StromTrooper banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, as a matter of fact, both times I tipped the ST my wife was there to assist. Once she was a passenger the other time a "spectator". Haven't experienced actually tipping my Wing yet (other than the intentional assisted lay over to change the rear tire) but have had to assist a riding buddy that has had his over many times, so somewhat experienced in raising that beast.
Haven't tipped the V-Strom yet, but it's a lightweight in comparison to the others in the shed.
The Harley in the video would be a lot less strenuous than most that I've owned.
The only time I’ve seen a passenger hurt on a motorcycle was when a guy dropped his bike in a parking lot with his wife sitting on the back. Bike landed on her right leg, breaking it.

·
Premium Member
2020 V-Strom 650XT Adventure
37 Posts
The vstrom is my second bike I’ve got. The other bike is the 21’ tw200. If you’re tossing around the idea of a smaller bike, I can’t say enough about the versatility and fun factor of the little tractor. It’s so light and easy to whip around and goes pretty much anywhere. Hell, my brother and I just got back from a motocamping trip on the tdubs. Thats a bike I’ll never sell.
I've got a 2020 wee, but I used a tw200 in my msf class and I fell in love with that bike! After doing the touring portion of my rides I wish I could magically turn my Wee into the little T-Rex for the off-road stuff LOL.

·
Premium Member
2020 V-Strom 650XT Adventure
37 Posts
I've been riding for close to 20 years. I've taken the advanced MSF class, and once owned the Motorman "Ride Like A Pro" DVD, but I realize that I don't practice slow speed maneuvers nearly enough, and have become sloppy.

I recently bought the new $20 download version of the RLAP video, watched it, and went out to a parking lot to try it out -- and was shocked at how bad I was. I needed 30 feet for a U-turn, which is a bit embarrassing. I went home, read and watched some more, corrected my technique, and tried again. I improved pretty quickly to about 24 feet, which is decent (though not motor-officer good). Definitely need more work. My target is 18 feet (which is motor-officer good).

Helmet tip to you for recognizing the need and doing it! We do need to know what we don't know, and to practice these skills actively.
I ain't saying I'm good at slow speed maneuvers on my 2020 wee, but Motojitsu on YouTube has really helped me out with it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Last week I was so tired when I got home from work that I forgot to check that the stand on my DL1000 was "locked out" when I pulled into the garage and leaned to the left. Next thing I knew I was lying across the seat of my H-D FXR Police Special with the V-Strom in my lap. The bikes were locked together with handlebars and mirrors and whatever all tangled up. (I'm just thankful that H-D kickstands are as tough as they are; the FXRP moved a little but did not fall over.) I managed to climb out of the mess and got my husband to help me. It took both of us to wrestle the V-Strom back up. There wasn't room between the two bikes to try that squatting technique. I am now working hard on really deep squats at the gym.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
888 Posts
Last week I was so tired when I got home from work that I forgot to check that the stand on my DL1000 was "locked out" when I pulled into the garage and leaned to the left. Next thing I knew I was lying across the seat of my H-D FXR Police Special with the V-Strom in my lap. The bikes were locked together with handlebars and mirrors and whatever all tangled up. (I'm just thankful that H-D kickstands are as tough as they are; the FXRP moved a little but did not fall over.) I managed to climb out of the mess and got my husband to help me. It took both of us to wrestle the V-Strom back up. There wasn't room between the two bikes to try that squatting technique. I am now working hard on really deep squats at the gym.
What a mess.

Could have maybe used a cherry picker to pick one up while you tugged and pulled and sorted them out.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Been there and done that, sister. Humbles you real quick. :(

In fact, that was my first move after mounting the Touratech panniers on my '08 Wee. I never even made it out of the driveway with the new bags before I got off the bike without checking the kickstand. :mad:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts