StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always read that you need a tune with slip ons on the V. I decided to take the risk and bough Delkevics. I heard Two Bros was too loud for most and definitely needs a tune. Alot of good reviews however obscure they are to find of the Delkevic.

Firstly the hardware. I got the polished stainless 18" ovals. The cans look top notch. Perfect tig welds. Perfect polish. The clamps and muffler hangars are a little to be desired but they do work fine. I'm planning to upgrade to a nicer t-bolt clamp shortly. The system DOES come with the graphite gaskets to the mid pipe. And a tube of high temp silicone. I did not use the silicone because I was in a hurry and didn't want to get messy. I only have a small exhaust leak on one side between the Delkevic link pipe and muffler (where your supposed to use the sealant). It's not bad but I'll add the sealant later when I swap to nicer clamps.

The sound is as perfect as I could ask for. Nice very deep thump like I wanted, glorious beautiful sound at full throttle at any RPM. It is quiet enough that it doesn't rattle your neighbors windows and at 60-70 on the freeway you can still hear the motor and wind and cars around you. Honestly you can barely hear the exhaust while your moving, sounds nice when accelerating, it really gets shot out the rear.

Pics and video later. Sunny days are few and far between this late in the season.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Let us know how it goes with the fueling. I found my bike lugging more and at lower rpms after the Dominator slip on. I richened up the AF by 6% using a Boosterplug and it's now noticeably better than stock and a pure joy to drive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let us know how it goes with the fueling. I found my bike lugging more and at lower rpms after the Dominator slip on. I richened up the AF by 6% using a Boosterplug and it's now noticeably better than stock and a pure joy to drive.
I forgot to mention, before the exhaust I was getting some pinging. Sounded like gravel in a tin can being shaken, only at 80+% throttle and mostly when it got below 55 degrees, the colder out the worse it was. At any RPM when I applied heavy throttle. I made the mistake of doing 2 changes at once. The afternoon the exhaust got delivered and installed I also fueled up with 91 octane for the first time instead of 87. I don't know if it's the octane or exhaust but it runs a good bit healthier now especially low RPM.

I do not have any aftermarket fuel controller or piggyback or engine control of any kind.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I forgot to mention, before the exhaust I was getting some pinging. Sounded like gravel in a tin can being shaken, only at 80+% throttle and mostly when it got below 55 degrees, the colder out the worse it was. At any RPM when I applied heavy throttle. I made the mistake of doing 2 changes at once. The afternoon the exhaust got delivered and installed I also fueled up with 91 octane for the first time instead of 87. I don't know if it's the octane or exhaust but it runs a good bit healthier now especially low RPM.

I do not have any aftermarket fuel controller or piggyback or engine control of any kind.
The DL1000 requires 90 octane or higher. 87 octane will cause detonation under certain conditions. I wouldn’t do that too often 🙂

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I really want to do the same with my 2012. So many different opinions on here about it. I want it to sound like a motorcycle not an industrial sewing machine. If I can tune in a couple of HP then that would be a bonus.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The Delekvic exhaust are pretty refined and you can purchase them with many options in mind.
Most pipes range from the short 9" cans (real loud) to the 18" talked about here. (much more mellow)
I had one of these on my 2000 SV 650 and it was almost exactly the same. Nice rich tone, Great throttle
response with growl and lighter weight than stock and not very expensive. A win win.

You can't really beat it for under $300 (at least the one I bought was)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts