StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last few days between watching Australia thrash India and working on getting the tool tubes built and installed and the ammo cans lockable and I had to share my pics with people who appreciate their Stroms!

If you would like any more information, let me know! I am riding down to Melbourne on the 15th Jan, so wanted to get the bike all set for the nice long road ahead.

Soups.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Panniers

You can't let it go with just one pic, they look first class. I for one would be interested in a lot more info, c'mon spill it!!

Saturn 5

P.S. It's not everyone that has roof tiles stacked under the bench.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patience!

You'll have to wait until tomorrow for more photos! I'll take it out in the sunshine and get some better shots, I have black reflective tape on the ammo boxes, so every time I try to get a good photo (ie, using the flash) the tape lights up and blinds me. The tool tubes are as simple as pvc pipe, an end on one, and a screw cap on the other. The bottom one is mounted using stainless steel screw up ring things around the sw racks with a 1.5mm rubber strip between the ring and pipe while the top one is rivvetted to the box using drainpipe standoff at the front, and a standard drainpipe loop attachment at the back.

The ammo cans are locked using a u-bolt, with a nylock nut on the outside, and a dome nut and bracket on the inside, again with a piece of rubber there to waterproof it. I will be throwing silicon over any holes to make sure it stays waterproof.

I promise more photos tomorrow morning! I have to take it for a ride after all! It's been up on the centrestand for 3 days now, way too long!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And the panniers, well, I wish I could claim credit! They are surplus military ammunition cans, got them sand blasted and powdercoated. So far they have survived a dirt spill, and riding into a fence post and came out slightly dented, but intact still. They are probably heavier then trax boxes etc, but they are waterproof, dustproof and bombproof it seems.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've spent the last few days between watching Australia thrash India and working on getting the tool tubes built and installed and the ammo cans lockable and I had to share my pics with people who appreciate their Stroms!

If you would like any more information, let me know! I am riding down to Melbourne on the 15th Jan, so wanted to get the bike all set for the nice long road ahead.

Soups.
Nice job,
Mike

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I had the same type of tube but just the one, for a trip to the outback three years ago. I carried 2x1.5 litre bottled water and a lge. can of peaches. Took it off after the trip but plan to install it (maybe 2 of them) again as I plan to carry my new you beaut Gortex jacket.
On the subject of wets, this expenso. Gortex jacket is my last attempt at wearing wets that really work. I've tried many that don't work, despite bull shit lables and I don't want another plastic ( in many guises) " sauna suit. "
Back on the Ammo boxes which kind are they?
Good thing about tough boxes, they keep the bike up off the ground in a lay-down and therefore easier to lift up again. But they can easily break a leg. I came off in gravel during a sand storm in the Flinders Ranges a few years ago and found my leg stuck hard under my soft panniers. No damage to the leg but it would have been mangled by hard panniers. Just the same those of yours look smik.

Saturn 5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saturn 5,

I ordered the boxes through an army disposal store. I just picked the biggest ones they had out of a catalogue. I imagine they get them from the army once they are done with them. So as to brand, I'm guessing, Defence force brand? :mrgreen: And as for the roof tiles, they (and the floor tiles behind them) were in that spot when I bought the house, and I haven't had the need to move them, besides, I don't want them getting wet after all! :biggrinjester:

Notacop,

I just went to Bunnings and got the cheapest keyed alike padlocks they had. The two tubes are the same key, and the 4 pannier locks are the same key. I plan on having my tools, tyre plugs etc etc in one, and the other will be if I carry stove fuel, or water, maybe a tin of peaches as suggested! I am trying to limit what I put on top of the seat rack, and there was this gaping hole there from the racks, so I decided to fill it!

Saturn 5 (again),

2 x 1.5L water bottles? How long was your tube? I made mine forearm length as I figured if I cant get anything out of the very bottom, I'm not exactly going to go and flip the bike up and shake things out!:mrgreen: Lets hope I never find out if the hard panniers mangle legs or not! I currently have a dririder "sauna suit" which I haven't had to try yet, as I usually wear my leather jacket commuting, but the dri rider is coming for this trip. Hopefully, if the bike gods are kind, the waterproof layer will be staying inside the pannier! I would be interested to see how your goretex goes, I had one for many years, but it got lost somewhere along the line. I loved it. Was the only thing that consistently worked during heavy rain.

Any suggestions as how to stop the locks rattling guys? On the test ride today, I found them to rattle a lot over bumps, braking etc as they swing and move. At the moment, my thoughts are to wrap them in duct tape... ?

Soups.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Tubes and stuff

My tube extended from approx. level with the end of the exhaust to pillians foot peg. I slightly bent the wire bit so the tube had a solid 'stop' against the bracket. No I didn't have to tip the bike up. Ha. I placed the bottle in a plastic bag and pulled the handles up and taped them on the upper inside of the tube.
My home made Alum. top box has handles that rattled till I resorted to the standby.....gaffer tape.
My tube was handy to rest my soft panniers on so maybe I will repaint them tomorrow ready for install. I'm getting myself ready to do a two or three day trip in the Nundle area. I've 'flown' over it many times on Google Earth and the whole area has lots of dirt, therefore interesting, roads. From Nundle I'll work my way down to Barrington. There is so much pretty country to see. I often think when visiting these isolated areas what an isolated existence for many thousands of people around Australia. Little wonder many blokes never marry or even have a r er girlfriend.
I have been slowly building a trailer to hold my camping gear. Just lights and mudguards to go. Slow work no real hurry well Ulysses AGM at Mildura end of March. Never thought I would ever think of towing a trailer but my gear is too heavy on long trips. Will see.

Saturn 5

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Saturn 5,

I ordered the boxes through an army disposal store. I just picked the biggest ones they had out of a catalogue. I imagine they get them from the army once they are done with them. So as to brand, I'm guessing, Defence force brand? :mrgreen: And as for the roof tiles, they (and the floor tiles behind them) were in that spot when I bought the house, and I haven't had the need to move them, besides, I don't want them getting wet after all! :biggrinjester:

Notacop,

I just went to Bunnings and got the cheapest keyed alike padlocks they had. The two tubes are the same key, and the 4 pannier locks are the same key. I plan on having my tools, tyre plugs etc etc in one, and the other will be if I carry stove fuel, or water, maybe a tin of peaches as suggested! I am trying to limit what I put on top of the seat rack, and there was this gaping hole there from the racks, so I decided to fill it!

Saturn 5 (again),

2 x 1.5L water bottles? How long was your tube? I made mine forearm length as I figured if I cant get anything out of the very bottom, I'm not exactly going to go and flip the bike up and shake things out!:mrgreen: Lets hope I never find out if the hard panniers mangle legs or not! I currently have a dririder "sauna suit" which I haven't had to try yet, as I usually wear my leather jacket commuting, but the dri rider is coming for this trip. Hopefully, if the bike gods are kind, the waterproof layer will be staying inside the pannier! I would be interested to see how your goretex goes, I had one for many years, but it got lost somewhere along the line. I loved it. Was the only thing that consistently worked during heavy rain.

Any suggestions as how to stop the locks rattling guys? On the test ride today, I found them to rattle a lot over bumps, braking etc as they swing and move. At the moment, my thoughts are to wrap them in duct tape... ?

Soups.
Instead of duct tape try tennis balls. Enough of a slit in the ball to squeeze over the body of the lock. Sure is a dumb idea but the best one I can muster at 2:00 A.M.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Car heater hose.
Find some in a diameter that will be a tight fit over the lock and you won't need to secure it with anything [I must get around and do my locks as well].

·
Registered
231 Posts
heatshrink works well too

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
In the craft stores they have Velcro dots that are self sticking.
One on the lock and one on your ammo box and they will not swing around.
I did it on my pelican box.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Excellent job,you can get one more tube under the exaust if you want
I carry tools in one,petrol fuel canisters for stove and in case i run out in the other and a tripod and chain lube in the other,i have locks on them and to be honest i havent really heard them rattling

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nice work!

That looks like a pretty professional job. I could only tuck one tube inside my pannier bracket on the left. I have some first aid gear, a tyre repair kit and a wet weather jacket all rolled up in that sucker. That way its always there.

I added the reflector as a hint I found somewhere on line for use in case of breakdown etc as it comes off the bike to place on the side of the road ets.... Enjoy your trip south. I have gone from the Gold Coast to the Snowy Mts (fantastic riding) and to Bright in Victoria for the Vstrom meet last year (even better riding). Try and fit in Wee Jasper and Bylong Valley Way en route.

Now as for this attempt.............admittedly it would carry a bit of gear. It might win a farkle award or maybe an idiot award.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Looks solid,
I used car engine vacuum hose (thick rubber hose) on my locks, but I also like the velcro idea, I might put that on the outside of my vacuum hose too.
I only have one tool tube.... for bitumen touring I store a 1.5 litre fuel canister wrapped in a handtowel and for offroad it stores my full toolkit and spares, then the 1.5ltr is swapped for a 4ltr rotopax on my rack.
Have a good ride south

·
Registered
76 Posts
That looks like a pretty professional job. I could only tuck one tube inside my pannier bracket on the left. I have some first aid gear, a tyre repair kit and a wet weather jacket all rolled up in that sucker. That way its always there.

I added the reflector as a hint I found somewhere on line for use in case of breakdown etc as it comes off the bike to place on the side of the road ets.... Enjoy your trip south. I have gone from the Gold Coast to the Snowy Mts (fantastic riding) and to Bright in Victoria for the Vstrom meet last year (even better riding). Try and fit in Wee Jasper and Bylong Valley Way en route.

Now as for this attempt.............admittedly it would carry a bit of gear. It might win a farkle award or maybe an idiot award.
I recon you should paint them green, and put missiles on the side. That will certainly get people's attention. Lololo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts