StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped it twice on the same trip. Thank God for those Givi guards that I put on.

1. Stopped at a dirt road to take a leak and tried to turn the Vee while it was at a stand still. It turns better while in motion. doh! Bike fell. I had to take off my bags to lift the bike.

2. This one was embarrassing. I was pushing the bike at a gas station to get away from the pumps and hit one of the big Givi bags on the concrete guard rail. I could not stop it, it fell with a crashing sound. A lot of people saw it, even one of those hippie cruiser like dudes. A young couple ran over and helped me pick up the bike. (There are still a lot of nice folks in the world.) I felt like a donkey`s behind for sure.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey, I think most of us have been there and done that. At least your bike was protected from any major damage! :D

·
Registered
988 Posts
There are three kinds of riders: Those who have dropped a bike, those who haven't yet, and those who lie about it.

My daughter made me a sign once that I proudly attached to the gauge cluster on my old Concours: "16 Days Since Last Stopsign Tipover"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dropped my Wee

Had my DL650 K5 for 5 months. Tippitoes on the street and never dropped it.

Tippitoes don't work in creek gravel or chert roads very well. An experienced rider can do it, but I'm pretty much a noob.

Took the Red Wee out with the Tennessee Dirt Devils a couple of weekends ago and dropped it 3 times. Twice in creek crossings and once in a dirt parking lot with uneven dirt. This was my first time off road. Had a blast.

KLRs and XR650s, an XR400, a Zuki something, sundry others and one Sherpa ran rings around me. I was the only Strom there and the guys asked me why I brought such a heavy bike out for a trail ride. I even enjoyed watching one KLR taking a deep dunk in a creek crossing right in front of me. Had a blast.

Givis saved me. Only problem is now they vibrate between 3700 and 4500 and its enough to really be bothersome. Nary a hum before the drops.

I have a Mo Tech skid plate to attach, and tying all that together might take care of the raspy, irritating, grating vibrations. Got to fix that somehow. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've always been very cautious when stopping, still have not dropped the wee in 15 mos, well late the other night I casualy pulled into a subway under a big tree and there were these little round twigs that dropped off the tree, sure enough I stepped on one and whoa, almost lost it completely so no matter how cautious I've been it will jump out one day and BAM! I just hope no one is watching when it happens, watch out under trees!:mod2_clown:

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I haven't dropped my bike this year....................yet.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
6 or 7 times this year that I can remember. Twice this past weekend. 3 or 4 times in deep sand, once when I bumped into a log hidden in the weeds, twice on wet, muddy, rocky trails. Pat Walsh guards, Moose hand guards, 20mm ammo cans, etc all help minmize the damage. I'm usually the only one tipping over cuz the others are on much more trail-friendly bikes. The Wee is not a dirt bike no matter how much we want it to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts