StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 2 years I have been riding my strom 1000, and 1 in 10 changes it would false neutral between 1st and 2nd. Annoying but I lived with it.
I use to hold the adjuster up in second as it used to pop out more if I did not.

Then I thought the other day in what can only be described as pure brilliance "I will look at the adjuster". Looked good , but I though what the heck will adjust it out so the throw is a little higher off the boot. In other words raised the adjuster so the level went up.

Went for a 200 klm ride on the weekend. Not one false neutral.

Hope this helps others if they get a lot of false neutrals., sort of counter intuitive, as I create less pressure on the adjuster in my mind , but it worked.

Cheers
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
That would be the only way there is for adjusting the gear lever angle without bending things.
Not on a 1l bike...

There is a turnbuckle sort of linkage on the 1000cc bikes.

He was probably never letting it get down far enough to ratchet properly before...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Both the 650 and 1000 have fine adjusters for the shift linkage to set the pedal height. Here's the 1000 specific but both work the same way. Loosen lock nuts #32 and #35. One has a left hand thread so pay attention to which way loosens. Then #27 will raise and lower the shift level as it is rotated. Changing spline position is a coarse adjustment.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks greywolf, your explanation saved me 10 minutes, and even then it would not have looked any where near as good!

Its people like you make it easy for people like me to own a strom.
Its a family thing:thumbup:

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thats funny.
I thought it was just me :hurray:

Takeing off from the traffic lights, or work in a hurry, not lifting high enough, reving the :furious: out of it.

I never thought to adjust it, just thought I had to learn to ride. :green_lol:

I'll look into both.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thats funny.
I thought it was just me :hurray:

Takeing off from the traffic lights, or work in a hurry, not lifting high enough, reving the :furious: out of it.

I never thought to adjust it, just thought I had to learn to ride. :green_lol:

I'll look into both.
Now adjust ALL levers (feet and hand) for play and angle to suit you
Change the handle bar angle if needed, then the lever angles.
everyones bike will be set up differently,,,,
my clutch lever is set high for my big feet and thick touring boots, my rear brake lever is level with my peg, my handlebar is tilted back slightly so then I had to adjust my levers down to an ideal angle for me.
Rather than trying to lift the lever higher when changing up gears, you may need to fully release pressure (foot all the way down) before applying a little pre-tension to the gear lever before pulling in the clutch to change gear,

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I very rarely find a false neutral but I do have like a double click into top-is that a adjustment issue--must say it is causing me no drama it is just I have to feel it into 6th.:confused:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I very rarely find a false neutral but I do have like a double click into top-is that a adjustment issue--must say it is causing me no drama it is just I have to feel it into 6th.:confused:
I have the same thing- that's how I know I've hit top gear :green_lol:

The change from 5th to 6th is the only time I have ever hit a false neutral so I wonder if the notchieness is part of an inherent design fault in the gearbox :confused:

Once I got used to the bike the false neutral issue became pretty much non existent.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Are you sure about that?
Haha, er I mean SHIFT lever, It might be hard to operate the clutch lever with my foot !!!!... Im a nuf nuf at typing

On GW diagram I wound nut 32 and 35 all the way in to shorten rod 27 as much as possible, that was enough shift lever adjustment for my big feet.

I also missed second gear a few times on the way home from original purchase until I got home and "set up" the bikes controls to suit me.

p.s. I do not have stock shift & brake levers installed, mine are now the aftermarket folding type.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts