StromTrooper banner

I am old enough to know better...maybe

1482 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  The Golden Monkey
I was riding home from bike night last night on the Vee and came up to a stop light in the slow lane of an undevided 4 lane. It was the last light before a long stretch of open road. A newer BMW 1200 GS came from behind me and changed lanes to be beside me at the light. He checked the funky strom out real good.

I am not "usually" a traffic light racer but for some reason I lost my common sense. Mr. BMW launched from the light at the first hint of green and pulled a respectable wheelie as he showed me his tail light. I thought what the hell, no traffic ahead in either lane so I let the throttle bodies have a good whack. By red line of second gear I was on him, third left him wondering what the hell was under the tank as he disappeared behind me before third gear hit three digits.

$4500 (and 200cc smaller) used rice burner has expensive plate of sour kraut for dinner. Warts be dammed, I love my Vee.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
The GS pilot was probably just nursing his final drive, squid.

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Know better and do better are two different things. Sometimes it take some pain to get the two to match and sometimes you don't get any older.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Pat. But Im usually pretty safe when pointed in a straight line. My main concern was not getting another citation for my riding abilities from my biggest fans....the polease.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess you would have to ask Mr. BMW how hard he was trying. I am not sure at what point he gave up or came to his senses, but I chuckled all the way home none the less.

On my Harley, I would have just pretended I didn't see him on his yellow bike with yellow gear.

· Premium Member
3,322 Posts
He probably sheared off all the splines from his final drive when his wheelie completed!

Sometimes you just have to nutt up, and go for it!

· Premium Member
59 Posts
I am old enough to know better

I find it extremely rewarding to give my VEE the juice when I am in mixed company. If the mixed company happens to be riding a GS or an HD of any sort I feel a little more smug as well. Is it ever a good idea to risk a 3 digit speeding ticket for the moment of smugness, I am not right person to ask?
This said I have actually made a consious decision top keep my bike under 100mph because I know I have been playing the odds. But I sure miss that blast of adrenaline between 5000 and 8500 rpms.

"Good Luck with the throttle control!"

· Premium Member
2,249 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.