StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a wee strom newbie, and amateur mechanic. I've seen posts describing the process in great detail for removing the side panels and a lot more. I've seen others that are brief, cryptic, and leave our details that newbies need.

Can someone point me to a post that will help me get what is a simple job on other motorcycles, done. Hopefully not remove side panels completely. Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Something tells me you're gonna really be bumming when you find out you've gotta remove the gas tank too. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Take the side panels off
Take the gas tank off
Unscrew the screws holding the lid of the air box on and take the lid off
Remove and change the filter.
Reverse the steps to reassemble.

It should take no more than 15 minutes even for somebody with two left hands who can't work a screwdriver.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air cleaner replacement

I've seen enough posts to know that the tank has to come off. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Tip #1---run the gas down before lifting the tank off.
Tip #2---buy a 10-pack of the black plastic fasteners ($6) in case you find a mangled one...or step on one.
Tip #3---Take a photo or make a note to yourself or stick the screws into a cardboard mock up of the tank and front fairing the first time (or two) your take things off. There are three or four different shape stainless bolts, screws in hidden spots, two sizes of plastic fasteners.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
The title of this thread made me laugh.

You bought the wrong bike.
Beat me to it.

That is one thing the Harleys have all over V-Stroms.

·
38,049 Posts
That power robbing right angle intake turn and range reducing small fuel tank are pretty big prices to pay for easy access to an air filter every 15,000 miles or so. Inline fours are usually pretty easy though.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
That power robbing right angle intake turn and range reducing small fuel tank are pretty big prices to pay for easy access to an air filter every 15,000 miles or so. Inline fours are usually pretty easy though.
Yeah...the FJR is pretty straight forward (naked inline-fours are even easier), but my AE requires some messing with the shift actuator to get at it. A whole extra step.

The VStrom's really aren't all that bad. Usually you can plan to do a bunch of your maintenance, and farkling, around the same time to reduce the number of times you actually have to take everything apart. The more you do it though, the easier it becomes.

·
38,049 Posts
Everything has to come off for valve clearance inspection at the same time the air filter needs service anyway. The spark plugs can wait until that interval too. The spark plug change interval in the manual is nonsense.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Or you modify.

After awhile you get used to the fact the stock V-Strom is pretty ugly; a modified Strom is even uglier. So ugly, it becomes almost a beautiful sight, (and a breeze to do any maintenance on!).

For me:

- Remove the seat.
- Loosen and remove the rear fuel tank bolt.
- "Hinge" the fuel tank up from the front bolt and support the rear of the tank.
- Detach the fuel line from bottom of tank fitting.
- Detach the fuel tank vent hose from bottom of tank fitting.
- Detach the electrical fitting.
- Loosen and remove the front bolt to the fuel tank.
- "Unsnap" the lower, left and right fuel tank fairings.
- Lift the fuel tank off of the bike.
- Remove the 8 philips screws that hold the airbox cover in place.
- You are in!

On my bike, I don't have to unbolt the fuel tank fairing panels from the fuel tank. I just unsnap the after ends of the fairings and keep the forward ends bolted to the fuel tank. The two fairings lift off with the fuel tank.

Because of the modifications I have made to my bike, (All OEM plastic fairings are gone except the fuel tank fairings.), I can have the cover off of my airbox in literally less then three minutes.

B.L.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
At least I can change the oil in my '08 Wee without the need to remove about a dozen screws and a large piece of tupperware like on the ST1100!
Another reason I like the FJR. No fairing removal for an oil change. Just undo the bolt and drain. No fairing pieces in the way or anything.

It is tougher for an oil filter change though...you have to remove one bolt holding a part of the lower fairing on...it's so tough. And that's not even required. It just makes the process a whole lot cleaner.

I looked long and hard into maintenance on all of the bikes I had on my short-list. The DL650 was still a pretty easy bike to work on...if it weren't for the rear CCT being a PITA to get to during a shim replacement.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
That power robbing right angle intake turn and range reducing small fuel tank are pretty big prices to pay for easy access to an air filter every 15,000 miles or so.
It's not about power............

Just think of all the aftermarket monetization that Harley Davidson would lose out on if one couldn't change out shiney bolt-on air cleaner covers on a whim.

My wife's Harley has about a 200-mile range. When it's down to about a gallon, the odometer displays the estimated remaining distance available from the tank.

·
Registered
530 Posts
When you take the tank off to check/clean the air filter I would also suggest doing the bug screen over the snorkel mod at the same time - this will drastically reduce the amount of debris that gets clogged in the filter, mostly bugs.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
There is always the option of just leaving it alone for long periods of time. The V-Strom will run fine with a pretty heavy load of crap in the air filter....or so I've heard anyway. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts