StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The short version: 2004 WeeStrom, 30,000 miles. I replaced the chain & sprockets with OEM, and now my clutch does not disengage. She worked great before I took her apart, so I buggered something.

While cleaning the gunk out, I did remove the clutch actuator rod and cleaned it.

I adjusted the clutch as per the manual, and I can see & feel the clutch actuator rod moving in and out. I ran the clutch adjustment center screw in much farther than the manual says, took all play out of the clutch cable, and the clutch will still not disengage. (I'm judging that by trying to turn the rear wheel with the clutch pulled in. It will not turn if in gear. When the engine is running, the rear wheel will not slow if the clutch lever is pulled.)

Are there any little parts in there I might have lost or assembled wrong? It looks OK according to the service manual, but still no worky. Maybe my clutch, which worked great before, magically picked this time to die?

I read thru all the posts I could find, and didn't find anything I have not already tried.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I ran the clutch adjustment center screw in much farther than the manual says...
This statement doesn't make sense to me. The manual says to turn the screw in all the way until it stops, then back out 1/4 turn. How could you turn it in more than all the way?

I would try adjusting it again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I turn the screw, I can feel it contacting the pushrod, but it will turn in until flush with the surface without much effort. No room for the locking nut if the center screw is all the way in.

In a fit of madness, I started her up. The first time I let out the clutch with the engine running, a deep, throaty ----CLUNCK----- came from the gear box. After that, things seemed to work as expected. Out of adjustment, but that was easily fixed. She now seems fine, but is awaiting a test ride.

I can't imagine where the clunk came from.

Also, maybe the manual should say "turn in the screw until contact is made"? Does this screw actually stop on other WeeStroms?

Thanks!

ChuckS

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Until contact is made might be better terminology. If you think about how the mechanism works, stops makes sense too if you aren't using enough force to push the rod against the spring.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey Chuck,

Since you were so kind letting me test ride your '04 Strom before I bought mine, I'd be happy to help you fix this problem. I just had my clutch linkage apart because I did chain and sprockets too....

Let me know if you got it fixed. If not I will help you out.

·
38,049 Posts
Did you adjust the clutch screw and locknut? Did it come apart after you took it off? The usual problems are putting it back in a different position or screwing it in too far. Stop when encountering contact with the push rod. It screw can be turned farther because it will push the rod in. Don't do that. Stop at first contact and back off 1/4 turn so the rod is free even when hot and expanded a bit.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Almost guaranteed that you put the clutch release assembly back together slightly different. Probably 90 degrees turned one way or another. I did exactly the same thing the first time I changed the front sprocket.

..Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you adjust the clutch screw and locknut? Did it come apart after you took it off? The usual problems are putting it back in a different position or screwing it in too far. Stop when encountering contact with the push rod. It screw can be turned farther because it will push the rod in. Don't do that. Stop at first contact and back off 1/4 turn so the rod is free even when hot and expanded a bit.
I've tried all sorts of adjustments on it......turn it ever so slowly until it grabs, and then turn it back 1/4 turn, and lock the nut down..... nothing.

does everyone else's mechanisms look like this?

Attachments

·
38,049 Posts
That looks okay. Did the adjuster ever come apart? Is the clutch always engaged or always disengaged?

·
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine works fine. I can bring it by and we can compare them.
Hi Scott-

I was away this weekend, but I appreciate the response!

I seem to have got it going.......not sure why. The problem was the clutch not disengaging.

I put more grease at both end of the pushrod and it seems to have fixed the problem. I just rode it down the street and back but ill ride it more early this week.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Hi Scott-

I was away this weekend, but I appreciate the response!

I seem to have got it going.......not sure why. The problem was the clutch not disengaging.

I put more grease at both end of the pushrod and it seems to have fixed the problem. I just rode it down the street and back but ill ride it more early this week.
Good enough, glad you got it working. If you have problems and need one to compare to I'm near Harding Place and Nolensville Road.

·
38,049 Posts
It might have been working where you just thought it wasn't. Many people think pulling in the clutch level with the bike on the center stand should disengage the rear wheel. It doesn't. The oil on the plates, especially if it is cold, sticks the plates together enough to spin the wheel. If you are sitting on the bike and start it in neutral, it will clunk when putting it in gear as the plates are separated. Try cranking in gear and the bike will bump forward a bit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It might have been working where you just thought it wasn't. Many people think pulling in the clutch level with the bike on the center stand should disengage the rear wheel. It doesn't. The oil on the plates, especially if it is cold, sticks the plates together enough to spin the wheel. If you are sitting on the bike and start it in neutral, it will clunk when putting it in gear as the plates are separated. Try cranking in gear and the bike will bump forward a bit.
:headbang: ... duh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts