StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after 5,000 miles on my bike the suspension was adjusted and man what a difference!! i was at a friends house (big time motorcycle guy) and he started asking me about my suspension, and i told him i haven't touched it since i bought it...

well he adjusted the pre-load on both front and rear and man it feels sooo much better!! not nearly as soft and sits up a little taller! and it stops better too!:thumbup:

i guess i never thought about adjusting it before, but it makes sense now since i am bigger and heavier than the PO.

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
I kinda did the opposite. I started backing off the settings to the most travel, more plush ride. I haven't found a down side yet, it still handles well and is comfy on the road.
I'm 5'7" and about 150# so maybe the factory settings are for stouter folks.
What feels good to you is what is important.
A friend just got a Wee and found out he has lowered links. He wondered why he was dragging bits in the corners. Now he know.
He's been a racer in the vintage class around the country. He otta be dangerous when he gets the suspension figured out!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 5'10 and about #230. So my preloads are almost all the way up. After riding a little more I might soften the rear a little more. I'm about a turn and a half off of the max preload.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The pre-load sets the sag for the fully loaded rider. It isn't about stiffness, it is about putting the bike in about the middle of the suspension travel for proper suspension action and minimizing the chance of topping out or bottoming out. If you can't get both unladen and laden set within limits, you need a different spring that properly suits your riding weight. Here's how it is done:
Suspension Adjustment

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pre-load sets the sag for the fully loaded rider. It isn't about stiffness, it is about putting the bike in about the middle of the suspension travel for proper suspension action and minimizing the chance of topping out or bottoming out. If you can't get both unladen and laden set within limits, you need a different spring that properly suits your riding weight. Here's how it is done:
Suspension Adjustment
Thanks for the link! I'll have to look into measuring it to get the proper adjustment on my preload. Since my normal day to day riding include about a 20 pound trunk would it be wise to include that while taking measurements for this?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Measure for sag the way you ride the bike. You may want to measure with and without the box to be able to change the sag settings but most people don't bother. A passenger or a heavy load should be checked and the adjustment changed to match though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts