StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And the cure is new motorcycle project!

I got to talking to my wifes uncle last month and he said he has an old motorcycle in his shed he wants to get rid of. I get to thinking and wander over to take a look.

Well things happened moneys was exchanged....very little moneys at that..

and I am now the proud owner....ok owner...ok slightly deranged owner of...

A total basket case 1969 BSA 500 Royal Star.

Its rough...Its real rough

But it has promise

The tank when I pulled it outta the weeds

And after a good cleaning

The carb before and after I got my hands on it

That uber cool 500 twin.

So well see where I go with this. But at least I have something to fiddle with this winter instead of staring out the window wishing the snow would go away.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I wish I had a bigger garage. The bikes, quad, and trailer are taking up my 2 car garage. Now, if I had a barn or separate, detatched garage, then I could find something to do while it's -10 and 4 inches of snow on the ground.

Looks like a good start on a worthwhile project. Keep us posted on the progress.

Tige

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Good luck, You know what BSA stands for don't you?

Bloody
Sore
Ass

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Pull the jugs! Lessee what she's got in there! You're going to want to media blast those things anyway. JUGS JUGS JUGS JUGS

Nice project ya got there too.

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
As I found out the last couple of days.....nothing quite like riding a snowmobile, when the white stuff is on the ground. I just got home from a big sledding trip in Wolverine......had a freakin blast!!!! I do like your new little project, should prove to be quite a challenge as well as time consuming. Keep us updated on your process.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
" I gots the cure to the winter blues ".......

Dude.....that bike rocks!!!!! Love the project!!!!!

For me, it is all about my son's XL600R......and the work I need to do to my DL650.

Here's the list....

1. Check the Valves
2. Install the Engine Guards
3. Install the Sonic Springs and New Oil
4. Do some foam work to the Tall Touring Saddle

Yep.....I got projects as well........

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got the motor pulled today. Spent a good portion of the morning hosing the entire bike down with PB Blaster to reverse 40 years of corosion.

It looks like whoever had this before me (not my wife uncle that I got it from) was in the process of taking the motor out as 1/2 the work was already done for me. But I still had to call in a friend for help as that motor is one heavy bastard.

Its currently sitting on the workbench with PB Blaster in the cylinders working its magic on the rings. Its locked up at the moment. I assume from sitting. Might head back there tomorrow (its at my parents they have more room than I do) and get the head removed so I can start tickeling them pistons with a block of wood and hammer.

Ill try and bring the camera over next time I visit it. Till then.

·
Registered
603 Posts
A total basket case 1969 BSA 500 Royal Star.

Its rough...Its real rough
But that's the beauty of the project. Think of how great it will feel and how beautiful the bike will be when you bring it back from the brink! Can't wait to watch the pictures and see the final result. Good luck.

I've restored a 1974 BMW and enjoyed the heck out of it. When it was done the bike was so pretty I was afraid to ride it. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I gotta tell yas my goal is not to restore this bike. It may have been for a little but. but taking a quick inventory of what is wrong/missing quickly set me straight. Im not made of money and am not looking for a project quite like that.

So what I am looking to make is a Bobber. I like the looks of a Bobber way more than the stock bike so Bobber wins out. Hopfully it will end up looking something like this

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Well I got the motor pulled today.

get the head removed

Ill try and bring the camera over next time I visit it
Oh YEAH. Here come the goods.

Let me know if ya get hungup with something. There's a chance I can help. I've got a few friends in the GR-area with "relevant resources."

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a few friends in the GR-area with "relevant resources."
Thats always good to know. Its funny. Once I mentioned a BSA project to my peeps the sources start coming out of the woodwork.

better not drop the ball and keep us hanging.
Ill see what I can do. This is going to be a loooooong project I think. Especialy if I have to graft a diff front end on it. The forks on the bike are not so good. Not sure if I can salvage them. If not I am looking to go for conventional forks with disk brakes front and rear.

But I really hope I can keep the front end thats on it. It is majorly old school looking and thats what Im aiming for.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I got a few pictures for ya. I got a little work done on it tonight. Removed the head and got the cylinder broke loose from the bottom end. The pistons have started to move but they have yet to come all the way out. I PB blasted them some more and let them sit.

The motorless bike sitting in the workshop

Motor on the bench

Innerds of the head

Got the head off. Because of where the motor was locked up I couldn't get the LH exhaust valve tapped adjuster backed off enough to remove the pushrod. So I had to unbolt the cylinder and pop the cylinder up a little to ease off the pushrods so I could get them out. Reason the pushrods need to come out is there is a bolt dead center of the head that had to come out and the pushrods were in the way.

So the head is majorly grungy but looks salvagable. Ill have to see how the valve faces look. Might need a lapping or worse case cut the seats, new valves, guides and all that. But that remains to be seen.

Next up is what is down those cylinders....Some kinda nasty Ill tell ya what.

Took a few paper towels and soped up the spooge that resided in there. I looked in one of the cylinder and pushed on the piston and it moved...Sweet....no not sweet... somethings not right there....Thats not the piston...what the heck is that....Pry it out of the cylinder.....

Yep a block of ice. Not what I was expecting nor wanted to see. The cylinders look nasty. But not overly nasty. Im betting just running a hone down there will remove the majority of the mung. But it will probably have to be bored oversize like .010-.020 over.

I put a hammer handle ontop of the piston and wacked that hammer with another and it moved. Tried the other side and that one moved as well. Sweet! A little wiggling and jiggling and I got the cylinder up about 1/2 inch and it stoped. So I PB Blasted it again and let it set for another day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Score. Just bought a 650 cylinder and twin carb head off craigslist for $100. Sweet!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I managed a few hours to work on the bike this week. Pistons still wont move in the cylinders despite some major persuasion. But I did figure out why the crank wasn't turning. The clutch on these is chain drove from the crank. When I pulled the side cover off there was ice in the bottom of the case keeping the clutch and chain from spinning. I chiseled the ice out and PB Blasted the chain and wala...the crank turns. I got the cylinder to lift up higher so I can have a better view of the bottom of those stuck pistons. Man those suckers are stuck but good.

So I took one of the side covers home and started cleaning that up. Its getting there. Still needs to be sanded to get the nicks and scratches out but is looking better.

·
Registered
780 Posts
YZ,

Very interesting project and your pics are great. I really enjoy your before & after shots.

As a fellow Michigander, I certainly have a deep appreciation for the ice "plugs" that you're dealing with.

I'm sure that just about everyone that reads Stromtroopers either wants or has lusted for an old Triumph, BSA or Norton to enjoy. Your project looks like a lot of work but I'm positive that the end result will be worth it.

Please continue to post your progress............

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok here is another update for ya.

This is the bastard cylinder I have been dealing with. Piston stuck as all get out.

But.....I got it. Just had to get serious with it

Cylinder is UGLY

But thats ok...cause I have a plan.....

And that plan came in the mail yesterday

650 dual carb head and cylinder $125 delivered.

Think this cylinder looks better than the old one?

I think so too.

Here is the clutch and ignition sides of the motor. The reason I was having a hard time getting the cylinder raised up is that the crank wouldn't spin. This had me concerned. Well it turns out that the problem was the clutch. It was frozen in a block of ice. Chiseled that away and the crank now turns. Sweet.

Also got some work done on the clutch cover.

Thats about it for now.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts