StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Does anyone have experience of putting a Magura style hydraulic clutch on a Strom 650?

My left hand is suffering from arthritis these days, and I am in need of hydraulic assistance.

Any information would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Crazyhorse

·
Registered
648 Posts
I put up a similar question on here some time back. I had the thought that maybe the hydraulic clutch set up on the dl1000 might fit the dl650 and help me and my arthritis out. I got no knowledgeable answers nobody really knew if it would fit or not. there were several dummies saying get more exercise or similar. I have ridden dirt bikes with the magura hydraulic clutch system and it is quite noticible on the dirt bikes I have ridden, much better. that is all I can tell you. I would bet it would help quite a bit on the dl650. keep us informed if you do go that route.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I put up a similar question on here some time back. I had the thought that maybe the hydraulic clutch set up on the dl1000 might fit the dl650 and help me and my arthritis out. I got no knowledgeable answers nobody really knew if it would fit or not. there were several dummies saying get more exercise or similar. I have ridden dirt bikes with the magura hydraulic clutch system and it is quite noticible on the dirt bikes I have ridden, much better. that is all I can tell you. I would bet it would help quite a bit on the dl650. keep us informed if you do go that route.
It would depend a lot on the D650 having a lighter clutch. The hydro clutch on a DL1000 is extremely stiff.

Are there some cable levers you can get that might have a better mechanical advantage?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If it is a big problem consider a Rekluse auto clutch I think they do one for the 650

Reactions: hoggdoc

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello

Today I spent some time cleaning the gear change layout and re-greasing everything that needed it.

Also, cleaned the clutch lever and even gave the cable a rub down and a tidy.

After adjusting everything to get a good feel on the lever, took a test ride and the gear change was better ie smoother, but the effort to pull the lever in was unchanged.

So am having a good look at the Magura system even though its quite expensive for what it is, but if it means I can continue to ride a while longer, it may be the answer I seek.

Any other options anyone might suggest would be appreciated.

Crazyhorse

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You really only need to use the clutch to get rolling from a stop.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Clean everything, find some tubing that'll slip loosely over the pushrod, fill that with a light grease. (Needs to be thin, hard and straight, plastic or rubber, not metal)

As noted the DL1000 clutch is no lightweight anyway and in a lot of ways worse than the 650's clutch (engagement range is very small). (I have both bikes).
BOTH were a lot lighter when cleaned with the grease trick added to keep them clean but my hands are fine so the force wasn't that much of a problem anyway.

I dig the issue here with hands that don't work, there are some automatic bikes now and if you want to keep riding that may be an option. (My wife has a DCT Honda CTX and for just cruisin it smokes the DL). Or (sacrilege) a scooter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello

Today I spent some time cleaning the gear change layout and re-greasing everything that needed it.

Also, cleaned the clutch lever and even gave the cable a rub down and a tidy.

After adjusting everything to get a good feel on the lever, took a test ride and the gear change was better ie smoother, but the effort to pull the lever in was unchanged.

So am having a good look at the Magura system even though its quite expensive for what it is, but if it means I can continue to ride a while longer, it may be the answer I seek.

Any other options anyone might suggest would be appreciated.

Crazyhorse
Consider a Barnett cable. They're really nice and can be made to any length. Also be sure your cable is adjusted to factory specs. Adjusting my Husqvarna cable to specs along with the Barnett cable made a noticeable difference in pull pressure.

Sent from my Etch a Sketch

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My son was 5 when he got a KX65 so I fitted one of those easy pulls.

it did reduce the effort required but it also reduced the travel at the motor so it resulted permanent clutch drag.

That was not a problem on a MX bike but would be for a city bike.

·
Administrator
5,727 Posts
I agree, but it would depend on how much unnecessary movement is available in the lever to start with.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,339 Posts
In the long run, I think one of the auto clutch kits would serve you better than the hydraulic conversion. Probably not too different in cost in the end.

The EFM system is very well engineered. I would want it over the Rekluse personally, but it will be more expensive and you do have to send in your clutch basket ( or easily buy a used one to send in ) for them to modify for the parts.

Reactions: Big B

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
I would try a different clutch lever first. As people have pointed out, hydraulic clutches aren't necessarily lighter. In my experience they are usually heavier.

I have a damaged left hand, index and middle finger bend very little and the top of the ring finger is gone. I got some CRG knockoffs with a different bend and some adjustment. Made a world of difference.

edit: here's a link to the CRG lever, it comes in a shorty and the standard length. You can find cheaper knock-offs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think the easy pull would work as my Wee does have more clutch lever travel than needed. the mechanism would look pretty odd up by the handlebars. I looked down where the clutch cable connects to the engine and there is very little space for the mechanism down there.
the hydraulic clutch on the dl1000 may be stiffer than the cable operated clutch on the 650 but you have to remember that it is compressing much stiffer springs than the 650 springs. So the dl1000 hyd clutch system compressing dl650 clutch springs would be much lighter. if it would fit into the dl650 space.
If I ran across a badly busted dl1000 being parted out I would see if I couldn't get the whole hyd clutch system for a decent price. I would not want to experiment around while buying all new suzuki parts. them new zuki parts are expensive!
there are thousands of dirt bikes with Magura hyd clutch system on them and a lot of satisfied riders. hyd actuation has a lot less friction drag than cable operated clutch systems, that is why they are so popular and so much easier to use. Magura started with dirt bikes and moved to other bikes.
I had an auto clutch on a KTM I had. they have been around for quite some time. there is ups and downs to them.
I will look further into the different levers. that may do the job. It would be nice to ride a dl with different levers, rather than just buy something and try it out.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I think the easy pull would work as my Wee does have more clutch lever travel than needed. the mechanism would look pretty odd up by the handlebars. I looked down where the clutch cable connects to the engine and there is very little space for the mechanism down there.
the hydraulic clutch on the dl1000 may be stiffer than the cable operated clutch on the 650 but you have to remember that it is compressing much stiffer springs than the 650 springs. So the dl1000 hyd clutch system compressing dl650 clutch springs would be much lighter. if it would fit into the dl650 space.
If I ran across a badly busted dl1000 being parted out I would see if I couldn't get the whole hyd clutch system for a decent price. I would not want to experiment around while buying all new suzuki parts. them new zuki parts are expensive!
there are thousands of dirt bikes with Magura hyd clutch system on them and a lot of satisfied riders. hyd actuation has a lot less friction drag than cable operated clutch systems, that is why they are so popular and so much easier to use. Magura started with dirt bikes and moved to other bikes.
I had an auto clutch on a KTM I had. they have been around for quite some time. there is ups and downs to them.
I will look further into the different levers. that may do the job. It would be nice to ride a dl with different levers, rather than just buy something and try it out.
Not sure the hydro setup from a DL1000 would do you any good. The slave is on the passenger side cover, rod passes through the case and actuates the clutch on the drivers side. You would need something where you could attach a slave setup to the clutch arm on the driver side case of the 650

·
Registered
648 Posts
There is no clutch arm on a dl650. it has an actuator on the left side and pushes what looks like the same clutch rod through the the case. if you have seen both dl1000 and dl650 models with the sprocket cover off they look surprising the same except for the clutch rod actuator. dl650 is cable operated and dl1000 is hyd, It looks like the hyd SC would bolt into the same holes that the cable operated actuator uses. If the sc will bolt in, it would be a bolt in conversion. I wouldn't mind slotting the holes if that would make the sc fit. You would have to see both models without the sprocket cover in place to see how identical the actuator mounting holes look. Never know for sure until some one tries it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts