StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry- didnt feel like scanning all threads. What is a really good touring windshield that will stop the hurricane winds on my helmet???? Thanks!!!!! Ride safe

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry, don't feel like typing a decent reply.

·
Registered
86 Posts
have you tried putting the stock windsheild down to the lowest position,it will give you cleaner air at the helmet level.i bought a WindStrom windshield and though it helped keep air off it gave me problems with crosswinds and the bike became unstable at high speeds when passing trucks and other highsided vehicles so i went back to the stock.some guys have even cut down their stock windshields or bought a European sport windsheild.bigger isnt always better.do a windsheild search on this site,lots of info,Good Luck with it.

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
Try a GIVI! I use one and it seems like a good compromise. Go to the GIVI website and take a look.
The Givi is the best shield for the money "bar none"!!!!! Go to Twisted Throttle and take a look.

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I nominate The Shepherd for making the best response ever in any thread I have read on any boeard!

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
Try not to be pricks!!!!

If you guys don't want to respond.... "then don't".
He isn't a noob, just doesn't visit/participate here much lately.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I just added a MRA Vario screen and I LOVE it, had 'r up to 105 indicated with smooth air on the helmet. I'm 6'6" by the way. MRA Vario with the Madstad bracket is a great solution IMO.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've got the MP Cycle designs and it works well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I mounted the Laminar touring lip on the stock windshield which is in the middle position. Ride at 70 with my modular helmet open and I like it. just my .02

·
Registered
140 Posts
windshield

Put a Givi and MadStad on last week and am very happy, considering that I don't like windshields at all. Started with just the Givi and was disappointed, but with the bracket and it's adjustability I am able to enjoy highway speeds with no head shaking. I just have an inexpensive Bell helmet.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
No windshield = best clean wind. Cut that sucker DOWN!

·
Registered
161 Posts
madstad givi is exelent if it was iffy or no good id just say go for it ..no problem

Attachments

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I did go through a bunch of the threads here and elsewhere, and the GIVI seemed to have the most positive reviews with the fewest negative comments overall, and it's priced $50 - $100 less than the others, so I tried it with the stock mounting bracket.

I came from an old Honda with a huge National Cycle Plexifaring which kept me in a nice quiet bubble with just a nice breeze on my face - so I couldn't stand either the horrid buffeting nor the LOUD wind noise associated with any position of the stock V-Strom windshield. Taking it off got rid of the buffeting, but the noise was unbearable and forced the use of earplugs.

The GIVI at the highest 'legal' position of stock bracket gets rid of the wind noise (I can actually hear the motor now), allows me to keep the face shield up even at 55-60, and prevents buffeting for almost all speeds except for the occasional shake on the freeway when there are various crosswinds. I do look through it, but that doesn't bother me. Does it catch the wind? Yes - but not to the point of being scary, and, frankly, I think the sail created by the faring is a much bigger issue than the larger windshield.

The Madstad brackets get almost universal kudos, I just haven't decided if I'm willing to blow another $70 since the GIVI gets me about 95% of the way there...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did go through a bunch of the threads here and elsewhere, and the GIVI seemed to have the most positive reviews with the fewest negative comments overall, and it's priced $50 - $100 less than the others, so I tried it with the stock mounting bracket.

I came from an old Honda with a huge National Cycle Plexifaring which kept me in a nice quiet bubble with just a nice breeze on my face - so I couldn't stand either the horrid buffeting nor the LOUD wind noise associated with any position of the stock V-Strom windshield. Taking it off got rid of the buffeting, but the noise was unbearable and forced the use of earplugs.

The GIVI at the highest 'legal' position of stock bracket gets rid of the wind noise (I can actually hear the motor now), allows me to keep the face shield up even at 55-60, and prevents buffeting for almost all speeds except for the occasional shake on the freeway when there are various crosswinds. I do look through it, but that doesn't bother me. Does it catch the wind? Yes - but not to the point of being scary, and, frankly, I think the sail created by the faring is a much bigger issue than the larger windshield.

The Madstad brackets get almost universal kudos, I just haven't decided if I'm willing to blow another $70 since the GIVI gets me about 95% of the way there...

just get them job done

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info! Traveling to Deals Gap soon and wanted some info on this. I raised my windshield to the highest position and really not to pleased with the results. The GIVI looks like the choice of people who know!............Oh yeah, to the funny guys that replied. It's not about being lazy. Most of my hobbies,like riding my Strom, take most of my time rather than spending most of it in front of a computer scrolling threads! Thanks to the ones with helpful replies!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts