StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 DL1000.

On the way to work this morning as I was merging onto the highway I noticed my left turn signal momentarily flicker then not work at all.....it remained this way for the rest of the journey to work and coming home this evening. Being unable to signal left in the dark is not fun!

Ok so I checked the bulbs - good! Used the left hand bulbs on the right side (which is still working) - they work so def not the bulbs.

Tailight/brake light still work/right hand turn signals still work. So its not the fuse or the left-hand handelbar switch.

Where to check next? This is where I am now...I am assuming there is perhaps a connector somewhere that could be loose? But where? Checked the white connector immeditaely behind the headlight - no difference...the two black connectors on the left hand side of the fairing were not loose...

Any ideas? Unfortunately my manual is 15 miles away at a friends so unable to check wiring diagram. Trying to fix this for the morning commute (in the rain :(

thanks
Andy

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had the same thing happen on a trip earlier this year. They'd flicker but then nothing.
They did come back and I didn't do anything although I haven't riden the bike much this summer after that trip.
If you figure it out and it's an easy fix shoot me an IM.
I'll do the same if it happens again and I get to looking at it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
No definite answer but something of that nature surely has been covered by "sticky" in the maintenance/troubleshooting section, huh?

I re-read your post and you did say you checked the bulbs, (both left ones). I ask because when only one signal does nothing the resulting abnormal circuit resistance causes the other "good" signal to stop blinking.

Thats not the case I assume?

Further, if both don't work it' s should mean the loss of power to bulbs, should it be in wiring, is after the flash relay and before where the hot wire branches out between the 2 sigs. Or possibly the left side hot wire from the switch to the relay.
Oh BTW, just because toggling the right side switch activates them desn't prove toggle left switch is ok.

You have a VOM to help solve it?
dave

dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
Actually, when one of my bulbs burned out last year ($18 for a bulb! Seriously suzuki?) I could tell because the front one flashed very quickly.
Unfortunately, the P.O.'s bike is pre-4way flasher switch, else i'd have suggested trying that. If it works, it would eliminate wiring to the signals as being the culprit.

I'm leaning toward a switch malfunction. Try to unscrew the housing and open it up and see if there is visible corrosion. WD-40 would not be my first choice to spray in there, but you can pick up some electric spray cleaner at the parts store. Give it a shot.

Chris in Boston

·
Registered
281 Posts
Actually, when one of my bulbs burned out last year ($18 for a bulb! Seriously suzuki?) I could tell because the front one flashed very quickly
Oops, right you are. Brain farts are fun.:)

Watch out with that electronic spray cleaner you choose to use. Some are ALL plastics freindly, some say "Safe for most plastics", some disolve all plastics.

Dave

·
Registered
860 Posts
Actually, when one of my bulbs burned out last year ($18 for a bulb! Seriously suzuki?) I could tell because the front one flashed very quickly.
Unfortunately, the P.O.'s bike is pre-4way flasher switch, else i'd have suggested trying that. If it works, it would eliminate wiring to the signals as being the culprit.

I'm leaning toward a switch malfunction. Try to unscrew the housing and open it up and see if there is visible corrosion. WD-40 would not be my first choice to spray in there, but you can pick up some electric spray cleaner at the parts store. Give it a shot.

Chris in Boston
Did you seriously buy the bulb from a dealer?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I opened up the switch tonight and had a look inside...nice and clean no obvious signs of loose wires. However when listening to the "click" sound made by the switch when its pressed right or left there is a difference....so...anyone know whats underneath the metal tab? Is it a ball bearing? How does it make the connection? Could the "left side" part have fallen out or something like that?

How/what can I check with the multimeter??

thanks
Andy

·
Registered
281 Posts
Didn't see an answer as to whether both left sigs don't work or just one.
Just one simplifies the problem. With a known good bulb only things left are bulb socket, the wire connector upstream, or the wires cut somewhere. The first connector is up in the headlight/fairing support bracket, prolly out of sight, figures right?
Both failing to work is more involved so get that book you got and if need be a second set of eyes to decipher it. Get to the relay and check connections. The manual should offer a switch test. Pick some time where you can relax and not be hurried to figure it out. And again, two heads are better ....

dave

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both failing to work is more involved so get that book you got and if need be a second set of eyes to decipher it. Get to the relay and check connections. The manual should offer a switch test. Pick some time where you can relax and not be hurried to figure it out. And again, two heads are better ....

dave
Sorry Dave its both left bulbs are failing to come on (they come on though when placed in the right side bulb holders so bulbs are good).

Lesman - which bearings would I use? Where to get? I looked at the parts fiche but you can only buy the whole switch, not individual parts. I suspect you are correct.

thanks for all the help
Andy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok update on this mornings commute...

Left hand indicator started working again. No idea why or how but it works. Flashes away like normal. However...the horn has stopped working....the horn has done this before and then works again at some later point...looks to me like a switch issue.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Check the connectors on the end of the wiring harness coming from the switch. They connect at the radiator on the top rear of the shroud.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check the connectors on the end of the wiring harness coming from the switch. They connect at the radiator on the top rear of the shroud.
Greywolf wins again! This is what it was. With left turn signal on (but not working) I played with the connector at the radiator and left turn signal lit up. Loose connector it seems. I have just reassembled the bike after taking the fuel tank off (for the first time on my own since I bought it - its been off by others helping me) and cleaning the air filter while I was at it. Off for a test ride now....

...hopefully it still runs ok! ;)

thanks to all who replied and especially to Greywolf for his clear direction (and for providing a link in another thread for "Fuel tank removal" on the VSRI forum)
Andy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts