StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is Rafael and I'm from Israel
After a five year break with a motorcycle ride I decided to go back to ride.
the last two years I own a l2 - 2012 with 44k km restricted to 34 HP.

recently I feel I wont '' more power '' so I want to replace the ecu.
I found a dealer here that can sell it in a good price but he don't
know which model it ''came down''
So I need your help -
Model of the ecu is 27GB1
Is it can match to l2 -2012? :confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Retail part numbers are different from those cast on the part. Doesn't the dealer have access to an unrestricted part to look at?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Retail part numbers are different from those cast on the part. Doesn't the dealer have access to an unrestricted part to look at?
I currently have the original ecu on my motorcycle (restricted)
And write - 11j30
The dealer has no idea /

Maybe you can tell me what written on your ecu ?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
My unrestricted part has 11j20 cast on the cover.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Aren't Suzuki ECUs reflashable? Maybe all trbaron needs is a yosh box like reflash. I'm just guessing....but why build multiple ECUs when you can just program one to restrict the horsepower. Actually, trbaron should post this question on the European regional forum, since they have experiance with power restricted motorcycles, and we in North American, do not.:fineprint:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
That euro restricted dealio is pretty strange. For the SV they had a 100 hp restriction in France and we tried to figure it out once. Found a sticker under the seat on a Yamaha that said the output was restricted. They found cutting a wire to the ECU disabled it and full HP was available. Not sure if it actually worked or not. :confused:

Just looked at mine, it's a 11J20 Mitsubishi brand ECU.

Here is their reasoning...

2.) Stricter anti-tampering regulations.
European mopeds have a constrictive top speed of 45 km/h, and light motorcycles (125 cc) have a restricted power output of 15 hp. Both classes have strict anti-tampering regulations, preventing owners from
increasing performance. The manufacturers association ACEM has now proposed to expand
anti-tampering measures to also include the restricted (stepped licence)
motorcycle (34 hp). With this proposal the industry is in effect
opening doors FEMA considers the gateway to hell: Anti-tampering
regulations for all motorcycles.
http://rideapart.com/2010/03/the-facts-behind-europes-pending-100-hp-motorcycle-limit/

·
Registered
639 Posts
Bikes do not leave the factory in a de-tuned 33hp form, they are done at a local level (dealership) for insurance / age purpose. These (depending on the bike) are through re-programming ecu and changing or modifying the airbox, and is all reversible. I have never heard of anyone needing to change out and ECU, they don't make 'restricted' ECU's, as pointed out earlier, what would be the point?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Bikes do not leave the factory in a de-tuned 33hp form, they are done at a local level (dealership) for insurance / age purpose. These (depending on the bike) are through re-programming ecu and changing or modifying the airbox, and is all reversible. I have never heard of anyone needing to change out and ECU, they don't make 'restricted' ECU's, as pointed out earlier, what would be the point?
so a dealer might be required to restrict the bike if the rider is below a certain age or for the insurance to approve them at their age?

So this isnt something countries in general by law to all bikes? I had never heard of this before, but not surprised, many euro countries (and many countries outside the USA in general AND sometimes the USA) are obsessed with protecting people from themselves.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Restricted? What is this malarky?!?! Is this due to a license restriction or restricted for everyone?
There are countries that won't allow certain size motorcycles on their "land" at all. I've read that some people have their big motorcycles on boats and the island only allows 125cc maximum size motorcycles. So NO BIG MOTORCYCLES allowed! :thumbdown:

·
Registered
639 Posts
so a dealer might be required to restrict the bike if the rider is below a certain age or for the insurance to approve them at their age?

So this isnt something countries in general by law to all bikes? I had never heard of this before, but not surprised, many euro countries (and many countries outside the USA in general AND sometimes the USA) are obsessed with protecting people from themselves.
It was introduced several years ago into the UK and many other European countries. It allowed someone to buy a large cc bike, have it restricted until the time allocated and passing of test was reached then removed said retrictor, thus only having the need to buy one bike. Or you end up buying several bikes just to meet the insurance and country laws requiring you to gain experience, not such a bad thing. Of course you have to take a CBT now that only allows you to ride a 125cc, then take another test to ride up to 600cc, then again. Too many twats jumped onto 1000 cc rockets and landed up in someones living room or under a bus. In France they will not allow bikes over 100bhp on their roads, unless foreign registered. Way before my time, as my first bike was a Suzuki GT750 kettle......
In the UK, I also believe that they restrict it due to age.
So you see why manufacturers will only make one machine, down to local dealers to detune or don't sell.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
Australia has what is called LAMS -Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme - where learners and new riders are limited to motorcycles under, usually, 660cc. Newly licenced drivers/riders go through a 2 year provisional licence scheme where they display a red P1 plate for the first year and a green P2 plate the second year. After that, it's a full licence and no displaying of a plate.

Each grade of P-plate has it's own restriction on speed, etc.

A car driver who has a full licence gets a reduced period in some way but I'm not sure of the details. Maybe they don't display the P-plate.

There is a LAMS SV650 and unrestricted SV650. The pre-2011 DL650 wasn't available in LAMS form but the current model is. http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/bikes/dual-purpose/dual-purpose/2014/v-strom-650-abs-lams.html

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
The F800 BMW series had a limiting cam on the throttle that kept the HP down until a certain experience period had been achieved in some countries.
We may not like that in the US of A but it works with the insurance companies in other countries.
Having the ECU reflashed or disabling a wire would be a simple operation in those areas in question.
I would think that the question might be best answered at the DMV or equivalent in that particular country. Ask at the local police department?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts