StromTrooper banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,609 Posts
I know this is a hard question to answer but approx how long does a chain and sprocket last on a 2009 - 650 V-Strom. I bought good quality parts and didn't cheap out and I am not hard on my bike at all. The gentleman that I bought the bike off of said he had changed the gears and chain around 25,000 kliks and when I changed it it had 45,000 klis so it lasted 20,000 kliks or 12,000 miles? Does that sound right?
That is low. I changed my chain and sprockets at 50,000km. V-Tom is the grand master of chain life here.
It totally depends on lubing, riding conditions, and how much of a throttle jockey you are.
I lubed regularly after riding while the chain was warm, before changing to an automatic chain oiler. 25-30,000 miles is not unusual.
With a new chain and sprockets you will usually find that one or two adjustments are required and the chain will settle for a long time, but then when regular stretching occurs later on its life is almost over.
One thing, the book states a chain slack of 20-30mm. Most here believe this to be too tight and prefer 30-40mm. A little loose is far better than a little tight.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,609 Posts
p.s. I know I am new here and to owning a V-strom but I have to ask....what is a "wee"and why do people call it that?
The original V-Strom is the 1000cc version, so when they adapted the bike for a 650 twin it gained the label Wee-Strom.
I remember smiling at the thought of putting a 650cc motor in a 1000cc bike as I had owned a DR650.
However I found them to be chalk and cheese.

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
Ohhhh I get it ...so now I own a "wee strom" instead of a V-strom?" Thanks for clearing that craziness up Brockie:)
You own a V-Strom DL650

Legend has it that when the DL650 was announced a Scottish fellow said something to the effect of " that's a nice wee Strom". And so the name "Wee" was adopted by many.

..Tom

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
lol... now you are just making this stuff up Tom....lol
If it's made up it's not by me!

It makes sense though since Stroms were designed in Europe by Suzuki Germany. When they did the launch of the 650 there would be a lot of journalists from Europe including Scottish ones.

..Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
On my 2012 650 I have run 15, 16, 17 tooth front-stock rear. I have NO idea what a bike pulling to redline in top gear has to do with perfect gearing. I have a couple rather powerful vehicles that won't come close to going faster in top gear than a lower gear.
What is not brought up in motorcycle conversation is the aerodynamic factor. They are bricks so wanting to run 140 mph isn't happening on these anyway.
I kept a fuel mileage record. There may, or may not have been, a few tenths of one mile per US gallon improvement in fuel mileage with the 16 and 17 t front sprockets. Certainly did not lower fuel economy, or raise it according to my records. You just cannot prove the difference due to weather and road conditions. I only ran the 17 for maybe 1000 miles for instance.
If you actually ride off pavement a lot then the 15 ( or 14 for true hardcore dirt roads and paths ) is the way to go. For pavement, even just backroads, I would never go back to a 15 t over the 16t. Bike just works better, and the speedometer is almost perfectly accurate with the gps with a 16t. The ONLY negative would be the initial take off from a stop, there is a bit more clutch feathering. No, I am quite sure my clutch is not getting undue wear....
The 16 makes the gears feel like they fit the engine better once moving. It accelerates just as fast as before. Yes it does...as I may still be in 2nd gear while a 15t rider is already in 3rd and I have a rear wheel torque advantage there.
You can try a 16, or 17, with the stock length chain. You MUST loosen the chain and take it off the front sprocket TOWARDS the engine casing!!! That gives room for the sprocket to come off.
Gearing down to attain maximum top speed in sixth gear at near redline (I am not advocating going to "redline" per the norm) was my desire. This would retain the top speed and allow off road use to be safer and easier. Most vehicles today, be they four wheeled or two will not attain a top speeds in overdrive that can be seen in the lower gear be it fifth with six speeds or "direct" vs. "overdrive". There are exceptions certainly, but most of them are high performance vehicles.
Yes, the DL is a brick, and I have read that attempting to get 130 mph is a VERY BAD IDEA.
I too have noticed little change in mpg with gearing changes for my type of riding. My 2011 speedo runs off the front wheel, so gear changes do not remedy the speedo error.
The 13 definitely improved acceleration for me.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,677 Posts
Gearing down to attain maximum top speed in sixth gear at near redline (I am not advocating going to "redline" per the norm) was my desire. This would retain the top speed and allow off road use to be safer and easier. Most vehicles today, be they four wheeled or two will not attain a top speeds in overdrive that can be seen in the lower gear be it fifth with six speeds or "direct" vs. "overdrive". There are exceptions certainly, but most of them are high performance vehicles.
Yes, the DL is a brick, and I have read that attempting to get 130 mph is a VERY BAD IDEA.
I too have noticed little change in mpg with gearing changes for my type of riding. My 2011 speedo runs off the front wheel, so gear changes do not remedy the speedo error.
The 13 definitely improved acceleration for me.
You don't have to worry, the DL 650 won't hit true 130 mph no matter what gearing it has. At least not on level ground.....
Gearing for maximum speed in top gear isn't what manufacturers care about. Lower rpm at cruise helps economy, emissions, and wear.
The 13 tooth sprocket might have felt faster, but in a 1/4 mile drag race I would bet against it! We tried some acceleration tests ( my 650 beside my Sons 650 ) and found the 16 tooth was actually faster from a stop as you could control the wheelie better. He has run 14 and 15 on that DL.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes, I am aware that the 13 or 14 may not be suited to most people. I am not using the bike as the manufacturers intended and I acknowledge that. I found that the 15 in a gravel parking lot with round river rock is a challenge and the 13 does much better. The 13 is a vast improvement on the off pavement roads I frequently ride. If I were to ride more freeway pavement I would use a 14. If I were to ride to Florida, I might consider the 15. Until I actually have an opportunity to track test the 13 against the 15, I am not convinced it is not faster to top speed. Racing dirt track for nearly 20 years and making gear changes has given me some experience. The 13 will certainly not get the 500 lbs. to 130 TRUE mph, that would mean a speedo reading of just under 142, and that ain't gonna happen! "Lift off" I understand is 125 or so according to some "experts, and I doubt if anyone has gotten a stock DL650 to a true 125mph and I am not interested in trying. I traded the Hayabusa in on this DL in order to reach retirement age. On my ride it is exactly what I want. I would prefer the 15/53 and may do so if I get bored. Money is always a factor.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts