StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... At the end of my street. Early morning ride, not really paying much attention, very slight grade to the left, and a brain fart moment. I could have kept her up by shifting my butt over to the left and planting my foot like I usually do, but for whatever reason, I just jumped off and let it keel over.

I was lucky - no visible damage at all save for a little chunk off the side stand foot (of all places) and a gouge on the bar end. Best part was the breakaway blinker stem just popped right into the fairing with no damage. I yanked it back into place and it's as good as new.

No traffic. No witnesses. Surprisingly easy to pick up with not much effort or strain at all, and I'm 5'7", 135lbs.

If that is the extent of the inevitable "ritual drop", I'll take it!!

:D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Your bike has been Christened, hopefully that's the worst of it!

I haven't done it yet, but I know it's coming.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did it too on the first day of riding on the new bike. U-turn on a slight incline with foot in low spot and an unfamiliar clutch. It was a comical slow motion fall and I did an awesome roll on the ground, but without a witness it is just between me, the bike and now the friendly Vstrom forum.

I should just go out and buy a few replacement bar ends, but luckily shiny black spray paint hides scrapes very well. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome to the club:headbang:

What is this "breakaway blinker stem" of which you speak? Something new for 2012?
Mine did the same thing when I laid mine down. The turn indicators push into the fairing so they don't break as easily, then pop back into place easy as well. I am not sure how the pre '12s were

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welcome. your name will be proudly added to the wall of shame ... Mine was on there pretty fast too ...

No biggie. Bike probably does not care about it as much as you do ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I laid mine down. The turn indicators push into the fairing so they don't break as easily, then pop back into place easy as well. I am not sure how the pre '12s were
My K8 signals would violently explode if a bug hit them. :bom_laugh4:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correction: Just got home from my ride and noticed that my clutch lever had broken off at the perforation, where it's supposed to I guess. Funny how I never even noticed till I pulled into the garage.

At least it's a cheap part.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is this "breakaway blinker stem" of which you speak? Something new for 2012?
What glass said. The turn signals are mounted on a very flexible rubber stalk, which is fixed to the fairing with only a little friction grommet. Lay 'er down and the whole assembly just pops into the fairing. Pull it out again and you're back in business.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep - sounds similar to my first drop. Please replace the lever ASAP - I dropped my bike a SECOND time before I was able to replace the lever and the body panels touched ground the second time without the lever there to stop the bike.

That said, I've replaced the handle but still haven't replaced the body panel - I've surprisingly gotten over the scuff, but I'm going to get it fixed eventually.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just dropped mine today. Pissed. Was going up a pretty rocky hill without enough momentum, ran out of steam about halfway and fell on my left side. Scuffed my left hand guard, bar end, tail light, frame that my sidebox mounts to, and my elbow.

I'm used to picking up my CRF450R so I thought it was gonna be a battle with the Strom, but it came right up with ease. The motor shut off and my FI light came on. It wouldnt clear until I turned the ignition off and on again.

Rode home and stood infront of my bike for a good 15 minutes staring at the scratches. It was bound to happen sooner or later. On the bright side, I have my first crash out of the way.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I bet the tipover switch shut the bike off. Or I should hope so.

Haven't dumped mine yet! I never dumped/crashed my SV either. My XT on the other hand..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dropped mine the other day, still with dealer tags on it. :green_lol:

I was screwing around in a grassy field, and a wild stump appeared. I swerved and grabbed a hand full of brake, she layed right onto her right side. Lazy son of a bitch. I didn't notice any damage until I installed my Givi sidecase kit. I bent the hell out of the pillion footrest bracket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The pre 2012 bikes have a 'break-away' blinker as well. When i dropped mine the signal 'broke away' and I just went down to the dealer and plopped down about $45 for a new one !!! Will change them to something shorter or flush next drop.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am a dufus (or just unlucky)

So after a month of riding around with a busted clutch lever, I finally stopped by the dealer yesterday on my way out to a nice long ride in the mountains. Thought it would be nice to have a freshly serviced bike.

Long story short, 5 hours of awesome riding after rolling out of the service bay, I take a simple gravel turnoff that somehow becomes deep sand. Ran out of steam - instant nap. Bye bye new clutch lever. Again.

Picked it up fairly easily - again no damage other than the lever.

Then the impossible. I get it back through the gravel to the parking lot, and I must have been distracted and upset, because I hit the front brake too hard, get a nice hit of nose dive, and she keels over onto the right side! Again no damage to anything other than the BRAKE lever.

I now have two junkyard shorties. Aaargh. Pazzo replacement levers, Barkbusters, and a set of 3/4" Kouba lowering links on order. I don't care to repeat this again!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same shameful helplessness

I did it too on the first day of riding on the new bike. U-turn on a slight incline with foot in low spot and an unfamiliar clutch. It was a comical slow motion fall and I did an awesome roll on the ground, but without a witness it is just between me, the bike and now the friendly Vstrom forum.
That's how mine went. Slipped a tiny bit in a gravel parking lot and was surprised by the weight of my 3-day old bike. We rolled gently to the ground together, but there was no way to stop it from happening. No damage, thanks to its resting on those celebrated vibrating engine bars + hand protectors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Then the impossible. I get it back through the gravel to the parking lot, and I must have been distracted and upset, because I hit the front brake too hard, get a nice hit of nose dive, and she keels over onto the right side! Again no damage to anything other than the BRAKE lever.
Stuff happens as they say... A couple years ago my buddy dropped his almost new BMW R1200RT in a parking lot in Nova Scotia on a trip and scratched up the left side bag enough to send it out to a paint shop to repair. The very day after he got it back on the bike, we pulled into a parking lot and in light fine sand with his front wheel turned to right hit the front brake and down she went on the right side and did the same thing he'd just had re-painted on the left. After a few cuss words I don't think he uttered 3 more words all day. You can buy em' and put em' in a museum, or ride the wheels off them. But if you ride them, dings, dents and scratches are almost inevitable.

I got my new 2012 Wee Adv home a few weeks ago with 11 miles on it and a friend who felt compelled to sit on it before I could take the Trax bags off kicked my right bag hard enough to dent it while trying to swing his leg over it... Thus solving the curse of the first ding after 5.5 miles in my possession.

One of the best ones I ever saw was a woman who was President of a local bike club at the time and at a rally with dozens of people watching dropped her new BMW 800GS with 10 day plates still on it onto the left side, scratching up the bag, bar end and blinkers. A few people helped her pick it up and when she went to move it to another location, she then dropped it on the right side within 30 seconds of the left side crash, making similar scratches on that side. Maybe she should have stayed with her 650 beater...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've almost been inducted more than a few times and it's always uneven payment for me.. Luckily, I got some strong legs so I catch myself every time (knock on wood). I know my day will come eventually, hopefully there are no witnesses!! My buddy laid down his Harley at a four way light turning into Walmart with a bazillion people around.. Like 10 commuters ran over to lift the back off him, he was mortified!! :bom_shocked3:

·
Registered
16 Posts
WEE2 adv WENT DOWN

I got back from my first ride with my Adv and dropped it right in front of the garage.:furious: I pulled up in front of the garage and for whatever reason I snatched my front brake and over it went. It just rested right on pannier. No damage!:hurray:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts