StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was getting my insurance changed to my new bike and the Dairyland Insurance broker told me that I now have $50,000 worth of medical insurance coverage with my policy. I told him that I already have full heath insurance and did not need the additional cost. He told me that they are now automatically giving it with all their policies. He said that when you compare their insurance prices to other bike insurance brokers the price difference is VERY little.
This might be something you might find worth looking into.
All I can say is that when I hit a deer with my bike and had one fall over and go..splat...they were excellent to deal with and did not "nickel and dime" me to death.
I do not have anyother insurance with them...just bike insurance.
Again...I do NOT have anything to do with this company other than have them cover my three bikes.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
This might be a great option for people who aren't covered at work. I know one Stromtroop who really could have used this policy a couple months ago.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree...

I guess since a lot of people do not have health insurance Dairyland decided to include it in their policy. Very cheap insurance rates including this coverage.

·
Registered
302 Posts
to bad they increased my rate 3 years in a row. i swapped to nationwide and added a second bike. both with full coverage it its still cheaper than what they were charging me for one bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It pays to shop...

It pays to shop. One just has to make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had some month to month insurance with Daryland thru the dealer when I got a new XL 250 in 78, they charged me $50/month, outragous at the time. Swore I would never buy from them again. Maybe they are different now but they took advantage of me back then. Later I got insurance from State Farm for < $100/yr.

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
I have been using them for about 5 years, have 2 bikes with them and am very pleased.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Dairyland rep I just spoke to said that in New York it's mandatory to have 50k personal injury.

He said in Az, where I am, the most they give is 5k, and it's not cheap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
to bad they increased my rate 3 years in a row. i swapped to nationwide and added a second bike. both with full coverage it its still cheaper than what they were charging me for one bike.
I went with Dairyland based on a suggestion from my Farm Bureau agent some years back, plus the rate was good then, and then they upped me for no reason (on my part) & I shopped until I got a great rate from American Modern which did the same thing, so now get Progressive. It came from an agent not the toll free # which was much higher. I pay far less now than I did 10 years ago. Pays to shop around. You'll have one company that wont even sell to a certain county then later you buy the same policy from someone else,and so on. Don't bother to ask me if I like insurance companies:headbang::headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am an insurance agent. It's difficult to compare insurance companies on a forum so geographically diverse. As one poster has already mentioned things change state to state.

Premiums, mandatory coverages, and minimum amounts vary wildly.....not only company to company, but state to state, by rider age, driving record, and credit score. Heck, premiums in the same company can be significantly different by zip codes within the same state. Two buddies can have the identical bikes, identical driving records, in the same state....and pay different premiums because they live in different zip codes. It's virtually irrational.

As a agent, the best advice I can give is to shop around.....if you have an agent handling your home and autos, talk to them first, you may get a nice little discount on a bundle. But take an hour, call several agents, go online and get some quotes.

And I'd always go with a top shelf company, not some unheard outfit like "Big Jimmy's Insurance Company".

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree...

The important thing is to make "sure" your are comparing an apple with an apple. You do NOT want to find out..when it is too late...that the fifteen dollars you saved ended up costing you ten grand!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The important thing is to make "sure" your are comparing an apple with an apple. You do NOT want to find out..when it is too late...that the fifteen dollars you saved ended up costing you ten grand!
So true.....everyone's insurance is fine 'till they have a claim, that's when you find out what you've been paying for ....

·
Registered
280 Posts
So, I have five m/c insured thru Dairyland. I've never filed a claim so I have no idea if they're one of those companies that your sorry you have *AFTER* a claim is filed.
I generally understand my coverage and amounts, but is there language in their contract that would dissapoint me in the event of a claim?
Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
+1 on XR1200 comments.

I have been in the Property/Casualty Insurance business for 42 years. As an Underwriter, Claims Adjuster, agent and reinsurer.

Go with a good company with a good rating. If you aren't familiar with them ... look them up, call your agent, go online using Best's or even visit the Library if necessary and research the Company. You will get ratings, strength, claims handling information etc.,

Forewarned is forearmed. One last comment on this. If your riding a rebuilt or salvage title make sure you inform your agent. Failure to do so can gum up any insurance settlement and even result in denial of claim. Selective Concealment rarely results in a good claims settlement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So, I have five m/c insured thru Dairyland. I've never filed a claim so I have no idea if they're one of those companies that your sorry you have *AFTER* a claim is filed.
I generally understand my coverage and amounts, but is there language in their contract that would dissapoint me in the event of a claim?
Dave
I think Dairyland has a good reputation and, believe it or not, having multiple policies can work in your favor, especially if a "discretionary" call needs to be made. Agents, underwriters, and adjusters make lots of decisions on your policy and claims. Just like an umpire calling a bang-bang play at first base, if you have multiple policies in force you have a better chance of the call going your way.

You're prolly in good shape.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yesterday I was getting my insurance changed to my new bike and the Dairyland Insurance broker told me that I now have $50,000 worth of medical insurance coverage with my policy.
interesting, I bought a Dairyland policy a few weeks ago and purchased 5,000 in medical.
Are we talking apples to apples here?

if so i need to make a phone call

·
Registered
94 Posts
What were talking is ALL bad apples. I'll be honest, I love to hate on insurance companies. I can tell some long stories that all make them look really bad! I had 3 teen sons all within 3yrs of age diff. & good drivers plus my wife & I have good records,etc. but the horror stories are many.
I once joined a teachers union 20+ yrs ago & got a mailout saying what great rates. They quoted me $2,600 for one car in the 1980's when I was paying like 2-300 per yr.-some discount huh...
They all say they love you on TV but when it comes to the line in the sand its all about their profitability,period. Dairyland raised me a bunch with my driving record unchanged & zero claims, same for American Modern. I've heard it said that a company will get too many claims or a bad experience in a certain county and raise rates. My county is so small we don't even have one red light, so the odds of that happening are practically nil, especially with the many companies I've had over the years. I went to State Farm in 1980 seeking 1st time insurance on the self constructed home I was building-turned me down , said I would burn it too escape the 17-18% interest rates of that time(wonder how many would go under no days with rates like that?), then a few weeks later called to say they had decided they wanted my business.
Had a rear end caused by other guy in 1980's,my agent(is that an anomaly?) wrote me a letter accusing me of waiting for parts/labor to go up as I waited for a tailight to come from Germany!
Had an accident(no fault) in 1960's & MY company?(there you go again thinking they care about you) raised the deductible -AFTER- the car was ready & time to pay the shop -said it was a higher risk car that they 1st thought-wow, I go to state ins commission (& the guy thats the inspector was an adjuster for that company previously) & told go to court over the $250-a lot on money in 1966 but not enough to go to court, so bite the bullet again. I can tell the stories for far longer than I want to mtype them & yes, I don't like insurance companies. The stories untold are even better,take my word. My DIL was in an accident in HA(riding in back seat) and it was the other parties fault-she had to sue her company to get her very real hospital bills paid-love the way they advertise how your in good hands & all that crap...
Shop around is the best advise you can get-as to fly by night companies, I've never been insured by one-it's all the rest of them that I ranting ABOUT!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::thumbdown::thumbdown::fineprint:Whew!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dairyland Insurance in two states

Thought i'd post my experience with Dairyland Insurance Company as I just got off the phone with them. I have a 2011 V-Strom in NY and 2003 HD Softail i'm planning on sending to my Florida vacation home. Insurance is different for every state but similar. I'm told by the Dairyland agent, if the bike will be parked in Fl for more than 6 months it needs to have a florida policy. (they've told me this before as well).

Both policies i'm looking for will have full coverage on the bikes including theft. Differences are minor such as NY has $3,000 for accessories, while FL allows for $5,000. For comparable coverage between the two, the rate in NY is just shy of 2x the rate in Florida. When i add a second bike in NY, a 1985 Kawasaki LTD 700 (lawn ornament), the policy drops by just over $100 because of the two bike discount. When I add the same second bike to the Florida policy it goes up by $40. In both cases I did not ask for full coverage for the '85 LTD, just barebone coverage.

The bikes themselves are not exactly apples to apples, the Kelly blue book online for the '11 wee is $6,535 and the '03 softail is $8,440. But the illustration further demonstrates the differences of policies from state to state.

Ironically the total cost now to insure all 3 bikes is only $24.21 more than what my current cost is.

What I did learn that was interesting from the Dairyland rep were the reasons they give discounts. If you own the home that your bike is parked in, that's 20% off the policy, if you belong to certain motorcycle groups such as the harley owners group, that's 10% off the policy, rider safety course is 2% and an accident prevention course is 10%. They cap discounts at 30% max. I was told the list of motorcycle groups that they participate with for the discount is not published on their website so you need to call them to see if yours qualifies.

All in all, i've found Dairyland to be very good and exceptionally helpful when i've called. I've been with them for years. If they don't know the answer to a question they will find out and call you back. Previously I had Allstate and they were a nightmare. I left them because the costs were skyrocketting. When I switched to Dairyland my costs were cut in half.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
two accidents...

When I hit a deer, with my klr, and fell over on my BMW GT they were excellent. I had some additional problems when I took the bike apart to fix it...gave them a call...and they sent out a check for the additional parts. They paid me shop rate to fix my KLR.
The BMW was fixed in a BMW shop...while I laid in bed with a broken leg. It was not one of my finest hours!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts