StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to change the starter in my truck...

I've learned to watch some YouTube videos before working on most anything. Kind of weird really that people take the time and effort to make vids on obscure stuff. I'm thankful though.

Anyway I'm under the truck trying to find a path to loosen bolts and get the starter out. Not easy. Found out a bolt was kind of boogered up too.

After a trip to Harbor Frieght for more socket extensions (to make the install easier hah) and the hardware store got the starter back in, truck back together. Life is good.

Reminded me once again why I don't like working on 4 wheel vehicles. There's no room to fix stuff anymore. I enjoy working on motorcycles you can actually see the bolts and everything! Yea it's tedious at times taking the plastic bits off but it's much easier in comparison, well at least to me.

Anyone feel the same?

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I'm with Spec. I dread it any time I have to do anything to a car. It maybe wasn't as bad back in the days when I drove a '70 Mercury Montego and you could practically stand in the engine compartment to work on the engine, but even changing the serpentine belt in my Camry is a pain in the ass.

As far as having to remove stuff, I recall having to take a ton of junk out of the engine area on my Toyota just to change the master cylinder.

·
Registered
388 Posts
$90.00 replacement turbo oil supply line on a Mini Cooper S.
$1,800 for the labor. Remove the entire front end, drop the subframe and exhaust and on and on.
I am enough of a masochist to figure out another way to do this and cheat the bastards out of cheating me.
Yes, took 3 days and my arms will be scarred for life.
But they didn't get me.
I had two screws left over.
I know where they go.
I am just not going to go back in there.

And I agree that cars now are not built to be repaired by mortals.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Never liked it that much and still don't, but some repairs are crazy expensive. Plus, they "find things." So recently, I've done some stuff thought was over my head and saved big. I still don't like it though.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Same here, Rich, and I don't feel for a second like I've turned in my man card when I drop the Camry off at the garage to change the oil. I recently replaced all the rotors and pads and flushed the brake system on my car: hour job on a bike, half the freaking day on a car.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I have done a lot of car repairs as a hobby for a while, but usually farm out the oil changes for some reason. Always have a hobby car in the planning stages. I am less enthusiastic about cars these days since getting back into bikes. Currently waiting to be rebuilt is a 1971 BMW 3.0cs. I am way behind getting this car done, but it doesn't need all that much (Zero body or cosmetics fortunately). Going forward I think I'll look more at cars as appliances. I hate working on those.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Changing oil, brake pads, fluids is about all I'll do. Did the starter on my Nissan Frontier last winter and it was no fun. Now, it's getting the dreaded P0328 error, knock sensor. To do it right, the top of the motor comes off, distributor, intake manifold, etc, etc hours of disassembly and putting back. Still wrestling with doing it, having it done, or bypassing it.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I did enjoy - almost - working on the MCs relative to my Jeeps. But I do some stuff on the Jeep either to save $ or get it done right. Last item was adding a front tow hitch. Prior to that was a full lift kit - assembling the front struts with over-long springs was no fun.

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
i recently spent $3000+ for some service on my 4 Runner. Now it steers like crap and they blame it on the tires.The parts to correct the service lights didn't correct the problem. This is a respected station too. I'd be better off not going and just driving it into the ground. I don't do much on the bike and it's gone over 100 K with minimal service.
Buy cheap and drive/ride it to death unless you like diddling with nonsense.
If you find a good mechanic, pay them well and be happy.

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
I do all maintenance where possible. Some jobs can be an absolute pig to do, e.g., replacing the PCV hoses behind the BMW M62 V8 in my Range Rover. That took me about 12 hours and I'm lucky in that I could use a local Land Rover mechanic's vehicle hoist.
Fitting a new alternator was a bit of a job, too. The alternator is water-cooled and fits inside the front of the engine and getting access was a pain.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Changing oil, brake pads, fluids is about all I'll do. Did the starter on my Nissan Frontier last winter and it was no fun. Now, it's getting the dreaded P0328 error, knock sensor. To do it right, the top of the motor comes off, distributor, intake manifold, etc, etc hours of disassembly and putting back. Still wrestling with doing it, having it done, or bypassing it.
Heads up, as often as not the knock sensor failure is actually the knock sensor harness, not the sensor(s) at all. Problem is there's the same work involved to change the harness so may as well do both. This is especially true if you find oil or coolant in the valley. It cooks and chemically screws up the harness and wire sheathing.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I hate working on cars/trucks. So I don’t. :)
Haven’t even changed my own oil in 15 years or so.
Yea funny that. Before I got married I got my oil changed at the local Speedy Lube type place.

Well my wife (coming from a do it yourself type family) thought better of that when she found out I could do it for less than half the cost.

Almost 30 years later and I'm still changing the oil. Some battles aren't worth fighting!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I only ever change the oil in collector cars, or cars that have a non standard engine. The daily drivers all go to the instant oil change place - no time or money saved diy. But I do all the non warranty work on all our cars and trucks. Costs too much to pay people to do stuff I can do myself.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Yea funny that. Before I got married I got my oil changed at the local Speedy Lube type place.

Well my wife (coming from a do it yourself type family) thought better of that when she found out I could do it for less than half the cost.

Almost 30 years later and I'm still changing the oil. Some battles aren't worth fighting!
And a wise man knows which ones they are. :)

·
Vendor
5,094 Posts
I do everything I can on my own vehicles, but with the cars and trucks it is not because I "like" to do it. It's because I can. And if I can I would rather do it myself.

The last cars I liked working on were my Triumph Spitfire and GT6. This is a stock photo, but it shows why I liked working on these cars. Easy access to everything.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I do everything I can on my own vehicles, but with the cars and trucks it is not because I "like" to do it. It's because I can. And if I can I would rather do it myself.

The last cars I liked working on were my Triumph Spitfire and GT6. This is a stock photo, but it shows why I liked working on these cars. Easy access to everything.

Easy access but unless you are 3 feet tall, a pain to work on ;) I built a 1970 spitfire for my wife many years ago and my back just aches thinking about working on that little thing again.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,274 Posts
I work on my own vehicles, unless there is a factory warranty to cover it, for the same reason I do the work on my bikes.

I know what is done and how well it is done. Saving money is part of it, but less than the hassle of dealing with arranging for the work, being told it will cost twice what I was told, and finding stuff broken or missing or half-assed when I get home......

Just like on bikes, having good tools and equipment make working on cars easier. While some older cars were easier to get to certain things, they also needed a LOT more work done. I have a newer Jeep Wrangler now, kind of the best of both worlds. I can get to everything easily and it so far hasn't needed anything!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
The shop I used to frequent stripped my aluminum oil pan and said, "it happens." Meaning, we didn't do it, but the threads eventually just give out.

I didn't buy it; they probably use air ratchets. So cheap oil changes at places like Jiffy Lube can cost more in the long run. Remember those exposure videos of the quick lube shops?

I changed the oil pan myself and installed a Fumoto valve. Best thing ever. Replaced drain plug.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts