StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lusting for the past four mos. and waiting for a new home to close, I'm now the VERY happy and proud owner of a very clean blue '04 DL650 with 17.1k on the clock.

At this point, I can't stop cracking the door of the garage, flipping on the light, and just looking at it. :thumbup:

What it came with:
soft panniers
tank bag,
Beaver fuse block
Madstad windshield brace
throttle lock,
DL 650 and 1000 seats
Fork brace (needs to be installed)
up-and-back bar risers,
tool/storage tube
and gear indicator.

What I want to add: (reccos are welcome)
Center stand.
Hard luggage of some sort.
Skid plate.
Crash bars. (maybe)

I've still got my '00 KLX 300, so the Wee will probably be used mostly for commuting and touring/fire road camping here in CO, UT, NM and AZ, I'll keep the KLX as the trail/woods bike.

thx to all who post here. Originally I was in the camp of some sort of Beemer, but was afraid of the costs and some of the driveline issues they've had. I believe your posts and wisdom have led me down a better path.

Gritz

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Gritz,
Congratulations on your new home AND your new bike!

Welcome to your new home here!

Barry

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm now the owner of a very clean blue '04 DL650 with 17.1k on the clock.

What I want to add:
Center stand.
Hard luggage of some sort.
Skid plate.
Crash bars. (maybe)

The Wee will probably be used mostly for commuting and touring/fire road camping here in CO, UT, NM and AZ.

Gritz
All of the above accessories would improve the Wee for your camping purpose. I went with the OEM centerstand and Pat Walsh Design protection, and am happy with those choices. I had a set of aluminum cases from a previous bike, so went with them but there are several hard luggage options available. I also added a set of Aerostitch tank panniers for increased carrying capacity and more weather protection and like them.

Ride safe and enjoy the Wee.

·
Premium Member
2007 DL650ABS
302 Posts
Re: I am now... one of you...

Resistance....
Was futile...

Congrats and welcome

·
Registered
95 Posts
"At this point, I can't stop cracking the door of the garage, flipping on the light, and just looking at it. :thumbup:"

It's good to see I'm not the only one that did that. :yesnod:

Congrats on the Wee. I, too, considered a Beemer but was lured to the dark side via the sickos on this forum. May the force be with you as you search for the perfect additions to your bike (The center stand is must in my humble opinion).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Congrats man and it sounds like a great setup. Congrats on the home for you new bike. I mean the home for the family and the new bike... Or do I?!?!?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all...

The first day of my Strom,

getting plates...more than I thought.
getting insurance...not bad.
237 miles after work evening/night ride...<$20 gas

continuing to pinch myself 'cause I have a Strom...Priceless

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Gritz ,Congratulations on getting your DL650 it sounds like your bike was well kitted out when you bought it ,i bought my 2010 DL650A just over a month ago after selling my Hayabusa ,as much as i enjoyed owning the Busa my wee does everything i want and is a lot cheaper to insure and maintain ,i fitted a 45 litre R Jays top box which i had used on the hayabusa occasionally, a set of engine bars have been fitted and bash plate ,a set of MTD pannier frames which are designed to mount hard luggage but i have attached a set of Dririder soft panniers which i had bought ages ago on E Bay with the intention of using them on the Busa ,the bags are a good size and can be expanded if required ,inside the topbox and soft panniers i use a set of Honda Goldwing luggage liner bags(i had these when i owned my Goldwing) i leave the panniers attached to the bike and just remove the liner bags, i have fitted a set of OEM hand guards and head light protectors also i have a moto tube attached to the luggage frames it is the perfect size for a 1 litre coffee flask, i made myself a radiator guard from a section of black powder coated security mesh which i have cable tied into place, i managed to buy a OEM centre stand on E Bay for $75.00 (i must admit i struggled with the springs then decided to take the bike to the Suzuki dealer who i buy my bikes from and they fitted them while i had a coffee in their cafe' ,i am extremely pleased with my wee and i am sure you will be just as pleased with yours ,(just ignore the :jawdrop:balance on your credit card after getting all your add ons :green_lol:.Ride Safe ,Paul.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts