StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not in the stumbling, fall over, I'm king of the world kind of way, but nearly taken out by a flying trash can kind of way!
Yesterday, my wife and I were riding down a two lane country road and happened to make a turn onto another faster road just as one of those big trucks that has a crane attached to it went by in front of us. As we caught up to the truck, we were running probably about 60 mph and keeping at speed with him, maybe about 20 yards behind him.
All of a sudden, his draft picked up one of those large industrial plastic trash cans and flung it out in front of my bike! My wife on her bike in close pursuit of me. I barely had time to make an evasive move and ended up clipping the front of the can sending it into a spinning top right behind me. She is a great rider and managed to see what was happening and prepared for her escape line and somehow miss this massive obstacle spinning right at her. It took out my front reflector and my crash bar took the brunt of the force but no real damage to the bike other than that. That can could have easily been sent flying over me and, it would surely have taken her out.
Over the years, we have had stoves fall of trucks in front of us, gas cans fly out of truck beds and many other odd pieces of debri come hurtling our way.
Lesson learned to always give plenty of room to those fast moving trucks in front of you for many good reasons! Be aware out there, because you just never know!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Glad you escaped. I once got a ticket from a trooper in a residential 35 zone for passing a scrap metal truck in a no passing zone. The truck was going around 25, so I was only going around the limit when I passed. I tried to explain my reasoning, but still got the ticket.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Not in the stumbling, fall over, I'm king of the world kind of way, but nearly taken out by a flying trash can kind of way!

Yesterday, my wife and I were riding down a two lane country road and happened to make a turn onto another faster road just as one of those big trucks that has a crane attached to it went by in front of us. As we caught up to the truck, we were running probably about 60 mph and keeping at speed with him, maybe about 20 yards behind him.

All of a sudden, his draft picked up one of those large industrial plastic trash cans and flung it out in front of my bike! My wife on her bike in close pursuit of me. I barely had time to make an evasive move and ended up clipping the front of the can sending it into a spinning top right behind me. She is a great rider and managed to see what was happening and prepared for her escape line and somehow miss this massive obstacle spinning right at her. It took out my front reflector and my crash bar took the brunt of the force but no real damage to the bike other than that. That can could have easily been sent flying over me and, it would surely have taken her out.

Over the years, we have had stoves fall of trucks in front of us, gas cans fly out of truck beds and many other odd pieces of debri come hurtling our way.

Lesson learned to always give plenty of room to those fast moving trucks in front of you for many good reasons! Be aware out there, because you just never know!

I'm pretty sure I have the reflector if you want it. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always expect the unexpected! I should have been hanging back a little further. Training, experience and luck got me through this one

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. I hadn't thought about the risk of debris from a big truck's air wave, but I will add that to the list of hazards to keep in mind on future rides. One reason I read these boards is for these types of stories, where I can learn from the experience of others. Glad you and your wife escaped with nothing more than minor damage to your bike.

·
Super Moderator
13,087 Posts
Good you avoided a possibly worse situation!

It's one reason I try to stay about 2 seconds behind other vehicles. (At 60 mph you travel about 90 feet per second so 180 feet or 60 yards.) It gives you much more time to perceive and react to threats.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
That could have ended badly for sure. There is a video floating around of a guy getting hit by a tire coming off a vehicle going the other direction, actually killed him, rotten luck.

I have had two instanced I can think of, one was a hubcap that came off the car in front and to my right, the cap crossed the road in front of me, hit the center divider, then came right at me, but fortunately I was able to avoid it. Not as dangerous as a garbage can but still capable of doing damage with all the force applied.

The other instance was when I ran over a piece of 2X4 that was laying directly on the painted line and almost invisible, I had turned my head to shoulder check, then started changing lanes and then saw it in front of my wheel, too late to avoid it I just ran over it with both wheels and luckily it didn't flip up and damage me or the bike.

One guy at work came around a corner in his car and there was a ladder laying directly across the road which he ran over, it tore out parts of his undercarriage and did other damage, on a bike that could be really ugly.

I remember seeing a car that had run over someone's bed mattress at speed, it had wrapped around his front wheel well and bent everything under there. The mattress had flipped off the top of a car in front of him, not tied down properly.

Best rule, never follow behind a truck as they may toss rocks at you, and never get behind someone carrying an odd load. I also change lanes if I cannot see in front of the vehicle in front of me whenever possible, like a bus, or van etc.

I wish they would outlaw blacked out back windows, Looks cool, but very dangerous to vehicles following, but that will never happen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The horror stories I hear are normally mattresses and shredded tires from semis.

I am always nervous when traveling behind a truck carrying any type of cargo... You never know how well people strap stuff in. Seems like more often than not, they don't. It just gets dropped in the truck bed, and the driver prays it doesn't escape.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Glad you and your wife are okay. Luckily, haven't encountered anything like that on my bike (yet...), but have seen a 8+foot piece of wood come flying off of a Toyota pickup at highway speeds and had a 5 in piece of asphalt take out my car's windshield in the bay area. Bet your heart jumped out of your chest that day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts