StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started riding and got a horrifically yellow 2003 dl1000 for 2300 bucks. It was from a consignment shop in Colorado, buy it before you ride it. 60k on the bike. It was fine for a few weeks and recently I did a quick 2 mile trip with a bunch of stop lights and the radiator over flow hose dumped out a 12” x 12” puddle. It was no hotter out than the previous 2 weeks.

I checked to make sure the fan runs (kicks on between 3-4 bars). I did notice electrical tape on the wiring harness for the fan. I poked the harness and saw a spark. Looks like there’s a red and yellow wire wire that might need to be the culprit…..It’s probably a series of problems but the fan has been running since.

My next step is removing the radiator cap and cleaning the hell out of if. Maybe it’s just a pressure build up in the system? Any other suggestions before I start taking off plastics and getting into a real project before the season ends?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Any good radiator shop should be able to do a pressure test on both the radiator and cap. My first step would be, to attempt to solve the mystery of the sparking wire. To me, any sparking wire in the harness or a connector, is a huge concern. Do you have access to a wiring diagram?
WRT the leak, what is the condition of the over-flow hose and hose clamps from the radiator to the over-flow bottle? Is the over-flow bottle filling up when the radiator fluid pressure is too high? As you have already stated, it could simply be a faulty radiator cap. A faulty over-flow hose clamp or pipe could also be the cause of the leak. Abnormal radiator temp could translate to a faulty thermostat. There have been a few threads on the water pump weep hole discharge.
Normally the operating temperature of your Vee should be below 3 temp bars. The fan should kick in after the temp reading is 3 or more bars.
Edit: I forgot to welcome you to the Forum. I noticed that it was your 1st post.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It sounds like you’re already planning on flushing the coolant, which is a good idea regardless of whether you have any problems. I have a 2002 and when I flushed it, I replaced the hoses too. I think they were about $25 each, so not terrible, by motorcycle parts standards. I’d definitely fix that wire though and make sure you’re fan is operating as Gert described above. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Tons of good information on here and a lot of helpful folks.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Ensuring the fan works and a new radiator cap would be good places to start.

The system runs on pressure, the higher pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant, if the cap releases the pressure early it will contribute to overheating and the spewing.

Reactions: slovcan

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Radiator cap, thermostat or the fan is jammed or just not running are the most likely. Run it when cold with the cap off and if no bubbles appear it's not the expensive reason (Blown head gaskets are REALLY rare on these bikes).

Given your description of circumstances though fan not running matches best.

Agreed on the hoses, you can buy silicone replacement kits which are pretty good value as well. The hoses are getting old so at least look at them when you are there, if the ends are looking in bad shape it is worth replacing the ones you can get at.

·
Registered
16,002 Posts
Hola, Papa. I've got 101k miles on the original coolant and hoses and everything so there is some hope it could be a simple failure, like the cap. Depends of what the PO's have done in the manner of bad wrenching. Lots of home mechanics kill motorcycles trying their best not to.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
If it is like my 2004, take the cap for the overflow tank and pull it out 1/4 inch. Stupid thing restricted the overflow line and forced the coolant out around the cap.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Plasti Dip is another great way to change colour.

Spray it on, when your sick of looking at it peel it off.

I have my white V2 painted camo green, the plasti dip also protects the original paint work.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Plasti Dip is another great way to change colour.

Spray it on, when your sick of looking at it peel it off.
That is really cool. I had never heard of the stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts