StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up my tank at a gas station and I approached the driveway to enter the street when I stopped to allow a car to drive by. For some reason, the decline in the driveway caught me off-guard and I found myself struggling to keep the bike upright.

The weight of the full tank probably contributed to my failure to hold up the bike, but I did my best to slow the drop.

It fell on the clutch side, and to my surprise, only the clutch lever broke off. The bar end was scuffed slightly, and the left foot peg was scuffed slightly as well, but nothing else made contact on the ground. I don't have any sliders, engine guard, or handguards installed, and I'd imagine they'd have made contact if I had em.

I'm going to replace the clutch lever ($15.00) but leave the bar end and peg scuffed to remind me of my lapse in attention.

Scary, but inexpensive lesson learned!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry to hear that my friend. One of those flukely moments that will probably never happen. We've all had them and they suck balls haha.

But at least the cost of the damage seems minimal!

There's been a few times where i've been very close to dropping my new '12 strom.

Would hand guards have protected the clutch in this case? or do you think they would have snapped off too?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Happens to everybody, sooner or later.

I was making a routine U-turn, because I had lost my way
and wound up in Skullbone Tennessee, going the wrong way.

One lapse in attention, and over it goes. I thought that lots of
pieces sticking out to port would be bent or broken, but only a
turn signal got broken, and even then the bulb survived.

Before and after that upset, I rode my Wee-Strom 30,000 miles
without any collision or upset, and I expect to continue doing so.

I expect you will too. Good luck with that.
Keith

·
Registered
471 Posts
What a heartbreaker !! Hopefully it will never happen again, but I think we all have to do it once to get it out of the way. I dropped my Goldwing in my driveway, no damage but it smartened me up..............it doesn't mean I won't do it again but I think about it every time I drive in. Enjoy your bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TD

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm going to replace the clutch lever ($15.00) but leave the bar end and peg scuffed to remind me of my lapse in attention.
Buy some Barkbusters to protect your controls. You know this is but the first drop. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've never dropped or damaged my own bikes. But all four of them have been damaged by other people...

1. Virago - kicked over by some jack dandy :furious:
2. Shadow - knocked over by car backing into it :furious:
3. Nomad - more car action :furious:
4. Vstrom - previous owner rolled it off rear stand :confused:

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
My left front turn signal has been held together for ~30-40,000(?) miles with black (33 3M) electrical tape - good stuff. Without the tape, it would crumble to the ground in 6 pieces. And a few years of road grime makes it blend right in. Cain't hardly tell the difference.

PS - When you hear the kickstand pop down without verifying it (by sight or foot feel), it might actually have popped back up.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I learned the lesson to make my stop, put both feet down (or one on the ground and one on the brake on a slope), THEN look around at traffic. After some time on the bike (and it varies with each of us) we can probably come to a complete stop momentarily with both feet up, then power ahead. Don't rush into this maneuver.

·
Registered
86 Posts
your ok thats the main thing . my mate took a similar tumble on his bike and damaged his shoulder and has been off his bike all winter ..plus you have got away with very little damage to the bike . that is probably the only little fall you,ll have just forget it ....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the positive words and feedback, folks.

I gave the bike another inspection and noticed that the front left blinker was loose. Looks like it made contact on the ground and popped in. I simply had to remove one screw and re-secure it. Very pleased that it popped into the bike (cowling) rather than break off.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Are they delivered by Unicorns???

Where is this magical place where 15 dollar clutch levers exist.... I will take several at that price.....

:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where is this magical place where 15 dollar clutch levers exist.... I will take several at that price.....

:confused:
OEM Parts

LOL well, it doesn't include shipping, but shipping is cheaper than oneidasuzuki.com.

I am going to buy some other stuff to help justify the shipping costs.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
My left front turn signal has been held together for ~30-40,000(?) miles with black (33 3M) electrical tape - good stuff. Without the tape, it would crumble to the ground in 6 pieces. And a few years of road grime makes it blend right in. Cain't hardly tell the difference.
Goop, my friend, Goop. Good as new, watertight, and less janky looking. Tested for over 80 000 kms.
AG Automotive Product Information 0709

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess what, folks? Dropped it again! I actually dropped it only a few days after my first drop. Same side, different situation. This time, I decided to park the bike on a slightly downward-grade driveway - with the headlight pointing downhill.

Yeah, I know - I deserved to get my bike rolled onto its side for that.

The lever wasn't replaced by then, so there was nothing to prevent the tank from making contact (fell on the clutch side again). Mirror got scratched, and I think the handlebar was pushed slightly in. I don't think the shifter was bent, but I can't quite tell (neither can the dealer).

Anyway, I'm getting the damaged bits replaced (thankfully my insurance is covering it and my deductible is low) and I just installed new handguards and the under cowling plastic guard. I'm over the shock of dropping it for a second time, and I sure as hell hope that I've really learned my lesson.

Now...to find some solid sliders...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gravel, oops...

...Would hand guards have protected the clutch in this case? or do you think they would have snapped off too?
I lost balance while stopping in a gravel parking lot, and laid the bike down as gently as possible, which is probably never gentle enough for such a new bike! It ended up resting on the top-case, engine bars, and hand-guard. No scratches or damage anywhere else, and nothing worth mentioning on those parts. Mostly an embarrassing experience, what with witnesses and all!

·
Registered
15,249 Posts
Wow, you really don't like this bike do you?

I got the Wee because my 1100RT BMW was such a beast to hang on to when it started to slip away. Sprained my wrist once holding it up and struggled to pick it up a couple times. A feller should never ride a motorcycle they can't pick up. Lighter in mo bettah.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, you really don't like this bike do you?

I got the Wee because my 1100RT BMW was such a beast to hang on to when it started to slip away. Sprained my wrist once holding it up and struggled to pick it up a couple times. A feller should never ride a motorcycle they can't pick up. Lighter in mo bettah.
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE this bike. I just wasn't quite prepared for it. My previous bike for 2 years was a Honda Rebel, which was very light.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE this bike. I just wasn't quite prepared for it. My previous bike for 2 years was a Honda Rebel, which was very light.
All bikes fall over if you have them long enough. I once forgot to put the kickstand down before dismounting in my garage. It had been a long, hard day. Luckily I had parked far enough away from the car that there was room to lay the bike down gently.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts