StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is a dark thought for you guys. We just took a class on "stop the bleed" at work. It is a more advanced first aide course beyond band-aides and aspirin. Since I have been known to slide down the road it got me thinking.

I bought a compact emergency trauma pack. It is light and small (6x6x4) in a Cordura bag and has 2 tourniquets that can be self applied. Pressure bandages with bleed stop. Folding splint. Scissors. Gauze. I added some Vicodin to it and latex gloves.

Feel free to use it on me, it is in my left pannier. I will return the favor if it happens to be you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good call. One of the first things I did when I joined the executive of my local riders club was encourage as many people as possible to get first aid certified. We've yet to need those skills for one of our own members, but a group out for a ride one day witnessed a car crash and was able to assist until the professionals arrived.

Along that same line of thought, I carry a first aid kit in my top case when on group rides, but I'd be interested in seeing the compact kit you bought. Mine is quite bulky. Do you by any chance have a link?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
quikclot guaze or powder is a good addition to the kit.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
I carry a fairly extensive first aid kit. Fortunately I have not had to use it very much but it has come in handy for some relatively minor mishaps.
One addition that I made to mine is an Izzy bandage.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quikclot guaze or powder is a good addition to the kit.
I put quikclot gauze in the kit. Our trainer recommended it over the powder. Since I also shoot firearms quite a bit with friends, I added 2 adhesive chest seals for treating a wound in the chest. I learned several things that surprised me, the main one being tourniquets will not harm the limb they are on for over 12-15 hours. The second thing I learned is tourniquets hurt like hell because we got to apply one to our own arm and shut the pulse off.

Here is the kit for @theayn. It is sold by Everlit (veteran business) and is not a typical first aide kit. I put an extra tourniquet in it and the chest seals and she is about full.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I feel it's highly unlikely you'll ever need a tq for a motorcycle crash and you're FAR more likely to use the SAM splint and add a couple slings instead for the clavicle and/or other bone breaks. You can cut the SAM splint smaller for fingers as well. Perhaps get a few absorbent pressure dressings and a few tampons which would be great for all kinds of issues. Mil medic here.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel it's highly unlikely you'll ever need a tq for a motorcycle crash and you're FAR more likely to use the SAM splint and add a couple slings instead for the clavicle and/or other bone breaks. You can cut the SAM splint smaller for fingers as well. Perhaps get a few absorbent pressure dressings and a few tampons which would be great for all kinds of issues. Mil medic here.

Thanks for the heads up. The tq is small enough that 2 went in. Pressure bandage is included. Keep in mind this kit will be going with me to the farm where I use chain saws and heavy equipment. I also shoot with friends so I put two, adhesive chest seal bandages in it. I like the tampons......any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
A bit of an assortment of pharmaceuticals helps as well.
eg. ASA, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, afterbite, benadryl are basic.
A couple of pair of gloves.

Hard to put a line on where to stop. It depends on where you are traveling, who you are travelling with and your level of expertise.

Know what is in your kit and know how/when to use it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
The emergency thermal blankets have seen the most use with me.
2 crashed cyclists and one girl just found unconscious at the side of the road. I now buy them direct from China in packs of ten ;)

And as a comment: Even if it's a warm climate if shock sets in because of broken bones and you start shivering (both cyclists) then one of those is more use than a pharmacy full of pain killers.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Sure is nice to have in the middle of nowhere when no one is around!

At least I know I'll survive and be OK when riding with you guys. :D

I have a really small Coleman kit for my tank bag.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
673 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I have a list started, but haven't actually put it together. By definition, if you crash you are the first responder too. Plus, shit happens and now you can help the other folks.

Good on you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. The tq is small enough that 2 went in. Pressure bandage is included. Keep in mind this kit will be going with me to the farm where I use chain saws and heavy equipment. I also shoot with friends so I put two, adhesive chest seal bandages in it. I like the tampons......any other thoughts?
Since this goes with you to other activities then you're well set for a BASIC first aid kit, and yes the tq's are good for extremity gsw's. Inevitably these threads always become long lists where you might as well drive an ambulance with what everyone suggests so remember that this is just basic and just enough to keep oneself alive until further treatment, with the exception of small comfort items like what others have mentioned. Also, sticks and duct tape can make a pretty good splint so improvise where/when necessary.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I used to be an EMT in a previous life. However, I'll echo comments here. I always have, at least, a basic first aid kit on the bike...

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a bonus question for the EMTs or paras or trained people. This one made me shiver and was quite the suprise.

How do you check a person for internal bleeding?

Since we obviously have people with skills that far surpass mine feel free to add to this thread with things like..........never remove an impaled object from your or another's body. Stabilize it somehow and leave it be.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It depends upon the location of the Internal bleeding e.g. Head, thorax abdomen, limbs.
If you are drilling down that far, locate articles on medical websites and keep them on your phone. Good homework 😉

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
673 Posts
Here is a bonus question for the EMTs or paras or trained people. This one made me shiver and was quite the suprise.

How do you check a person for internal bleeding?

Since we obviously have people with skills that far surpass mine feel free to add to this thread with things like..........never remove an impaled object from your or another's body. Stabilize it somehow and leave it be.
I'm totally not that kind of doctor so do your own due diligence rather than listen to some random dude on the internet. But I have taken some first responder training, etc. My instructor's take on internal bleeding was, if their heart rate and bp don't look good, and they don't look good (pale) and there's not much or any external bleeding, they are either going into shock really hard, and/or they have internal bleeding. And the take home message was, it doesn't really matter. There's not much you can do (as a non-professional) for internal bleeding in the field anyway. Treat them for shock and get the pros involved ASAP.

I carry a pulse oximeter because they are dirt cheap and tell you a lot. 10-25 bucks on Ebay. Lots of YouTube resources on how to use one and what the information tells you. Everybody should have one around the house anyway.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Depends or Walmart Assurance men's absorbent pads soak up an incredible amount of fluids; urine, coolant, blood, etc.
When new, about the size of one of those pagers they hand you at a bar or restaurant while waiting for a table, and will expand to about the size of a half a loaf of bread when full. Prostate cancer survivor here; left a spare in my pocket and it went through the wash.

Reactions: Solarguy
1 - 20 of 21 Posts