StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It leans over WAY too far! It has an aftermarket center stand on it. The side stand is 11 inches long from the bolt to the flange. I took a look under there and it looks like there might be some kind of spacer or something that makes the stand angle out when stowed to clear the center stand:

How dies this compare to you guy's set up?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I think the sidestand is calibrated to the marshmallow-soft stock suspension -- it sags through half its travel under the bike's weight, and the angle comes out about right.

I've upgraded the suspension on my Vee, so there's very little sag at rest, plus I'm using raising links. The kickstand angle became downright dangerous.

So I bolted a hockey puck to the kickstand foot. Solves the height problem, plus gives it more surface area for soft surfaces.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Where can us non-mericans acquire this upmarket farkle called a hockey puck ?

·
Registered
22,321 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
My hockey puck was made in the Czech Republic. $1.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods. :hurray:

I made the mistake of mentioning my "Czechoslovakian" hockey puck in the presence of a person who, I found out, was a real live Czech. An angry lecture ensued in which I learned that there's no such thing as "Czechoslovakia" any more -- it's "The Czech Republic" nowadays.

The more you know... the less you piss people off. :fineprint:

I guess I need to post a photo, but there's not much to see. In the meantime:

1) Form an image of a hockey puck in your mind.

2) Got it? Now imagine this imaginary hockey puck under your Vee's kickstand.

3) Now add a mental bolt holding them together. I used a 6mm stainless steel socket head bolt, since I have tons of these around.

4) I also added a 5mm bolt off to the side to keep the puck from rotating (it's very close to the exhaust in riding position, so positioning is important). On the back side of the puck, I drilled countersunk holes for washers and self-locking nuts. Hard rubber is pretty easy to drill.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't buy a BMW then! The big bikes (like the GS) lean wayyyyyyy over on the sidestand. If anything sometimes I think the Wee doesn't lean far enough (trying to park on slightly uneven ground, for example).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read about the hockey puck trick elsewhere but I don't think that it will clear the center-stand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought this was going to be a tread about bike handling... oh dear, another side stand thread. Seriously though, if you don't like your side stand, you can always leave it on its side. It's much safer that way, anyway.:green_lol:

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
My hockey puck was made in the Czech Republic. $1.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods. :hurray:

I made the mistake of mentioning my "Czechoslovakian" hockey puck in the presence of a person who, I found out, was a real live Czech. An angry lecture ensued in which I learned that there's no such thing as "Czechoslovakia" any more -- it's "The Czech Republic" nowadays.

I have Czechnian hockey puck

I'd like to get a Slovenian exaust :beatnik:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
333 Posts

The more you know... the less you piss people off. :fineprint:
I buy 10-15 hockey pucks every fall. The last batch said "Made in Slovakia"

Before you drill the pucks, take a page from the NHL rule book and put the puck(s) in the freezer for 3-4 hours before use.

I often thought of using a puck for a sidestand foot, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. The faces of the puck are quite smooth (at least for a while) and the surface area is fairly large, but un-yielding, so ends up with less contact area on uneven ground.
Also it seemed that 6 oz of additional weight hanging off the end of the sidestand might not be the best thing off-pavement for me, considering
the stand bounces on occasion and trips the little safety switch causing the bike to momentarily shut off off road.

Chris in Boston- home of the 2010-11 Stanley Cup Champion Bruins

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think the sidestand is calibrated to the marshmallow-soft stock suspension -- it sags through half its travel under the bike's weight, and the angle comes out about right.

I've upgraded the suspension on my Vee, so there's very little sag at rest, plus I'm using raising links. The kickstand angle became downright dangerous.

So I bolted a hockey puck to the kickstand foot. Solves the height problem, plus gives it more surface area for soft surfaces.

I would think the added weight would cause the kickstand to drop down when hitting bumps especially with the stiffer suspension you have, which could kill the bike if you are in gear...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Pucks

I like the puck idea so much I tried it using three self tapping screws. It got ripped off the bike in the woods. It did seem to bounce the kickstand more. I'm going to try it again soon. But I'll do it a little different next time. I think the best way to go about it is to use nut and bolts instead of self tapping screws. I do have concerns about the weight of the puck. So my potential solutions are a helper spring for the kickstand (maybe out of a drum brake spring kit of some sort), and you could always cut the puck in half. The thickness way, not half circle. I had cut a puck that way last time I tried it, but can't seem to find the other half I didn't lose in the woods. So I guess I'll just cut another one since I have some laying around. I also like the idea about freezing it first. I hope that keeps the amount of smoke down.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
weight of sidestand foot

Also it seemed that 6 oz of additional weight hanging off the end of the sidestand might not be the best thing off-pavement for me, considering
the stand bounces on occasion and trips the little safety switch causing the bike to momentarily shut off off road.
Today I was noticing my sidestand not returning to the stowed position as securely as I would have liked (its was trying to sag), so I removed the aftermarket foot this evening.

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
My 650 does the same thing. I carry a block of 2X4 with a landyard in the tank bag for when I'm all loaded up for camping and use the center stand most of the rest of the time. At Least the center stand deploys easily!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Don't buy a BMW then! The big bikes (like the GS) lean wayyyyyyy over on the sidestand. If anything sometimes I think the Wee doesn't lean far enough (trying to park on slightly uneven ground, for example).
This. All the GS's lean way too far for my taste.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm from Texas...what's a hockey puck and what do you marinate it with to tenderize for best eating?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
large lean

large lean = more securely at rest, especially in high winds or on an adverse cross slope

·
Registered
313 Posts
I looked at the hockey pucks last summer when the stand kept sinking, the lean didn't bother me so much that I wanted to add an inch to the stand.. so I just cut the corners off and rounded off with the grinder a 3"x3"x1/2" steel square (a free one) into a pretty much round 3" disk and welded that to the foot of the stand. It then got a shot of black rustoleum. It doesn't bounce that I've noticed, even though it's most likely more than 6 ounces... maybe because it's attached in a manner that the stand can go all the way up. Not too worried about it coming off either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts