StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, This is my first post here as I just got my Vstrom a few months ago but now I need some advice. My chain and sprockets were shot so I just changed them out. Instead of a 15 on the front I put a 17. I kept the rear sprocket the same as usual. It has dropped my rpm's at 100 kliks from 5,000 to 4,500 so I am happy with that. My only issues is now when I am going down the highway and I gun it it feels and sounds like the clutch plates are slipping and its slow to excellerate. I didn't notice that before I changed to the 17 but to be honest I really didn't gun it too much so my question is: " is the change becuase or related to me putting the 17 on the front or is it just maybe my clutch plates are worn out?" Its a 2009 -650 with approx 50,000 kliks on it. About a month ago I took it out from Sask to BC and put about 4,000 kliks on it and it ran perfect with no problems. What do you think and thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So maybe drop it down to a 16 or stay at a 15? I didn't think that going up 2 teeth in the front would make such a big deal but then again I am use to shaft drives so this chain thing is all a learning curve to me. then why do they even sell a 17?

·
Registered
2004 DL650
133 Posts
I changed to a 16 front last year and it is perfect. Now I can make it thru an intersection before shifting, and like having an overdrive on the highway. 17 has to be too much and dogging the motor. Try going back to the 15 first to see if problem goes away.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Your tachometer should tell you if your clutch is slipping, the RPM's will move up quickly without the bike gaining speed.

The 650 with a 15t is geared high, going to a 17 is just too far.

Adding a front tooth is is like adding weight to the bike, the motor has to work harder to to move it.

I have not done the sums but when you move away in first gear it would be similar to pulling away in second gear or maybe even higher and that moves up with every gear you move up.

On my 09 wee I got a fuel saving and a higher top speed with a 14t, these motors are happy to rev.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, This is my first post here as I just got my Vstrom a few months ago but now I need some advice. My chain and sprockets were shot so I just changed them out. Instead of a 15 on the front I put a 17. I kept the rear sprocket the same as usual. It has dropped my rpm's at 100 kliks from 5,000 to 4,500 so I am happy with that. My only issues is now when I am going down the highway and I gun it it feels and sounds like the clutch plates are slipping and its slow to excellerate. I didn't notice that before I changed to the 17 but to be honest I really didn't gun it too much so my question is: " is the change becuase or related to me putting the 17 on the front or is it just maybe my clutch plates are worn out?" Its a 2009 -650 with approx 50,000 kliks on it. About a month ago I took it out from Sask to BC and put about 4,000 kliks on it and it ran perfect with no problems. What do you think and thanks for your help:)
Can not imagine the difference, just go back to 15 and your problem goes away. I had a BMW 800 that could not handle 2 people on an incline until I LOWERED the front sprocket.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
How many k's on the bike ?, around 60,000 just refresh the clutch. Plates AND springs, gasket that side, coolant and an oil change. The last three are more expensive than the other bits.

The clutches are good for somewhere around 60,000k's and if you are kind to them you won't notice the slip for quite a bit longer.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,596 Posts
Changing from a 15 front to a 17 front is a huge change - the equivalent of taking 7 or 8 teeth from the rear sprocket.
I would not recommend such a large change in gearing. Even if you only ride on flat terrain such high gearing will make huge gaps between gears.
Before worrying about a new clutch I would first change back to 15 or 16 Max, and then check that the clutch is working correctly. 50,000kms should be well within a clutch life unless it has been tremendously abused.
Here is the relevant part of the manual again. For good operation there should be a 1/4 turn of slack at the actuator. As Rolex says, IF you clutch is slipping you should see the revs rising while the speed does not.
It is possible that you are being confused by such an unusually high gearing.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Auto part Machine

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have been running a 16 t front sprocket on my 650 for 16 years now and at 132,600 km my clutch is still original with no sign of slipping.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
A long time ago I went down to a 14t sprocket for about 2 years and it was such a blast. Next time I need to swap my sprockets I'm going back to the fun side.

Can't imagine doing a 17t sprocket - acceleration must be so weak.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
e.
St corn dog... what do you have on your front sprocket for teeth? 15 or 16?
I owned a DL1000 and ran stock ratios at first. Then I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket to lower the overall gearing a little. Up 2 on the rear is close to going down 1 on the front.

I am on a Super Tenere now. Yamaha nailed the gear ratio perfectly, which is lucky, since it is a shaft drive.

·
Registered
K9 Wee
450 Posts
Math and gear ratios may be abstract, but experiential evidence helps drive the concept home.

Get on a ten speed bicycle.
Ride with the chain on the smaller front sprocket and on the rear middle sprocket. Then shift the front sprocket to the larger one while peddling. The extra effort that you must exert is similar to the load you put on your engine by switching to a larger front sprocket.

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

1 - 20 of 55 Posts