StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was practicing some slow speed stuff at home on my 2014 650. I have had about 2k trouble free miles on my bike since I got it. I tried a descending u-turn and the bike went too far and it landed on the Givi crash bars and barkbusters. It hit the crash bars first and then the left front edge of the bark busters. The plastic is scrapped on the barkbusters no more than they already were and they look square and the crash bars have a rash that I'll touch up with some black paint. I fired it up and rode it the 100 yards back into the garage. I can't seem to find any damage anywhere. I assume my gear did it's job. I hopped off as soon as the crash bar touched but before the barkbuster hit and scrapped my elbow but all good.

Anything I should look for here? Givi bars and the barkbusters did an amazing job. I couldn't see any other contact points but I also was worried about getting it out of my neighborhood street. I looked it over real good in the garage and the only marks were the crash bars and the barkbusters.

·
Registered
16,018 Posts
At least you are able to pick the bugger up. I need to practice the low speed stuff. My talents as I grow older are diminished. The bike get heavier too. So good on you for trying. The daughter asked about my selling one of my bikes for her son. I may pick up a CSC 250 or the like to have a lighter bike to use as cannon fodder of dumping on the ground as i try to become more proficient. The old, use it or loose it!

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I guess it is good you are practicing in a safe place with a light bike. Might want to take a few msf advanced classes. They can teach you to do low speed manuvers on pretty much any sized bikes, up to a full dress cruiser.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had my worst slow motion fall off yesterday too. I went to visit a friend who lives about 30 minutes ride out in the boondocks from where I live. A couple k's of gravel road until getting to his little side road. No problem on the gravel but on his road/driveway there was a bit of mud between the tire tracks. I was going ever so slow but got into the mud on a curve and I gave her a little throttle...down I went. Punched a hole in my left side pannier, bent my shift linkage and a small rip in the sleeve of my new jacket. It was a great lesson...and yes, I have wrong tires for mud.

You should take lessons and also practice slow speed maneuvers a lot. Sometimes shit happens so it helps to be mentally prepared for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
At least you are able to pick the bugger up. I need to practice the low speed stuff. My talents as I grow older are diminished. The bike get heavier too. So good on you for trying. The daughter asked about my selling one of my bikes for her son. I may pick up a CSC 250 or the like to have a lighter bike to use as cannon fodder of dumping on the ground as i try to become more proficient. The old, use it or loose it!
The vstrom is my second bike I’ve got. The other bike is the 21’ tw200. If you’re tossing around the idea of a smaller bike, I can’t say enough about the versatility and fun factor of the little tractor. It’s so light and easy to whip around and goes pretty much anywhere. Hell, my brother and I just got back from a motocamping trip on the tdubs. Thats a bike I’ll never sell.

·
Registered
2012 VStrom 650, 2010 Wr250R, 2007 Drz400S
15 Posts
I've dumped mine and same, bars and bark busters kept everything else perfect. Mine are always slow set downs too. My hard bags help some too I'm sure with the righting it afterwards (doesn't let the bike lay flat). Safe riding!

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
323 Posts
It's easy to do but at least it's easier to pick up than any of my other previous (or current) bikes. The ST1300 or GoldWing require help to get upright.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If it landed on the right, then these bikes are known to allow a little oil to make its way into the airbox via the crankcase breather hose. If you picked it up basically immediately it's probably not going to be an issue, but you might want to check your oil level (sight glass). If you suspect oil is missing, might want to check the airbox - this requires removal of the tank so it's a bit more involved.

Any other fluids (brakes, coolant) should all be in a completely sealed system so there should be nothing missing, but it can't hurt to check their levels too.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
It's easy to do but at least it's easier to pick up than any of my other previous (or current) bikes. The ST1300 or GoldWing require help to get upright.
Maybe you should have gotten a woman to pick it up your bikes for you! :D

Reactions: oldjeep

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

And listen to her "talking for 5 min" with bike leaking oil and gas :oops: :rolleyes:😫

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've dropped mine a few times. Make sure your fork is still in alignment, when you're going straight your handlebars should be even, if they're skewed right or left you'll want to un-tweak the fork. Search youtube for motorcyle fork align.

Since you were going slow, you're probably fine.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
323 Posts

Well, as a matter of fact, both times I tipped the ST my wife was there to assist. Once she was a passenger the other time a "spectator". Haven't experienced actually tipping my Wing yet (other than the intentional assisted lay over to change the rear tire) but have had to assist a riding buddy that has had his over many times, so somewhat experienced in raising that beast.
Haven't tipped the V-Strom yet, but it's a lightweight in comparison to the others in the shed.
The Harley in the video would be a lot less strenuous than most that I've owned.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
The Harley in the video would be a lot less strenuous than most that I've owned.
Just having some fun with you... No offense K?

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
888 Posts
I'm not superstitious at all, but since I built that strap jack, I haven't dropped the 650.

I gently laid it down to try the jack, which worked a treat.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I've been riding for close to 20 years. I've taken the advanced MSF class, and once owned the Motorman "Ride Like A Pro" DVD, but I realize that I don't practice slow speed maneuvers nearly enough, and have become sloppy.

I recently bought the new $20 download version of the RLAP video, watched it, and went out to a parking lot to try it out -- and was shocked at how bad I was. I needed 30 feet for a U-turn, which is a bit embarrassing. I went home, read and watched some more, corrected my technique, and tried again. I improved pretty quickly to about 24 feet, which is decent (though not motor-officer good). Definitely need more work. My target is 18 feet (which is motor-officer good).

Helmet tip to you for recognizing the need and doing it! We do need to know what we don't know, and to practice these skills actively.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts