Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got one today....too (Updated with Farkles!)

Picked up my Khaki 2014 Strom 1000 today! With sales tax and transferring/renewing my plate, I was at a true out-the-door price of $8784. Hard to argue with that!

And the dealer is only five minutes from my house. Back in September, I almost did the fly-n-ride to Romney in WV when they were advertising $9050 out-the door with the Suzuki tail case (which I really didn't want) and Romney is now advertising $8450 out-the-door without the tail case (see what they did there?).

Both Romney numbers ($9050 and $8450) do not include sales tax or license fees, so I really have nothing to complain about. Apples to apples, it was $8450 from Romney with the fly-n-ride vs. $8141 from Sky Powersports.

Let the farkling begin!

Tipsy

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Cograts man!

·
Registered
463 Posts
haha nice! With these prices, I imagine there will be lots of new owners! Congrats on your purchase, especially being right down the street! I had to drive 11 hrs round trip to get mine! :eek:ut:

It was worth it though! :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
You want to buy a brand new Suzuki oil filter protector comes on the 2014 adventure 1000, took mine off and installed a givi skid. Brackets and bolts come with it. NEW!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You want to buy a brand new Suzuki oil filter protector? Comes on the 2014 adventure 1000. Took mine off and installed a givi skid. Brackets and bolts come with it. NEW!
Thanks, but I'm going to get a proper bash plate. I'm looking at the Givi and the SW Motech but the Happy Trail seems pretty stout.

I need to do a bit more research to compare how difficult the various bash plates are to remove for oil changes. And which crash bars they'll work with.

Tipsy

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Nice paint. Mine became Khaki recently. Actually the Rustoleum can said Tan but let's not quibble.
Makes the bike much more adventurous
Happy riding..

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've been on the road for almost a month. I ordered a bunch of parts while I was away and started to get everything sorted today, but ended up with a few snags. I ordered a Zumo 660LM and an over-the-dash GPS bracket from AdventureTech. I received the GPS but when I opened the package from AdventureTech, I thought the GPS bracket looked a lot like a fork brace. That's because they sent me a fork brace :) Oh well. Looks like the correct part won't be here till Monday and I travel again Tuesday :sad:.

From Motostorm in Italy, I ordered a bunch of Givi bits to include black 37L Trekker Outback side cases, a 42L top case, case racks, Givi aluminum top case bracket, Givi crash bars, Givi kickstand foot enlarger and a few cargo nets, etc. for the bags. The Givi crash bars showed up with a bit of a scratch. Doh! I touched it up today with some textured black Rustoleum. It actually seems to be a very close match. I've still got it taped up but I'll report back tomorrow on how well the Rustoleum blends.

The second issue appears to the fault of Givi; when I laid out the parts to install the SRA3105 aluminum top case bracket, I noticed I had two parts of which I only need one, and one part of which I need two. So much for the "Quality Inspected by #105" insert that was in the packaging. I'll have to shoot an email to Givi in the morning. I can't complain too much. The parts I ordered from Motostorm saved me nearly $700 vs. ordering from the states.

I got the Suzuki center stand installed. Super easy to install. And I also installed a bunch of decals/paint protectors I bought from Motorcycle.ca in Canada. These are part #'s 990D0-31J07-PAD, 990D0-31J03-PAD, 990D0-31J04-PAD and 990D0-31J01-PAD.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the BarkBusters, Kaoko throttle lock, side case brackets and crash bars. I've also got PC-8 auxiliary fuse block from Easter Beaver.

Tipsy

My GPS Bracket :grin2:

Scratched Crash Bars

What Was In the Box

What Should Have Been in the Box

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Ouch, that sucks about the missing parts, not sure how warranty works for that but expect the worse i guess. Email motostorm and they can ship a new one out, then you have some spares.

I guess you picked an unlucky date to order or something.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congrats on the new 1000... It's a great ride!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on the new 1000... It's a great ride!
Thanks! I'm really enjoying it so far!

For those of you with Givi crash bars, I used Rustoleum Textured Black (7220) to touch up the scratch. I have to admit, considering it's a paint to powder-coat touch-up, it's a remarkably good match. It's a bit cloudy at the movement but I'll try to snap a picture when the sun comes out.

Also, Motostorm is making good on both issues. They offered to discount the crash bars or give me free shipping on a future order. And with regard to the missing bracket piece, they are getting the part from Givi and mailing it to me. Okay, a bit inconvenient but again - for the money saved, I'm not complaining.

Tipsy

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did a little more farkling today. Installed the Givi crash bars and the Barkbusters along with a Kaoko throttle lock.

Maybe this will help someone in the future; the KBB200Rev1 Kaoko throttle lock that's designed to be used with BB.BHG46.3.SBK Barkbusters comes with five thrust washers. There is a specific one of the five included thrust washers that is the correct washer. The problem is that only one of the five thrust washers had any identifying marks. The correct thrust washer to use on the Strom is the TH-TW D002C. It is the only one of the five that has a recess instead of a protruding lip.

Tomorrow I'll get the side racks installed.

Tipsy

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
A little more farkling; I installed a set of Skene P3 lights with the IQ-160 controller. Most of you know that the IQ-160 controller has the option to have the lights "flicker," which is supposedly not very noticeable when looking directly at the lights but very noticeable when viewed in the periphery.

I wanted to do the install without cutting any of the stock Suzuki harness and with no splices or taps. I also wanted to tie the stock LED tail/brake light into the controller circuit. To do this, I made a little plug-play harness. The stock taillight connector is a 3-pin Sumitomo HX 090. Cycle Terminal doesn't have the male side connector listed but he does have it.

I'm not a fan of the little mounting brackets included with the P3's so I made a backing plate/mounting bracket from a piece of Lexan. The P3's are mounted to the Lexan which is sandwiched between the license plate and the plate bracket.

The stock taillight and brake light are in perfect sync with the P3's. Very happy with how it came out. Standard disclaimer that the pics do nothing to demonstrate the flicker or brightness.

Next up is to remove the fuel tank so I can hardwire my GPS, front DRL's and install an auxiliary fuse block.

Tipsy

Skene P3 Kit

Template for Bracket

12" x 12" Lexan from Home Depot Racing

Plate and P3's on Lexan Bracket

Mounted on Tailpiece

Completed Harness

Tucked Away Nice & Neat

All Done

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nice one mate and at the right price too.
If you are inclined to some off road riding that see's you standing up the pivoting Rox Risers are excellent when combined with a foot peg lowering plate and the brilliant Pivot Pegz.
I have BarkBusters with Storm guards and they are a perfect fitting, only just touching the standard wind screen at full lock either way with the Risers rolled forward an inch.
The standing ergo's are perfect now and still feel great sitting and attacking the twisty's.
Have fun setting it up! Check with your Dealer if they fixed up the chaffing wire issue under the tank too. I just put some tape on it and haven't taken mine in for the recall.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If anyone is interested in the wiring, it's pretty simple. The stock taillight harness connector gets disconnected from the taillight and attached to the connector labeled #1. #1 is a Sumitomo HX 090 connector that is connected to the inputs of the Skene IQ-160. Just match the pin positions for tail, brake and ground. (Suzuki Brown is Tail Light, Suzuki White/w Black is Brake Light and Suzuki Black w/White is Ground).

Connector #2 plugs into the stock tail/brake light assembly. You need to combine the tail and brake signals. The third (second) wire is ground. These are then connected to the output from the Skene controller at connector #3. The Silver wire in the Skene controller is paired with the brake and tail light wires. The Copper wire from the controller is paired with the tail light ground.

Connector #3 combines the brake/tail wire and ground coming from Connector #2 with the silver/copper wires coming from the controller. I then pinned the P3's to a connector which plugs into #3.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
the pivoting Rox Risers are excellent when combined with a foot peg lowering plate and the brilliant Pivot Pegz.
I had the pivoting Rox risers on my Uly. They are great. But I'm not too keen on messing with risers on the Strom based on what I've read about minimal slack in the harness and brake lines. I am giving thought to both the peg lowering kit and some kind of improved pegs...perhaps the Pivot Pegz.
Check with your Dealer if they fixed up the chaffing wire issue under the tank too. I just put some tape on it and haven't taken mine in for the recall.
I know the dealer hasn't addressed the chaffing under the tank or the forward harness connectors. When I have the tank removed, I'll protect the connectors with some inner tube. Once the recall gets rolling here in the States, I'll swing by the dealer and see what they intended to do about the forward electrical connectors.

Tipsy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts