StromTrooper banner

Hurricane Gear

1220 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  garandman
So I'm here in the Northeast and have been riding in all sorts of weather given a hurricane is on my doorstep. I live on Long Island. I have some old rain gear that isn't cutting it anymore, and I'm looking to replace it with newer gear. I've read many threads on gear but what I'm looking for is gear that can be layered for all year conditions. I know you all have favorites so I'm willing to hear all opinions. Thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I like max protection such as this dry suit from NRS, it also has reflective piping should you be swept off the island

· Registered
155 Posts
note from the land of Katrina

Don't screw around. Make sure you have a LOT of fresh water and non perishable food.

We were completely on our own for over a week, power was restored in the miraculous span of two weeks.

It's a category one but DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE your possible peril.

· Registered
155 Posts
And by the way--get ready for the insurance companies to screw you into the ground.

On the Gulf Coast we can no longer get coverage for wind damage--we had to join the wind pool-- which costs us $2700.00 extra a year on top of our homeowner's policies.

In the land of Katrina the only thing worse than an insurance agent is a child molestor.

You are about to find out about "good neighbors" and "safe hands". Be warned--water damage is not covered unless you have flood insurance. They will look for water marks and if they find one they will disallow any claims.

Good luck to all of you.

We have learned this from hard experience.

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are taking this very seriously. My house is 275 ft above sea level which is much higher than most of the island. Most homes are at sea level or only slightly higher. Long Island has south facing beaches and at it's widest is only 16 miles across. There are also over 2 million people living here! It's been raining hard for several hours and the eye is supposed to pass over us at 10 AM. I'm not venturing out but I was out the past couple of days and caught in some serious weather. We've had record rainfall here for the past month and I'm in need of new rain gear. The problem I have is finding something I can wear all year round. That's why I'm looking for a layering type gear.

· Registered
170 Posts
I'm 3' above the water of Noyac Bay, LI and about 150 yds from it.

Actually, at the present moment, I'm up the hill from my home, waiting this hurricane out, in a dry, safe house. Hopefully I'll have a home to return to sometime tomorrow.

Irony is, I just received my Kilimanjaro waterproof jacket yesterday, but have no intention of taking my Wee out in this weather. But I can tell you, the jacket is layered and well made. Besides that, some $25 rain pants.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
water damage is not covered unless you have flood insurance
Damage from a body of water is covered only by federal flood insurance. Damage from water leaking in, roof leak or broken pipe for example, or wind driven rain through a damaged roof or window are all covered under homeowner's insurance---but if there is also any possibility of water damage from a body of water, the claims adjusters will try to say it was all due to the flood. Flood insurance must be bought at least 30 days before the damage to be valid, and it doesn't cost a lot unless you live in a mapped flood plain. I'm not in a flood plain, but a monster storm could cause nearby water to wash the soil away under my house's foundation, so I bought flood insurance. I also bought earthquake coverage on my homeowner's policy (extra cost option), but tsunami damage from the earthquake would only be covered by the federal flood policy. Contact your insurance agent for more info (and in case I got anything wrong--won't be the first time, sez the Mrs.).

· Registered
288 Posts
The best and most durable rain gear out there is Grunden. It's not fashionable on a motorcycle, but it is the only set of rain gear that could hold up to more than a season of commercial fishing. They make some colorful styles that can be seen better on a bike.

I really love my Grundens...Used them when I worked on party boats and crab boats out of San Francisco.

· Registered
20 Posts
frog toggs are great, living in the south, they breath and keep you dry... it is not hot as some of the rain gear that is like rubber. Good news, I have put them under my riding suite in the winter just to block the cold wind. They are cheap and good for a few years, depending oh how many times you use them. Frogg has a more expensive suite, which I have just purchased but have not used. They do not pack down as small as the regular froggs. Rain, wind and cold have done their job.

· Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I have the Tourmaster two piece Defender suit like half the motorcycling world.

Have some very high speed foul weather gear from Musto for sailing, but it's not particularly suitable for motorcycling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.