StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my aging HJC CL-14 helmet but I am having difficulty finding a helmet that fits. I really wanted to get a modular helmet and I have tried the Nolan 3XL and it did not fit. The Schuberth 2XL did not fit me and based on the way it fit they did not think a 3XL would work. My problem is that my head is long so the modular helmet won't close. Any recommendations on a modular helmet that could work or do I need to go with a fixed helmet and any recommendations for that?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Probably the Shoei Neotec is the best fitting modular you'll find for your large head.

I have a fairly large grape that's really long. I couldn't find a modular that fit to my liking, so I went back to a full face. Arai Signet-Q is the best fitting helmet I've ever owned.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Probably the Shoei Neotec is the best fitting modular you'll find for your large head.

I have a fairly large grape that's really long. I couldn't find a modular that fit to my liking, so I went back to a full face. Arai Signet-Q is the best fitting helmet I've ever owned.
^^^^ Posted as I was looking up Signet-Q specs. I don't believe Arai makes a modular, but the Signet-Q is supposedly for long-heads, and they make an 2XL.

I am a modular guy, myself. It's hard to even try on FF in the store - there is often no place to put your glasses, the getting the glasses back on can be a problem. Sorry to fear the Schuberth didn't work for you. That's a brand to which I've always aspired. You'd think the Braunsweigers would be familiar with and accommodating of the long, large noggin.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Sizing has gone all over the place in the last few years, and HJC drastically changed their internal shapes to be more round about three years ago. Bastards. :furious:

There are some great new brands on the market, but their sizing is completely whacked -- even their XXL and XXXL helmets are about the same as a normal L. (Icon, LS2, Nexx). I was severely disappointed to find that the Icon Airmada (touted as having a long oval shape) in XXXL was smaller than the HJC XL I was wearing. It's a fantastic helmet -- I wanted it so bad -- but it doesn't come in men's sizes. :confused:

You might have to spend some dough -- as others have noted, step over to the gold-plated Shoei or Arai aisle and you'll probably find that which you seek. Limber up your Visa, though... :yikes:

You might also check with Bell -- some of their new helmets are quite nice, and available in larger sizes. No idea whether they even make a flip-up.

If you can't spend the long green, look into AFX helmets -- they make a line of helmets specifically in larger sizes for those of us with abnormally large brains. If you're into the dual-sport thing, the FX-39 runs rather large, and seems to be more oval than many.

Again, no idea whether AFX sells a flip lid -- I'm a full-face sort of person for very good reasons, but that's another debate for another day.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Measure around the hatband area of your head...most helmet makers have a size chart.

Revzilla is a vendor with the best pre-purchase info I've found yet. Send them a msg with your head circumference, description of the shape, and your wishes about the helmet. Pls let us all know what they say. Fat cheeks or a thrusting jaw are also considerations.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't mind spending some $$$ within reason for a good helmet. For me it's usually about what will fit me and then worry about the price later.(shoes, shirts, boots, helmets, etc) I will probably have to take a trip across the line to try on some large helmets as the dealers in the lower mainland don't stock that many large helmets. Any one in Washington state know of a store with great helmet selection?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Why not another HJC?

Though I'm not nearly as well-endowed as you, I'm pretty happy with my not-overpriced, modestly-featured modular helmet from HJC.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HJC is an option for me. I was really wanting a Nolan or Schuberth but they are no longer an option.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sizing has gone all over the place in the last few years, and HJC drastically changed their internal shapes to be more round about three years ago. Bastards. :furious:

There are some great new brands on the market, but their sizing is completely whacked -- even their XXL and XXXL helmets are about the same as a normal L. (Icon, LS2, Nexx).
Skip looking at any Scorpion helmets. I wear an XL in Shoei and Arai....and I need a 3XL in the one model Scorpion makes in that size. Same goes for AGV....I can't even get a 2XL on my head, the opening is too small. I can't get it past the tops of my ears.

Shoei and Arai sizing has been consistent, and correct. HJC may still be, I haven't tried one on in a while.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Helmets

While you're on the webBikeWorld site, check our their review of the HJC CL-17. It is the most exhaustive review I have ever seen and it basically says the CL-17 compares favorably with Arai and Shoei helmets in the $700 range. They come in sizes through 5XL, so you should be able to find something.

I picked one up just today based on the very positive reviews and customer comments around the web and am very happy. I have about 30 freeway miles on it and it seemed to have it all. good ventilation, quite, balanced (now if I could only get it to do the dishes :mrgreen:

All this and Snell certified! I'm gobsmacked!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried on a HJC CL17 today in the 2XL and it was a bit small. They are bringing in a 3XL for me to try so I will know next week. The CL17 look to be a well put together helmet. I have given up on buying a modular, I have never had one so I won't miss it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I seem to collect helmets always looking for one that fits my XL - Long Oval melon. My latest addition to the collection, and my first modular, is the Shoei Neotec. I've only put about 600 miles on it so far, but I am very happy with it. It is still slightly tight, but the XXL was too loose. Maybe it will ease up a bit as I wear it, or maybe my head will get squeezed down a bit. I'm getting ready to leave on a 4000+ mile ride so I can give you a better review in a few weeks.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Perhaps it would be helpful to provide some quantitative info beyond "large" and " big". Generally, "one size fits most", does not include me.

My own head circumference is 24 inches, 61 cm. Sized hats that fit are 7 5/8-7 3/4.

This should have been an XL in my HJC Sy-Max, but I actually required an XXL due to my apparent long-headedness. Previously, I wore a Zeus XXL, and I have a funky AFX 3/4 that is also XXL.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked up an HJC CL17 3XL and it fits great. It looks like a well made helmet. Very comfortable to wear. Came with a pin lock shield and insert. I picked up a smoked visor as well. Funny thing was my old CL 14 was an XL and the CL 17 is a 3XL and they both fix me the same. I really need to pay more attention to the age of my helmet, my CL 14 was from 2003! I could of sworn it was newer than that. FYI, The CL 17 up to 2XL are DOT and Snell approved, 3XL to 5XL are DOT approved only.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts