StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing Twisted Road owner Austin Rothbard talk about his peer-to-peer motorcycle rental service on a couple of MC-related podcasts, I took the plunge and listed my '12 Wee over the winter.

Today, I received my first rental request. Someone wanted it for 4 days, which would have netted me around $200. I had dollar signs in my eyes and was ready to confirm...and then I read the renter's profile: He got his license 2 years ago and does not currently own a bike. He wants to use it to take part in a multi-day group ride on the twisty roads in my area next week.

I decided the combination of an inexperienced rider on narrow, twisty roads for several days was beyond my comfort zone, at least for my first rental.

Anyone else using Twisted Road or the similar service, Riders Share?

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Interesting... never would have thought of renting my bike out.

I think the only scenario I would be comfortable with is someone with current and consistent experience actively riding for the past 3 years. The use case here would probably be a rider travelling from afar looking to ride this area.

Someone with no active experience would be too high a risk.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree -- handing my baby over to someone with so little experience for several days gave me the heebie-jeebies.

In addition to the scenario you presented above, I would also be more comfortable renting it to someone with a current bike and perhaps looking to test ride in anticipation of a new bike purchase.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
How does your insurance carrier view renting your motorcycle to someone else? If the renter totals your bike, does your collision/comprehensive insurance still apply, or will your insurance carrier deny a claim on your personal insurance policy since you're engaged in a business of renting out your motorcycle?

Guys who drive for Uber raise the same question for me. If you're transporting people for money, then you're a common carrier, which normally requires a specific commercial auto policy that covers this sort of activity. An insurance company might be able to deny a claim for personal injury sustained by a paying passenger, based on the idea that you're driving people around for money and you don't have commercial car insurance. That could get expensive really fast for a car owner whose liability insurance won't cover a passenger.

Did Twisted Road cover any of this, or do they do what Uber does and basically say any insurance issues are all on you?

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
I remember renting on an oveseas trip and on top of the $2,000 rental fee had to front up on a pre signed manual credit card authority "in case of damage". Do you have any security at all?
What happens if he drops it? Even a simple drop with lever, bars, grip, shifter, indicator, and side cowl can get very expensive very quickly. All for $200?

·
Registered
14,178 Posts
I had an offer to rent my BMW with a Ural side car to the movie industry. When I realized what they may do to it I quickly turned down the offer.
Rentals can turn into a can of worms so fast.
i had friends that did movie rentals but they were in the industry and knew the foibles.
You need big contracts and lots of insurance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nobody gets on my bike unless I've ridden with the person and have seen you ride.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
What does one's insurance company think of renting one's motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Still some questions to ask your personal insurer but there is a layer of protection from Twisted Road. I assume they get a percentage of the rental fee.

There certainly is a glut of decent inexpensive used bikes out there. I could see buying a clean DL just to keep as a rental bike.

What happens if the bike gets damaged during a ride?

We know that your bike is important to you. Therefore, we take many steps to reduce the risk of anything happening. However, accidents do sometimes happen and this is how we respond.

Our damage guarantee with respect to reimbursing the owner for any damage to the motorcycle is as follows:

We make sure that owners are compensated for damages that occur during a rental period, that are the fault of the rider, up to the market value of the bike, with a maximum payout of $15,000. Period. It’s that easy.

So, is the rider responsible for any damages to the motorcycle? Of course. To the extent possible, our company will get reimbursed for these costs through the rider’s insurance company. But regardless of what we are reimbursed, our plan is that we will still ensure that the owner is compensated for up to $15,000 worth of damages caused to his or her bike.

However, all liability claims will otherwise be covered by the renter’s insurance provider – Twisted Road will not be responsible for paying any liability claims.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
"However, all liability claims will otherwise be covered by the renter’s insurance provider – Twisted Road will not be responsible for paying any liability claims."

I think that could be the "Come to Jesus" moment for someone renting their own bike under circumstances like these. I'd have to read my policy in full, or ask my agent, but I don't think I'd be going out on a limb to say that my personal motorcycle policy doesn't cover any event that results from me renting my bike to someone else, as opposed to loaning it to someone for the day. It becomes especially dicey if this sort of rental agreement makes a court view you as a business entity involved in renting motorcycles and not as a privately insured person; in accidents involving vehicles owned by common carriers, the carriers are often sued in conjunction with the actual driver of the carrier owned vehicle. The difference is that the carriers have insurance that specifically addresses incidents arising from vehicles they own; Joe Citizen doesn't.

Getting involved in something like this, especially for $50.00 a day, is something I'd never do until I talked to my insurance agent, and maybe a lawyer to see what sort of legal liability I could be facing.

I think homeowners who get involved in renting out their houses as an AirBNB are going to be facing some of the same sort of dilemmas if a rentor ever does something like fall down their stairs and gets severely injured, or accidentally burns down the house while they're staying in it.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Insurance issues aside, I can't see me ever renting out my personal bikes unless it is for BIG $'s. There is no way to verify how good a rider is. Length of time with a license, how long they have ridden, do they own their own bike, etc are no indication of how good a rider they are. Witness many riders, on any day.

There is a reason regular motorcycle rental outfits charge what they do (and take large damage deposits). Renting out a bike is akin to renting out a popsicle. Don't expect to get it back in the same condition it left. If it does, well that is just gravy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just seems like a terrible idea all around. Lets say you keep a well maintained junker just for rental. If something goes wrong with the bike due to your maintenance, or maybe lack thereof, and it results in death, i wouldnt want to know the outcome of that. Its not like renting a house ala Air b-n-b, there is a real possibility of an accident here.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Just seems like a terrible idea all around. Lets say you keep a well maintained junker just for rental. If something goes wrong with the bike due to your maintenance, or maybe lack thereof, and it results in death, i wouldnt want to know the outcome of that. Its not like renting a house ala Air b-n-b, there is a real possibility of an accident here.
There's an extremely real possibility of accidents on AirBNB rentals, too. Moreso, because I'm sure that there are far more AirBnb rentals out there than motorcycle rentals. I've already read cases where homeowners were on the hook for damages to their properties by rentors that the insurance companies wouldn't pay off on, because the homeowners didn't have a policy that covered renting their home out to people.

·
Registered
365 Posts
There's an extremely real possibility of accidents on AirBNB rentals, too. Moreso, because I'm sure that there are far more AirBnb rentals out there than motorcycle rentals. I've already read cases where homeowners were on the hook for damages to their properties by rentors that the insurance companies wouldn't pay off on, because the homeowners didn't have a policy that covered renting their home out to people.
all im saying is there is much more chance of serious bike damage or injury than renting a house, going by percentages.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No doubt this is a risk vs. reward calculation -- in my case, depending on the renter, I may consider the risk to be worth the reward. As motorcyclists, we all decide the added risk of riding a bike (as opposed to encasing ourselves in a metal box with airbags) is worth the reward we get from it.

Currently, my bike is the only one listed on either Twisted Road or Riders Share in my immediate vicinity, and I'm located near some of the best riding in our state. My end goal would be to earn enough to finance my next bike purchase; whether or not I can get enough action on the bike to do that remains to be seen.

I admit that TR's accident coverage is a bit...vague. More of a 'trust us, we got your back'. And who knows how hard they'd work to determine a crash was the fault of the rider and not some mechanical issue on the bike. This also fed into my decision to reject the rental offer -- my bike's ABS is currently not functioning and I wasn't going to have the time to sort that out before the rental period. That would seem like a convenient excuse to deny accident coverage.

I also have my bike listed on Riders Share, which is a smaller, newer version of TR. But the thing they have going for them is that they do offer insurance coverage, up to the same $15,000 TR claims. From their FAQ page:

We purchased an insurance policy from Crum & Forster that protects your bike for the duration of the rental. Every rental is covered, whether the renter chooses to purchase protection or not. Your personal policy may not work for rentals, unless it is a commercial type of insurance. On your listing, you will find a link to an insurance card. In the event of a claim, please call our insurance company, Crum & Forster, to file a claim. Bear in mind the limit on our insurance policy for damage is $15,000. You may list more expensive motorcycles than that, and in the event of a total loss accident we will bill the renter the difference. Make sure you take pics before and after each rental using the Check-in feature to ensure insurance covers you.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
There was an instance here a few years ago where an air b&b was trashed. Insurance wouldn't pay. Media got a hold of it and made a big enough deal that air B&B stepped up and paid for the damage. Not something I would want to count on though. Any insurance policy that I have had (that I can recall) be it for vehicles or property, ask specifically if it is being used to generate money (commercial purpose). If it is, the insurance policy has to specifically include that.
A simple example is rental property insurance. Essentially is is liability coverage and structure damage coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
IMO if you do not have liability coverage for "commercial use" you are essentially risking your net worth. I don't believe it is possible to rent a vehicle, anywhere in a "first" world country (from entities that are in the business), that does not come with its own liability insurance included in the base rental fee. Additional insurance, that you provide in one form or another, covers damages to the vehicle and may increase the liability amount but the basic liability is already there.

·
Registered
452 Posts
In the Netherlands we've got Motoshare. They are an intermediary and with every rental, all-risk insurance is included.

https://motoshare.nl/ (In Dutch)

I have not used them but it's more because of the hassle than anything else. My DL1000 is about 17 years old and it's in great shape but not without a few nicks and scratches. So that's not what I'd be worried about.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts