StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a leaky rear tire add air and an hour later it is 10 15 psi down. Last night I sprayed soapy water all over the tire and could not find any air leaks. Checked the valve stem also.

These are a set of Anakee lll front and rear with 5373 miles on them. They are showing signs of cupping and wear. But still have lots of rubber left on them.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Scott

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Did you spray soapy water on the bead area? What about the rim? They have been know to develop fractures. If air is escaping, the soapy water will find it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leaky tire

I checked the bead all around both sides but I did not check the rim. I sincerely hope it is not that! I just ordered a new set of BT45's I don't ever hit the dirt on the strom.

Did you spray soapy water on the bead area? What about the rim? They have been know to develop fractures. If air is escaping, the soapy water will find it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tale the wheel off. Put 8 in of water in the tub and roll it around in there. Best done when the misses is out of the house.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yup, when you've reached the point of frustration it's bathtub time. You WILL find it that way. Goes without saying, try not to submerge your bearings.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had a similar slow leak a few years back. Eventually, after many revolutions of the tire I found tiny bubbles. There was a small staple that had worn down level with the tread. How something so small could go clear through was puzzling.

My suggestion is to soap it again & look closely.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Finish nails can submerge below a visible level on the tread. Sometimes the only way to see a nail is from the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My recent experience with this issue was the little valve within the valve stem. I think I bent it putting air in. Could have just been a little spec of dirt. Who knows? Try the soap over the end of your uncapped valve stem.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Have a leaky rear tire add air and an hour later it is 10 15 psi down. Last night I sprayed soapy water all over the tire and could not find any air leaks. Checked the valve stem also.

These are a set of Anakee lll front and rear with 5373 miles on them. They are showing signs of cupping and wear. But still have lots of rubber left on them.

Anyone have any thoughts?Scott
Slow leak in my rear tire was so slow that it didn't show up so you'd see it with the tire turned in 8" of water in a tub.

My mechanic neighbor said to pump it up to 75 psi and try again, it wouldn't hurt anything if I didn't try to ride it that way. Sure enough, there was a tiny stream of bubbles from the base of the valve stem. It had dried out and cracked a bit INSIDE the wheel.

Apparently not much leaked out sitting at 40 psi. Under the stress of riding ( acceleration, I need to lose some weight, lousy condition of Chicago streets ) the leak accelerated.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I found a hard-to-find leak in an alloy wheel on a truck once. They do happen but the bead is quite common. I read some Heid K60 guys saying the fronts were notorious.

On the tire bath I used a deep plastic wall paper tray to do one of my scooters on the center stand w/o taking off the tire and found a leak. +1 on over pressurizing it a bit to help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Valve core?????

Take the valve cap off and put a dab of soapy water on the valve stem/core just for kicks. I've had two occasions when the core was the culprit. I agree I would call 10-15 lbs in an hour a pretty fast leak. It should show up it's got to be coming from somewhere. Good luck. Jim in Ojai, CA
PS As for tires I'm liking the new Continental TKC 70 on my 2012 DL1000.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts