StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got ready to pull out of my yard to let my wife get on from the curb (she is short and has had a knee replacement) when I dumped my baby. As I dropped off the curb, it jerked the bars out of my hands. The SW Motec crash guards saved the plastic, the factory bags got scuffed on the bottom and the hand guards got scuffed. Not major but it turned my stomach. I guess I got that first scratch out of the way in a big way. Bummer. :headbang:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Must be in the air!

I was on my slightly inclined dariveway this morning and not being used to inclines in So. Louisiana, I tetched it alittle too much while getting off and pushed the kickstand forward. It was a very controlled drop, but still - a drop!:jawdrop: That wee is heavy too! I got it up quickly enough - the handlebar knob and the Happy trails hiway peg bit concrete - no mars on my crashbars. I took a monkey wrench to the bar end that was slightly bent, brushed off the concrete. No harm no foul.
This emphasized the hazards of parking/ stopping on an incline:var_20: which I and my fellow flatland buddies are planning to tour the Ozarks in May- I will have a safety moment to remind the guys - it ain't flat up here no! Thanks-

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am somewhat ashamed to say that I have tipped mine over twice in the garage. First time a couple of days after I bought it & it just got away from me and by the time I caught it it was too much to hold. Broke a front turn signal & a couple of small scratched. The second time I was puting it up on a rear wheel stand & it only tipped over 1/2 way but it was into my air compressor & it broke the windshield & windshield bracket. That was $200. As long as I never put it down while I am riding it I will be glad.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Whats with the sudden increase in "dropped my bike" threads?
Must be noobie season...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I got ready to pull out of my yard to let my wife get on from the curb (she is short and has had a knee replacement) when I dumped my baby. As I dropped off the curb, it jerked the bars out of my hands. The SW Motec crash guards saved the plastic, the factory bags got scuffed on the bottom and the hand guards got scuffed. Not major but it turned my stomach. I guess I got that first scratch out of the way in a big way. Bummer. :headbang:
If I understand the order of events correctly, your wife hadn't gotten off the bike yet, then?

If not, and the thread is about possible damage to your bike without mentioning what happend to your wife (yet), then I completely understand. Been married a long time, myself. :thumbup:

D'OH! Just re-read and it was to let your wife get on, not off. Rats, there goes the funny part!

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I started out, I found that the kickstand wasn't always locked out properly when I kicked it out. After having bike fall once and catching it two other times, I always kick the stand out and drag it back a couple inchs on whatever I'm parking it on to ensure it's locked properly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've dropped mine too, caught it more than once but somebody at work let their bike fall over and scarred up the front fender for me the other day. Glad you didn't get hurt in your spill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dropped mine in the dirt, (so no real damage) not long after I got it. I ordered crash bars when I got home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one. The first time jumping on to go to work in driveway, leaned forward to throw leg over and pushed it of the stand and slow motion fall, no damage.:hurray: Picked her up myself, but over did it and threw her over the other way, damage, indicator, few scratches.:yikes: That was 6mth ago and 2 more drops, am now fitting lowering links.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I started out, I found that the kickstand wasn't always locked out properly when I kicked it out. After having bike fall once and catching it two other times, I always kick the stand out and drag it back a couple inchs on whatever I'm parking it on to ensure it's locked properly.
Ditto here. I started a habit of always giving the side stand an extra tap with my heel after it snaps down. Sort of an encore to my obsessive turn signal cancelling.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've dropped mine twice also! Once in a major mud puddle, and the second time in the middle of a stream. Had to change her name to "Turtle" 'cause she loves to wallow in the mud and water. Still rides great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts