StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some plastidip sitting around so I'd thought I'd see how I like white sidecases. End result is pretty damn nice. Not sure if I'll keep it but it's a nice bit of added protection on the cases. This is about 8 coats white, 2 coats glossifier. Mimics the Pearl paint well.

PS. I tried flexidip for the first time... That stuff is garbage. Ended up finishing the job with plastidip.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that I've mounted both cases and checked out the front and rear profiles I definitely plan to keep it. It ads a nice finished look. I'll snap a couple more pics tomorrow..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow! That looks great! Great finishing touch! White bikes are my fave. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put plasti dip on my top case. Lasted about a month before it started flaking off.
Should last way longer than that if you sprayed thick enough. Also good to apply spray wax every couple weeks. I did my entire VFR1200 in dip and lasted 2 years. Only took it off to sell.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
it looks very good. bike looks more finished plus I think there is a safety factor as well since it's more visible on the road then black.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
That looks great, you did an excellent job.

How must did it cost to do the two boxes with all the coats on it?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks great, you did an excellent job.

How must did it cost to do the two boxes with all the coats on it?
Thanks guys,

I used just over a can for the white (maybe 1.25 cans). And very little glossifier... All told $25-$30. I usually have some of this stuff kicking around for fun.

Reactions: Bugzy

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've thought about using the rubbery stuff on the inside of the stock panniers to make them more water tight.
Always worried about the durability.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Great job, but I as well don't believe they will hold up for long. Now you know you like the white, a good professional paint job may be in your future. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll keep you guys posted on durability but I don't foresee any problems. I have used plastidip many times and as long as it is a surface that isn't subject to a lot of contact it holds up very well. (Ie I would never dip the gas tank)

I wouldn't paint them as I don't know how long I'll be keeping the V but plan to bring the luggage with me to the next bike. Maybe vinyl wrap though... Hmmm

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The key to longevity is in the prep. Must be oil and grease free and then sanded to provide mechanical adhesion.
Yikes! No sanding for plastidip. But yes, isopropyl over everything and a good wipe down. Also keep the dam dogs away cuz their fur clings to the dip.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good job there and I like the Shad cases. I don't care for the matt paint on my 16 DL1000 so I may check out colors of the plasti-dip. Make it a better color and then I can peel it back to stock when it's time to sell. Inspired by your work. Thanks

Reactions: symbiotix
1 - 17 of 17 Posts