StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the guy who discovers something that the rest of the world already knows and then goes on the spread the word as the self appointed expert?

So after a relationship with Vstroms going back to 2005, I installed a Givi Airflow windscreen today. It was windy and only plus 3 degrees so also a great day for a first impression. I am absolutely amazed at the improvement. I have ridden motorcycles for almost 50 years (49) and I was never really sure what buffeting was (it’s a motorcycle, I’m going fast outside, it’s windy) but today in the absense of buffeting, I now know exactly what buffeting is (and at my age it can be one more thing I can forget).
Land vehicle Tire Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
2014 DL 650, 2014 KLX250s
37 Posts
Yep. I bought my 2014 650 earlier this year and had never experienced the buffeting that this bike had…blurred vision and a headache type of buffeting. I thought I’d made a terrible mistake with the vstrom. Then I installed the Givi Air Flow and all my troubles went away.

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 650
30 Posts
I was a bit apprehensive about buffeting before I bought my bike due to some stuff I read on here and elsewhere. Luckily, my 650 came with a some sort of windscreen "patented by Givi". It's been working out well for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I am new to the adventure bike world, I have been riding cruisers for years. I’m fairly tall @ 6’2” and have always had buffeting. I’ve been riding my new to me ‘14 1K with an Air Flow wind screen and it is the most comfortable I have ever been on a bike. No buffeting what so ever, and I love that I can lower it when riding off road so I’m not looking thru the wind screen.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I always used the Madstad screen - was the best farkle ever and also a lip as well. Never got entirely away from wind effects especially in strong cross winds.
The CB500x had wings that went with the Madstad and that really helped ...no air flow coming up. I liked the adjustability of the Madstad and there was never any back pressure.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Window

Oddly now I'm on effectively a naked bike ...the air flow is exceptionally smooth.
Toy Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Go figure. :unsure:
Now I'm generally riding at 90-100 KPH where the Vstrom touring could get up as high at 150 indicated across the Dakotas.
The little Puig windscreen on the CB300F takes pressure off my shoulders but the air flow around the helmet is quiet and smooth.
I'd always tended to windscreens and with the touring screen on the ST1100 I have never felt anything that effective but then that bike was very wide and it also had that fairing which again kept air from coming up around the motor where I think a lot of buffeting starts.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Fuel tank Motor vehicle

I think there was someone on here that had made a pair of wings for his Strom.
Might be worth pursuing. My 2cents worth.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Had one of the 2015 and do miss it. I actually took it off before trading it in, hoping it would fit my 21’. It doesn’t lol. Should probably try and sell it for a few bucks to go towards a new one

·
Registered
16,042 Posts
I've been happy with the MRA Vario on the Wee Strom. Ordered one for my new F750GS and it was OK. Then I got a Sargent seat and it raised me up a bit so I'm back in buffet city. I think Puig makes one that is supposed to work mo bettah but I hate to send another couple hundred bucks on a maybe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always used the Madstad screen - was the best farkle ever and also a lip as well. Never got entirely away from wind effects especially in strong cross winds.
The CB500x had wings that went with the Madstad and that really helped ...no air flow coming up. I liked the adjustability of the Madstad and there was never any back pressure.
View attachment 294432
Don't mean to sabatoge the thread but just curious as to your thoughts regarding the width of the Madstad compared to the somewhat narrow design of the front of the CB500x?
Any issues with wind buffeting shoulders/arms and such (aside from the norm)?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts