StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I wanted to paint the Exhaust Shield on my Wee black like some other folks did. I sanded it with 220 Grit and put on a few coates of PJ1 Hi-Temp Flat Black. I decided I'd bake it at 300 for a bit to cure it a liitle better as the paint can recommended 600 Deg. I knew 600 Deg was too much for plastic and the paint is for steel anyway. Well after about 20 minutes at 300 in my oven the damn thing melted in the middle and started to sag. It looks like dog shit now.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and I figure I'd pass it on to others so they don't make the same mistake I did.

Based upon the bubbling on both sides where it melted it appears there is a thin layer of heat resistant film on it. Obviously it's not resistant enough. 300 DEGREES! :x

BTW, any of you folks with and aftermarket exhaust want to part with a heat shield for real cheap?

·
Registered
640 Posts
The problem with using ovens for such work is that they are very inaccurate and they do not heat evenly. For future reference you might want to turn the oven on and let it heat to temperature you want. Check it with a separate oven thermometer. Then turn the oven off before putting in your parts.

This is what I do for annealing brass casings when reloading ammo.

Oh, and 300 degrees might be a little hot for ABS plastic anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
If it is ABS (for what its worth, you've already proved that the oven was too hot)...

ABS Quick Facts:
Maximum Temperature: 176°F 80°C
Minimum Temperature: -4°F -20°C
Autoclavable: No
Melting Point: 221°F 105°C
Tensile Strength: 4,300 psi
Hardness: R110
UV Resistance: Poor
Translucent
Rigid
Specific Gravity: 1.04

ABS Fabrication:
It can be thermo-formed, pressure formed, blow molded, sheared, sawed, drilled, or even "cold stamped".
Joints can be ultrasonic welded, thermo-welded, and chemically bonded.
Impact resistant.
Commonly used for telephone bodies, safety helmets, piping, furniture, car components, TV casings, radios, control panels, and similar.
Valve bodies, material handling equipment

If its not actually ABS then it may be listed here:

http://www.dynalabcorp.com/technical_info_plastic_properties.asp

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I certainly proved something :wink:

I just hope this thread keeps someone else from making the mistake I did.

Carry on fellows Stromtroopers :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I certainly proved something :wink:

I just hope this thread keeps someone else from making the mistake I did.

Carry on fellows Stromtroopers :)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Heavy

Your amazing 8) 8)

Let the kid stick the hair pin in the wall socket it will teach him a better lesson then you telling him not to do it :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Heavy

Your amazing 8) 8)

Let the kid stick the hair pin in the wall socket it will teach him a better lesson then you telling him not to do it :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Involute, your avatar is one ugly looking chick!!! :D

Involute said:
I decided I wanted to paint the Exhaust Shield on my Wee black like some other folks did. I sanded it with 220 Grit and put on a few coates of PJ1 Hi-Temp Flat Black. I decided I'd bake it at 300 for a bit to cure it a liitle better as the paint can recommended 600 Deg. I knew 600 Deg was too much for plastic and the paint is for steel anyway. Well after about 20 minutes at 300 in my oven the damn thing melted in the middle and started to sag. It looks like dog shit now.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and I figure I'd pass it on to others so they don't make the same mistake I did.

Based upon the bubbling on both sides where it melted it appears there is a thin layer of heat resistant film on it. Obviously it's not resistant enough. 300 DEGREES! :x

BTW, any of you folks with and aftermarket exhaust want to part with a heat shield for real cheap?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Involute, your avatar is one ugly looking chick!!! :D

Involute said:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I am considering painting my heat shield as winter project. In my opinion, high-temp paint is unnecessary. I have checked the shield after a ride, and it really does not get hot. Even the mounting bolts don't get hot. I plan on using any quality paint that is made for plastic, such as Krylon Fusion.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I am considering painting my heat shield as winter project. In my opinion, high-temp paint is unnecessary. I have checked the shield after a ride, and it really does not get hot. Even the mounting bolts don't get hot. I plan on using any quality paint that is made for plastic, such as Krylon Fusion.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. :wink:

I think I'm going to repair the damage I did as good as I can and then spray it with that bedliner stuff. If I don't screw it up any worse than I already did I'll try to remember to post a pic of the finished product.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. :wink:

I think I'm going to repair the damage I did as good as I can and then spray it with that bedliner stuff. If I don't screw it up any worse than I already did I'll try to remember to post a pic of the finished product.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Yup, your keys fell behind the bench in the front hall. Oh, and the missing wrenches are 2 doors down, in your neighbour's toolbox. And the sky is blue because.... : )

I'm not really THAT smart. Now Mortaine...there is one smart guy. He won't actually share any of his wisdom but all the knowledge ever wanted or needed is stored away in his cranium. ;P

·
Registered
888 Posts
I remember his Avatar, that's quite some cranium! Thanks for finding my keys!.....now where did I leave those marbles!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts