StromTrooper banner

I got new bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Stalky Tracker 
#1 · (Edited)
It's the same DL650 K04 I've been riding for the past three years (my first bike). But it is a new bike . . .why? I took the freaking OEM flying saucer luggage off. Unbelievable, I've never done that. I've always had the top case on.

What a difference - the bike flies instead of floats, since I took off the sail. Carving is better, speed and acceleration is a pinch hotter. I almost over did it a few times as the stability and comfort of the bike seemed more athletic, agile, sophisticated, functional and all that other language.

So, I'm grinning again because the old twisty roads that have come to bore me are now breathing new life. I think I'll ride like this for the rest of the summer when I"m just 'riding'

I've been touring and the only enjoyment I really, really get out of the bike is 4-10 hour rides across states but now, my 40 min enjoyment is back. Now I understand why the WeeStrom is the versatile bike that it is.

Oh yeah, I broke my windshield off by mistake, so I have nothing slowing the bike down except for me and the HJC modular wind-stopper helmet. I didn't know there were that many bugs flying by, nor did I know that stung like that, as the perished on my face.

So to recap, no windshield, no luggage. Just SV560 engine, bugs and my neck getting stronger. Previously, I posted about riding the Triumphs ,T100 and T800, that those bikes were so much faster. After the test rides, getting back on the DL650 to go home was like hopping out of a Corvette and into a school bus. But, I wasn't comparing apples to apples and I just realized it. Neither the T200 or T800 had luggage or windshields worth nickel. The T1000 had 'luggage' But 1000cc is a different animal anyway. So, in stripping my Wee off those 'excesses' I've gained a little pep and a LOT of enjoyment. . .. for the peppier rides I take from time to time.

I dare say, do try it. One thing I haven't done yet is get to some highway riding - buzzing around the big rigs. Perhaps my newly found agility will equal less turbulence. Of course, the wind noise has gone up about 15 decibels. So, ear plugs are essential.

Well, now I have to purchase a new winshiled, ny ideas what windshiled will keep me err . . . quick. Hmmmm. . . .more aerodynamic luggage would be interesting to ride with. I bet my gas mileage has gotten better.

Time to leave the briefcase and papers at the office - and the top case at home. Long way home might get a Wee bit longer.

See less See more
#3 ·
Took my hard topcase off mine as I didn't like the way the bike handles with it on. Still have my Givi E41's and will keep them (I really like the storage for groceries and such) but I will be using soft luggage topside from now on. I am consistantly getting 55mpg plus since removing the top box. Have a small soft tail bag for around town and waterproof gas in both medium and large sizes (match bag to trip) for getting out and away. Like the bike much better this way.

#4 ·
You guys are beginning to catch on. You can remove more then you realize, and pack differently too! Here I am packed up for a 1,700+ mile, 4 day trip.

#12 ·
Black Lab: What model topbox is that? I really like the Pelican Luggage durability. BTW will that top box you have on hold a helmet?

#11 ·
For what its worth...I also took the top-box off and only use the Givi hard cases. When I need more room I have a Wolfman (yellow!) waterproof bag I strap on the rack. So far...So good!! I did 987 miles last weekend including a day into a @#&*% headwind heading north on Hwy 101 and still got a tad over 50 MPG. Of course I also froze my butt off, but that's another story!:green_lol:

Dave

#13 ·
My top box lives on the bike, so decided, for nothing else that shear humor, to take it off for a ride today, to enjoy this "new bike" feeling.....ya, uhhh, no, same bike as always, no feeling in any way shape or form, haha.

That said, whenever I wash my bike, it rides considerably better, so maybe it was just too dirty today?

#14 ·
I took my top box off this week to see what it was like. Didn't notice any difference. I have a fairly large top box too (see below).

My ride consisted of a 12 mile commute at about 60 MPH.

#15 ·
What a difference - the bike flies instead of floats, since I took off the sail. Carving is better, speed and acceleration is a pinch hotter. I almost over did it a few times as the stability and comfort of the bike seemed more athletic, agile, sophisticated, functional and all that other language.

So, I'm grinning again because the old twisty roads that have come to bore me are now breathing new life.

#18 · (Edited)
Did the duffy loop on the weekend with my boxes off..... all that was different was I missed the rain gear I usually have there on my way home....

...... but it WAS dirty..... like me!

#20 ·
I notice no difference between top case and no top case. I run a V46 every day for commuting. A E35 Traffic or nothing for weekend trips. My best gas mileage was a trip with the E35 - 63 mpg. My worst was no top case - 48 mpg (it was a tank with Stabil from over winter). My worst regular tank is no top case - 50 mpg.

I think it's more the right wrist than the top case (imho). :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.