StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6K miles, I think it's time to drop the stock tires. Need some advice on what to get next (yes, I'm a noob).

Riding will be 90% street, with the occassional gravel/dirt road thrown in. Right now, I'm looking at the Metzeler Tourance, Bridgestone BT020 and Continental Trail Wing. I'm not a big knee dragger, but I will ride in the rain and I do tend to speed when I am on the slab.

I appreciate any input you experts care to offer. :D

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Most peopel will tell you that they really like the tire they bought. few peope have a lot of negatives abotu their tire choice.

I didn't mind the stock tires. I like my Tourance (non EXP) tires better. I liked the Tourance so much that I never tried any other tires and now am on my 6th rear Tourance and my 3rd front Tourance (I have about 112,00 km or about 69,000 miles on my 06 DL650.) Are there better tires? Maybe.. but I'm happy.

I suspect lots of other riders will have similar opinions about the tires they choose.

..Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
I didn't mind the stock trail wings. When I replaced them a few weeks ago, I put on some Continental trail attacks. So far, I really like them.

I've only had them on gravel a couple of times, and both were well maintained. They did perform very well though.

Lots of good reviews led me to them. Only thing bad I heard about was a few that get a wobble from the front. Conti knows about it and has been replacing the affected tires under warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Coincidentally, I am in need of new tires for my Wee as well (yeah, AND for my car, at the same time -- ugh!).

I have nearly 15,000 miles on my original stock tires. They've been good to me, obviously. I'm told that this is well past what's expected; but I'd mitigate that by admitting that they probably would have been said to need replacing a while before I crossed 14,500.

I priced a pair of Trailwings at a small local shop, since I know nothing about other tires or what I might like better. I was quoted $420 out the door, but I don't even know if that's a sucker's price or not. And I didn't find out (d'oh) the itemized price for each tire and mount (I was rushing to work).

I'd love some input (I am a newbie) about what a pair of tires (with mount & balance) ought to cost (ballpark figure, o'course). Plus the same advice the original poster was asking for, naturally. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I say try a different type/style everytime you change. Only then can you figure out what YOU like. If I hadn't done this and just stuck with the overwhelming favorite, I'da never figured out what it was I didn't like about them. Not that they are bad, just that they are now my least favorite of 4.

·
Registered
58 Posts
$400 is ridiculous for the OEM tires and mounting them. If you go through www.motorcycle-superstore.com they have a preferred installer program. Punch in your zipcode and it will list dealers in your area that participate. MS will ship the tires direct to the shop and you can get them installed at your leisure. You'll get a pretty good price on the tires, unknown about the install cost but it shouldn't take someone with good tools more than an hour to do.

Side note, I put on the Battlewings and they seem to be wearing better/longer than the Trailwings did. They are smoother on the road and don't seem to be cupping in the front like the TWs did. It seems to take a considerably amount to make them slip on the pavement. The Wee is too heavy for me to do much "offroad" but on maintained unpaved roads they seem to be ok. I have 4200 miles on them now and as far as wear they are starting to get a bit of a square profile but have lots of tread left.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow, I didn't know about the 'prefered installer' thing, but from what I'm seeing, it looks comparable to what the Suzuki dealer I got my bike from. I'm leaning towards the Conti Trail Attacks ($290 for a set) and $80 per tire to mount/etc. them.

Motorcycle Superstore quotes a price of a local dealer at $157, plus some various other 'fees'.

So around $500 for some new shoes. *sigh*

Actually, just found a place a bit farther away that'd save me almost $100. Still.....ain't cheap! LOL

·
Registered
159 Posts
AllenTC2, I know what you're going through. Prior to getting mine, I really hadn't any idea that having and maintaining a motorcycle would be this expensive and complex... :-(

I mean, I've learned a lot, and I like that, but man, this starts to feel a bit like work!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Tire replacement costs me $22 per wheel here at the local yamaha shop if I do the wheel removal and installation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If I had the space and equipment to be able to do wheel removal, I would do it, even though I've never messed with detaching brakes, but I guess it wouldn't be a big deal. The first thing I ever did on my Wee maintenance-wise was align the rear wheel and adjust chain tension (though that didn't involve taking the wheel off). I have a swingarm jack to do the rear, but I'm not set up to lift the front or I'd do it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a well-equipped garage, but my Wee DOES have a centerstand...I see how the rear wheel would be easy to remove, but how would you get the front up to remove that wheel?

And is there anything special I'd need to do regarding putting them back on that a noob like me might be better off having the dealer do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is how I did it before I got my centerstand.

Just make sure you put spacers back correctly.
Trust me, if I can do it anyone can.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm expecting to get 8K miles or so on the rear OEM Trailwing, twice that much on the front. I have a new rear replacement in the basement when that time comes. Then I am going to a set of Battlewings, front and rear, which are also already in the basement. I like to be prepared.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I like to do my own maintenace. So I invested in a pneumatic table lift. As for tires, I have a friend that has a workshop with a tire changer and a snap on digital wheel balancer. So I take my stuff there and have my tires drop shipped to him. Here is a pic of my man cave set up from today.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Wow, I didn't know about the 'prefered installer' thing, but from what I'm seeing, it looks comparable to what the Suzuki dealer I got my bike from. I'm leaning towards the Conti Trail Attacks ($290 for a set) and $80 per tire to mount/etc. them.

Motorcycle Superstore quotes a price of a local dealer at $157, plus some various other 'fees'.

So around $500 for some new shoes. *sigh*

Actually, just found a place a bit farther away that'd save me almost $100. Still.....ain't cheap! LOL
Holy Sh** !! I paid 25 for tire mounting, each tire when I took tthe tire's off. The tire's were not all to expensive, bought them last year.
Think I got away with 250 - $300.00 max.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts