 pair of sunglasses worth only $17.20??? :jawdrop: Seriously?? I guess I'll wait until I'm heading to Niagara Falls NY to pick up some other mail order.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts